Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

MFD All time Touring bindings? Any Beta?

Hey guys, I just saw the link on the front page advertising the MFD Alltime touring system. It looks like a very good touring option and I was wondering if anyone had any info on them like release date, price etc... Has the potential to be a game changer from the looks of it, like a trekker that doesn't suck and goes under your bindings.

Here's the link for those of you who didn't see it:

http://live.tetongravity.com/_MFD-Cr...937/75233.html

looks pretty cool
    I've got the key to the highway... I'm gonna leave here runnin', walkin's far too slow

I'd be very interested in this too if it isn't too expensive. I can't imagine it'll be available super soon though considering there's pretty much nothing on their website

Personally, i don't see it gaining much market that the duke doesn't already have or is soon to capture. I doubt theres much, if any weight savings over the Dukes, doubt the touring performance will be even equal, and well, the duke's downhill/alpine performance is just fine.

I think this came into our shop for torque testing a couple times last year.

I dont understand why you wouldnt just use the duke I guess. There is no way this is lighter, and I have a hard time believing it would tour any better.

Quote Originally Posted by QuikR12 View Post
    Personally, i don't see it gaining much market that the duke doesn't already have or is soon to capture. I doubt theres much, if any weight savings over the Dukes, doubt the touring performance will be even equal, and well, the duke's downhill/alpine performance is just fine.
    Yeah, but if they can keep it in the $100-$150 range it will be a great option. Not only will it be a Cheap add on to an already existing binding setup, but it looks like it will be lower to the ski than Dukes and you can then tour on whatever binding you want. From the looks of it, I would say it actually may be a little bit better on tours than the Dukes because of the release mechanism not being under the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ape_Natural View Post
    Yeah, but if they can keep it in the $100-$150 range it will be a great option.
    That would make good sense.

it will be lower to the ski than Dukes and you can then tour on whatever binding you want.
    I am curious as to what benefits come from having a binding lower on the ski. I would imagine that most people will be using this setup, or the dukes on a ski greater than 100 underfoot. A higher binding helps most people get on edge on a fatter ski. I love the fact that my dukes are high because it helps me edge my fatter sticks, and I am a smaller guy.

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    I love the fact that my dukes are high because it helps me edge my fatter sticks.
    Definitely agree with you on that one.... I will say that its cool their riser does 6 and 14, I often wish the dukes had a better riser.

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    A higher binding helps most people get on edge on a fatter ski. I love the fact that my dukes are high because it helps me edge my fatter sticks, and I am a smaller guy.
    I'm sure there's whole threads about this, but I strongly dislike extra leverage on fat skis in pow. The skis already turn by themselves, I don't need help 'getting on edge'. Besides, the Dukes I am on are trashed, the moving parts are all loose, and they pretty much fall into touring mode when they aren't on my feet. I would be stoked to try something like this with my trusty Deadbolts.
    I've got the key to the highway... I'm gonna leave here runnin', walkin's far too slow

I'm curious how the pivots will hold up on a design like the MFD.

On the Duke, the pivots (on the toepiece end of the binding) only see a side load when touring. When switched into downhill mode, the binding plate locks together with the baseplates and is pretty rigid laterally -- and I don't think the pivots bear any of the lateral load.

The MFD is more like a Fritschi, where the pivots see a side load when touring and when latched down into downhill mode. If those pivots are strong enough, shouldn't be a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

They need to make the front pivot similar to Naxos design. Then we would have a winner.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    They need to make the front pivot similar to Naxos design. Then we would have a winner.
    sloppy? What are you, a tele skier?

Perhaps think of it not as a better AT binding but as a really CHEAP way to tour ,if this binding worked better than trekkers and could be sold @150$ ,this looks like THE cheapest way for some dirt bag who can only afford 1 alpine setup to go touring

even if you had complete setups in AT & alpine could you see buying one if it allowed you to tour your alpine setup for 150$ ?

Dynafit has the pivot very far back for better touring , fritschi is moving the pivot back on their bindings , the pivot on this desgn does seems very far forward compared to where AT bindings are going ?

does this plate have any adapter plate type capabilities ?

