Weather Nerd Alert: CA DWR Winter Outlook Workshop Webcast

Warning: This thing is an hour and a half long. Yes, I watched the majority of it--only skipping a few mins at the end. Unless you're a serious weather/precip/water nerd you'll probably get bored as shit. If not read on...

The video features Klaus Wolter, one of the leading ENSO climatologists around and a professor at Boulder. It also features a guy from Scripps and the lead guy at NWS San Diego. It's sort of California-centric, but not that much.

Click the link, put in a name and email (I did, and nothing happened except the video came out... dunno why they have you do that, but whatever), and watch: http://video01.rmxpres.com/Services/...9-93e59cf28ecf

Klaus explains his MEI index and points out (something that I noticed a few days back when I was looking at it) that the low standard deviation on the index 1-2 months ago was the lowest it's been with the exception of October '75 (the driest year in recent CA history) and 1955. Bad news bears for us. Good for the NW though, even though they don't usually need that much water, comparatively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Sounds like a strong start to the season and then it tapering out - to just an average season. Sounds like south california isn't going to be particularly great. However its sounds like theres a lot of guessing going on here and looking for correlations .. lets hope it just keeps hemorrhaging snow.

Oh and yah its totally nerdy - couldn't watch the whole thing but def interesting.

Huh. Interesting considering recent storm tracks...

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Huh. Interesting considering recent storm tracks...
    No joke.

Note that they did say that atmospheric river (i.e. Pineapple Express) events are more common in La Nina years.

AND... the La Nina signal doesn't really kick in until later this month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.