Did my shutter just die?

So 2 weeks ago my camera was working fine.

Go hiking last week and halfway through i go to take a shot, the camera shutter starts to go off, but it didn't sound right. i look at the display and it flashes the ERR message which is general camera malfunction, and after a few seconds the camera powers down even with the switch in the on position.

i had a backup battery which i through in since i wasn't sure what the error message meant. the camera worked for one click and then the same thing happened, half a shutter click and camera dies.

when i got home i threw both batteries on the charger retried and the camera seemed to be working. Fast forward to today, i was up on the roof hanging christmas lights and there was a low flying hawk so i go to focus on it and again, weird half shutter and the camera dies. swap out to the other battery, and same thing.

camera is a nikon d70

original OEM battery and one generic from sterlingtek

not sure how many actuations it had but it wasn't all that many somewhere between 5k and 10k i think

I had a similar problem with a d70. Problem turned out to be something with the lens. The lens had a little jiggle in it (very slight, almost unnoticeable). I would nudge it ohh so slightly and it would shut down. I noticed the camera wouldn't even turn on but with a simple twist of the lens it would power-up. Not sure if it was the lens contacts or the contacts on the body being fucked since I stopped using it immediately after displaying these problems. Do you have another lens you could try? Can you twist the lens very slightly to the right and then to the left and see if this causes the problem or alleviates it?

yea this is with at least 2 of my lenses. there is no play in either of the ones i tried.

i also noticed that mirror is stuck up and i can see the shutter.
    i can't even get it to power on at this point

sounds like you have a short in your camera, at 10k your shutter should still be fine.