Not sure if people watched the vid..

heh
    el kanone invented this in the 90's

1. looks good if you're stomping massive cliffs on each run.

2. better be prepared for huge slogs if you're touring in an alpine boot, alpine bindings, and that mod. AKA it's going to be heavy and suck to skin on.

3. Pivot point is probably way forward.

4. the dudebros (sage) who are using these are probably being heli dropped in some zone and using the bindings to venture into the final zone AKA no long approach. (that's my guess at least. honestly, who would choose as setup like this system for logging real bc miles?)

5. hey bud, in case i didn't mention it before, how do you like touring in your alpine boots?

6. Hoji stomps on Dynafits.
    TRs, photos, videos, and building skis (2 pairs so far...):
    http://wasatchprotocol.wordpress.com/

if this binding worked better than trekkers
    Trekkers are horrible to tour in due to how high your boots sit. Apparantley not a problem with this option. I think it looks pretty slick as far as having another option.

I wonder if that plate is going to have snow build up issues under it...
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by TeleThor View Post

4. the dudebros (sage) who are using these are probably being heli dropped in some zone and using the bindings to venture into the final zone AKA no long approach. (that's my guess at least. honestly, who would choose as setup like this system for logging real bc miles?)

5. hey bud, in case i didn't mention it before, how do you like touring in your alpine boots?

6. Hoji stomps on Dynafits.

There are lots of broke ski bums around here trying to make it till spring by skiing instead of working who would go for a cheap option that would get them out in the side country so you are going to tell them to forget it till they can afford the proper boots/dynafits/new skis?

hoji sounds like he has too much money to buy these

edit: the brownies have worn off a bit and now the thot comes to me ,how about if the plate had multiple mounting holes which would mean we wouldnt have to read all those fucking "where should I mount this ski ? " questions because buddy could just move his bindings around till he like's them ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-24-2010 at 09:20 PM.

The pivot looks real high. I wonder how that feels?

2. better be prepared for huge slogs if you're touring in an alpine boot...

DIN soled AT boots???

How about sled access? I doubt they'll be big for proper touring, but the exploding part of the BC market isn't really doing long approaches.

I'm not saying that I'll be an early adopter, but their does seem to be interest in a product like this if it's well executed, and and at a good price.

Also, I think their was a thread in the spring about these that had more info, speculation, and mudslinging.
    BEWARE OF FEMALE SPIES

hah, nice to see Prigge still living the dream.

looks like a decent solution to the downhill oriented backcountry problem.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

My only questions are about the bomberness of the release to touring mode and being 100% guaranteed of having no insta tele, I mean it looks similar to naxo/freerides in that respect, and also, will being down inside that channel make pivot heelpeices not release right?

Looks sick though, real sick, I dont REALLY trust dukes, although they are the best on the market currently.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Also wonder how they compare slop and instant-tele wise with respect to the Fritschi designs, because the concept seems very similar and the hinge at the front doesn't seem that bomber (only main difference seems to be the lever which is attached at the binding instead of the ski)? Anybody knows if they did any back-to-back testing?

I remember seeing a few posts on this last season. Great to see guys getting on this and pushing equipment forward!

I can't for the life of me see how its possible to mount the heel piece in enough different places such that it can accommodate the full range of BSL. That proto sure looks like it was custom made just for the boot (notice that there is a tiny cutout for the brakes - its in just the right place).

I think this is a much better solution than trekkers, and probably on-par with dukes.

I see some great possibilities if you could put a set of these on a few pairs of skis and swap bindings from plate to plate.

If this is done right, you should be able to buy a 2nd ski kit for it. Just the rear post and the front pivot mount. Then you can easily swap bindings between skis. That would be fucking huge. Then we just need an alpine binding that accepts AT boot soles better.

If Fin at Bomber designed this thing, it would be amazingly adjustable and super slick (and probably cost $289). He'd build in adjustable pivot point, 2nd ski kits, ability to move binding fore/aft w/in the gizmo, plus the whole thing would assemble/disassemble with a 5mm allen wrench. And it would be Bomber.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite