Summit East, WA - BIGGEST 1000' lift served mountain?

I know most of you guys live at the bases of 3,000' to 5,500' lift served mountains getting some good long vert on a daily basis, but I want to show you a 1000' lift served mountain that serves as a great training mountain for all the 6,000 to 10,000 vertical foot skis that surround this little mighty mouse know as Summit East or Hyak. I have skied Hoodoo, OR and know it has the best lift served steep skis in Central, OR(in my opinion) and it is also 1000'. Hoodoo just might edge out Summit East because of the Hoodoo mandatory drop chutes, but Hyak has that too.

Nov. 23, 2010

Anyway I guess I'm just stoked to save on gas and the planet by getting to ski right out the back door. (also having Alpental 3miles up the road). Not much to say for a TR except knee deep+ snow w/ partially blue skies to start the morning w/ grey skies to finish our couple laps at 2,600' in the Heart of the Cascades.

Nov. 23, 2010

The Summit at Snoqualmie is re-opening Summit east after being wiped out by the Massive Avalanche of 2009 w/ a lift on the front side and a shorter lift on the backside. Hidden Valley (on the backside) has not been lift served ski in decades. The mountain w/ serve some double diamond, black diamonds, black diamond amazing old growth, and blues, and not really any beginner terrain.

attaced is link to a short video from yesterday and a video by Fall Line Productions about the new chairs opening this season servicing terrain not skied in decades.
    http://thesnowtroopers.com/2010/hyak...t-home-112310/

Great memories of skiing Hyak in the early '80s, during high school.

Midweek night tix were like $6.

Me and a buddy drove my dad's 50-mpg Honda Civic up, and skiied knee-deep+ blower tree pow in Hidden Valley for 3 nights straight.
    No one else around...our own private resort. About 30 bucks out-of-pocket. Unforgettable.

Ya, my studies suffered terribly that year.
    I don't think kids could get away with that these days...Hehe.

Enjoy Every Sandwich - Warren Zevon

Any news on when 'Ski Acres' is supposed to open? I know that West opens tomorrow!!!

Hyak is pretty awesome...I was equally psyched about being able to head up to the Pass yesterday and do short laps. I was over on West, which doesn't have any fun terrain, but makes for a good spot to do solo hot laps.

Another great 'short' mountain is Anthony Lakes in Eastern OR. Incredible terrain, both inbounds and out, and incredible dry powder, with only about 1000' of vert. Interestingly, Anthony Lakes has one of the highest base areas in the PNW @ 7100'.

I've had some of my best powder days at Anthony Lakes. Its one of those places where you can do lap after lap and keep finding lots of little different things on a run. Keeps things interesting. It dumps lots of blower too.

Can't wait. Got a bed with a hot tub waiting in walking distance from the lift. Be there 1st week on Jan. Wahooo!
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Any one know if they will still let you skin up and ski it when the lifts are closed? It's good for a quick fix.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanPete81 View Post
    Another great 'short' mountain is Anthony Lakes in Eastern OR. Incredible terrain, both inbounds and out, and incredible dry powder, with only about 1000' of vert. Interestingly, Anthony Lakes has one of the highest base areas in the PNW @ 7100'.
    We plan to hit that zone this year for sure w/ sleds too! Didn't realize it was only just shy of 1,000' for lift serve. Bigger mountains that I had pictured until we drove through there last Spring.

re: Anthony Lakes

There are definitely some bigger peaks surrounding the ski area, but the ski area itself isn't much more than 1000'.
    To access the backcountry area adjacent to the ski area, you definitely don't need sleds, and they probably aren't allowed. It's only about a 30 minute skin in to the lake basin.
    Here are a few pics from a trip last year:

Quote Originally Posted by edmoloco View Post
    Any one know if they will still let you skin up and ski it when the lifts are closed? It's good for a quick fix.
    Hyak? Yeah, a bunch of us were up there yesterday. Stay out of the groomer/snowcat's way, and they don't mind. Awesome turns in the steep ~200 feet up top, then gets a little too slow as you hit the blue terrain in 2+ft of blower.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanPete81 View Post

Whoah, is he carrying an M-60 pod mounted machine gun? I heard the Canadian Mounties have been amping up their image. It's a post 9-11 mentality...

Looks good back there, I'll have to check it out this year. And the White Pass expansion (all blue but glaided), opening Saturday.

Thanks for posting those pics... Looked like that was early season(I hope)?