Trail building help

I have access to a large private ranch in the Northern CA, and since the single track riding options in the area are dismal at best, I'm considering building my own trail.

I've got pretty much no experience in this, and after making a pathetic attempt by my own, I realize I need some help. Anyone have any resources / ideas on where to get started?

What I have to work with: 400+ acres in a canyon, which inclues a creek and some steep hillsides. Most of the ranch is hilly, so there would probably need to be quite a few switchbacks. There really aren't any restrictions, except to stay out the cows' way which is easy enough.

Any input would be appreciated.

http://www.imba.com/resources/trail-building

I've been to an IMBA trail building class. Tons and tons of info to know and learn. See if they're teaching a class anywhere near you.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

here is the machine to build miles of trail in a short time, they can be rented.

http://sutterequipment.com/sutter_500.html

hitek79 has the right idea, there is some great info in the IMBA site. Another good place to do some research is the trail building and advocacy forum over at - [ame="http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57"]Trail Building and Advocacy - Mountain Bike Forums[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by rlewis View Post
    Most of the ranch is hilly, so there would probably need to be quite a few switchbacks.
    NEVER!

Just keep going sidehill until you can flatten out to an appropriate turn.

Buy a mcleod. Probably the most useful trail cutting tool made.

And yeah IMBA puts out a trailbuilding manual that has some really good tips and brings up a lot of concerns that might not be intuitive at first.

Where is this? That's like a dream come true for me.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    here is the machine to build miles of trail in a short time, they can be rented.

http://sutterequipment.com/sutter_500.html
    In the hands of the wrong operator and trail designer, those can be the kiss of death to potentially excellent trails.
    Or they can really help...but there is no substitute for hand finishing.
    I have a *bit* of experience with this...do you need help flagging corridor? I'll do it for airfare and unlimited Kimchi.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by hitek79 View Post
    http://www.imba.com/resources/trail-building

I've been to an IMBA trail building class. Tons and tons of info to know and learn. See if they're teaching a class anywhere near you.
    Thanks, this is definitely a good place to start. I think I would probably be considered "wrong hands" for the Sutter 500... at least now

Few things,
    1 go walk the land.
    2 flag/tape out a trail
    3 rake it out
    4 ride/adjust as needed
    5 really dig it out if you like it and it rides well
    6 encourage others to help and dont forget beer
    7 you can always change the trail if it doesn't work in certian spots
    8 ride it more

Bike trails are like women, you dont know what you have until you ride it a few times.
    Last edited by 02sedona; 12-02-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Where in Nor Cal? Rent a mini excavator and hire me to knock it out. I would need trail rights of course
    Hello darkness my old friend

One thing I learned from time that I consider very important- Turns are never too wide. As you walk the trail, you'll design turns that are way too tight. Go for long radius turns and you'll still be surprised how tight they are on a bike.

Flag some turns in a field if you could and then ride it. You'll get a feel for radius's that way.

It's easier to spend 30hrs to design a trail the right way than to design it wrong in 5hrs and then go back and fix it.

Always pick the higher piece of land. Don't go into those little dips that "look cool to go through". It creates a puddle and will take more time later to fill in the hole. Just go around it and always stay high on the land. Low spots are where the water rest. As my buddy Joe put it to me, "Water is a trailbuilders worst enemy."

IMBA is a big help. I had them come here to Moosic Mountain this year (Chris and Leslie FWIW). I've put in over 400 hrs of volounteer trailbuilding at Moosic in the last 3 years. Design is key. Can't repeat it enough. Spend the time to design it right.

The other important thing is to work with the land owner and keep in touch. Give them updates and take them out to show them your next project. Explain why the switchback is where it is and how the water will flow so the trail (and their land) doesn't wash out. "Sustainable" is the key word that land owners have an orgasm over. Remember that word.

Trailbuilding is just as fun... Or arguably, more fun than riding. There's something that really connects you to the trail you built when you ride it. You know the rocks personally, the roots, the trees, the streams, the turns, the climbs. All-in-all a little "thanks" or "great job" is all the motivation it takes to be motivated to continue building.

Ttyl, Aceman
    Take a sniff. Pull it out... The taste is gunna move ya when ya pop it in your mouth!

A few years ago we were loading bikes and leaving the shop to go ride some forest single trak. A guy from HK just got off a plane and wanted to rent a bike and we agreed to take him riding. We were wailing down some trail that petered out into an area under construction, and wild pigs tore the whole place up like they do.

He asked how we built the trails... "Well, you are from England, yeah? So a drag in fox hunting where you drag a lure with fox urine for the hounds to follow? Well we drag a lure with truffle oil on it where we want the trail on it instead of fox urine, and the pigs tear up the ground so well we just roll through a few times on the bikes, and BAM! New trail.

To this day he probably tells the story...

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    NEVER!

Just keep going sidehill until you can flatten out to an appropriate turn.

Buy a mcleod. Probably the most useful trail cutting tool made.

And yeah IMBA puts out a trailbuilding manual that has some really good tips and brings up a lot of concerns that might not be intuitive at first.

Where is this? That's like a dream come true for me.
    I have absolutely no value to add other than the following advice: if you do nothing else, get Kidwoo to help you out.

Then tell me where it is

2 cents:

If you are looking to build XC type trails, walk the terrain a lot before you begin. Walking it gives you a perspective to it's steepness, and pitches. Walk it at different times of the year to see how the terrain natural deals with rain, snow,and dry heat. This is really helpfull if you are looking to build a XC type trail that will be there for ever. When you are walking it, if you feel the need to run down, then that area may be a future erosion issue, but may also be the most fun part. Try and find a balance with steep/challenging/ fun terrain and a sustainable trail.

Always think about water. If this is in a rainy area, you better plan on water drainage. The trail needs to shed water off to the side(s) not down the trail.

With a creek and a canyon/hillsides you could end up with an awesome trail! Use the features and rocks, and learn how to do a bench cut, and set a realistic completion date. Large rocks that you can move can be very useful.

I have always used a pick ax (Mattock) and a metal tine leaf rake as my go to trail tools. We have a fair amount of roots and rocks here, and I find the Mattock a great tool for dealing with them, and a great tool for difficult benching.

Many people like the Mcloud too.

Trail building can be a very rewarding experience.
    The coefficent of desireability is inversly proportionate to the degree of availability.

how far North are you? Looks like IMBA is doing one of their trail builidng work shops in SF this weekend [ame="http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=669860"]IMBA visiting San Francisco THIS WEEKEND - Build/Ride Trail With Us! - Mountain Bike Forums[/ame]

also an older thread http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...trail+building

I'd start out doing a few days of trail maintenance first, especially repairing water damage, and other dirt work to get a feel for what does and doesn't last.
    A good friend would come bail you out of jail. A great friend would be sitting next to you saying..."but damn that was FUN"

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    Where in Nor Cal? Rent a mini excavator and hire me to knock it out. I would need trail rights of course
    You know how to run a mini ex?

I may have a use for you.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

get involved w/ your local mtb org, like my local www.COTAmtb.com
    my tools of choice are, depending on soil type & terrain
    chainsaw
    skidsteer ala Bobcat MT52 or Toro Dingo
    mcleod not a mccloud
    reinhard (looks like shovel bent 90*) or hazel hoe
    pulaski
    mattlock if REAL rocky but then just get a rockbar

Cut the backslope back more than you think, you'll be happier in the long run

a good primer, just don't EVER use waterbars! EVER!
    http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/...2806/index.htm
    http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/...2810/index.htm
    http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/...839/page13.htm
    http://forestry.about.com/od/chainsaws/ss/fell_tree.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Schralper View Post

Cut the backslope back more than you think, you'll be happier in the long run
    But not so wide as to allow four wheel (motorized) use...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    But not so wide as to allow four wheel (motorized) use...
    sure why not the chainsaw is for keepin out them pesky quads.
    cut the beginning/end stretches TIGHT then ........
    the backslope shouldn't matter as far as traffic
    If ya think a shallow backslope is gonna stop a dumbass you're sadly mistaken
    btw I said BACKSLOPE not trail width

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    I'm in the east bay, san ramon area. By "hire", I do you accept beer and trail rights as payment?

Thanks everyone for the great tips, I definitely have a lot to keep you busy. If any of you find yourself in the bay area, you got a trail to ride. Hopefully not a crappy one too.

I'm in the Sacto area, but happy to help dig, especially over the winter (while my biz is slow and in between pow days). I've got a couple Mcleod's, a pulaski, etc.

Bump on this...lots of good info on here as I'm about to build some trail on my property. Intent is singletrack for the kids (young, 2-7 years old now) to ride, use for trail running for both my wife and I, something for me to tool around on and maybe get a cyclocross bike for laps. Not a huge property so all in, think I'll be able to get 3/4-1 mile if used right. Have all the tools, may rent some of the heavy stuff if needed and have built a bit in the past. Any advice on fun features for the intended use? Thinking a couple of berms, have a nice downed tree for a log ride, maybe a bridge and some climbs. Stoked to get going on it as we just moved in last summer but wanted to wait for spring so I know exactly how all the water flows after snow melt and big rains.

Quote Originally Posted by rlewis View Post
    Any input would be appreciated.
    1) Walk the terrain extensively before moving even a grain of sand.

2) Note the soil type and plan trail routing where cutting/digging won't be in an area that constantly sluffs away.

3) Use rocks, trees, shrubs as ways to keep the riders from "cheat line" or "lazy route" riding that defeats your trail work. Given the chance, modern MTB riders will straightline chicanes, grade reversals/dips, etc. Cornering is for people who don't ride IMBA trails!

4) Don't forget to have fun.

5) "Having fun," building a great trail, and "relying on IMBA ideas" are opposing concepts, since IMBA is for gomers who don't know how to ride a bike or design a trail, and since IMBA is heavily pre-disposed to "flow trail" ideas and has the wrong concepts of "erosion" and/or "sustainability". (HINT: "erosion" is because of groundwater from rain or snow/snowmelt events, not from bicycles.)

https://bikefat.com/pollards-complet...uilding-guide/

Definitely would suggest some features to keep things interesting on a 1 mile track. Especially with kids. I'd put in some jumps (with go-arounds) in addition to what you mentioned.