Dogs and beacons

Since it’s unwise to put a beacon on a dog that might get mistaken for a person in a slide does anyone make a beacon for dogs that works on a different frequency?

Ortovox made (makes?) a ski maus that transmitts on a different freq. It was ment to be attached to your ski but i'm sure you could put it on a dog. Then you need a reciever that will recieve the maus freq. Some M1s (I think it's the M1) had the maus freq. mine does. Do a search, this has beed discussed before.
    Last edited by Beaver; 11-30-2004 at 12:43 PM.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

cross post with the other curent thread http://www.basegear.com/sossbbeacon.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Ortovox has a Dog transmitter but it appears to be a send only unit that works on the same freq. as a normal beacon.
    http://www.ortovox.com/eng/start_05.htm

You could find some old beacons that tranmit on the old frequency, I think it was 275. My practice beacon is a dual frequency Arva and I had a really old Pieps that just crapped out on me last year.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch
    Ortovox has a Dog transmitter but it appears to be a send only unit that works on the same freq. as a normal beacon.
    http://www.ortovox.com/eng/start_05.htm
    Shouldn't it be "Dog Transmutter"?

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch
    Since it’s unwise to put a beacon on a dog that might get mistaken for a person in a slide
    It's only unwise if you think a dog's life is less valuable than a person's.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD
    It's only unwise if you think a dog's life is less valuable than a person's.
    They are less valuable than a human life. Never gonna hear somebody say they were glad they found their dog rather than their partner.
    My Montana has an East Infection

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainman
    Never gonna hear somebody say they were glad they found their dog rather than their partner.
    I've got news for you...
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainman
    They are less valuable than a human life. Never gonna hear somebody say they were glad they found their dog rather than their partner.
    You definitely won't hear that if you're the partner that's buried

SOS makes a doggy transmitter, but only an SOS beacon will be able to catch the signal.

how about just a light weight float cord attached like a vest or to the collar (collar not advisable due to strangulation potential). it should work if you could be sure that it was strong enough to withstand the slide. i think it would be better than nothing. atleast the pooch has a chance of getting found.

if i had a dog out with me, i'd use a hunting collar like the upland guys use. it lets you know where your dog is by beeps and also lets you know when he has stopped moving. you can't hear it thru the snowpack but it's easier to keep track of him that way.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Viva
    I've got news for you...
    ....you are MINE now! you belong to ME!

On a side note, I have heard first hand of a few complete dog burials that survived more than 30 min. (one was 3 hours) without neurological deficit after they were dug out (no brains fried).

Perhaps the poochies are just calm and relaxed while buried?

My dog has been hit twice by small slides but never buried, but he always looks visibly shaken.

If your only backcountry traveling partner is your dog, then why the hell are you in avalanche terrain?

I have the feeling that the dog that survived the burial on Quandary Peak would like to tell his master, "Don't bring me back to ski with you when you put my life in danger, and I don't know the difference." Beacon or no beacon......
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw
    If your only backcountry traveling partner is your dog, then why the hell are you in avalanche terrain?
    Well, to quote your boss, "That's where the good skiing is." Another thing he said was "To avoid being in a car accident, you should never drive a car - alone or not." The message was that you can become lazy, fat, slow and old before your time if you don't go out in live life. There is nothing more dangerous to your existance than being afraid of it.

I would just like to say that I do not heart your avatar.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by duph
    Well, to quote your boss, "That's where the good skiing is." Another thing he said was "To avoid being in a car accident, you should never drive a car - alone or not." The message was that you can become lazy, fat, slow and old before your time if you don't go out in live life. There is nothing more dangerous to your existance than being afraid of it.
    Rational person's response: "Yeah, I fucked up that time."