Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johngenx View Post
    Has this shit ever worked? Seriously. Has anyone actually been caught smuggling a bomb onto an airplane by the folks at the security desk?
    Let's look at the other side: has anyone successfully detonated an explosive device on an airplane after going through a full body pat-down or scanner? The deterrent effect is worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Let's look at the other side: has anyone successfully detonated an explosive device on an airplane after going through a full body pat-down or scanner? The deterrent effect is worth considering.
    Ask the question of need. Does BLANKET full body scanning offer opportunity to screen for significant explosive risks that are not already covered by preexisting security protocols (sniffers, metal detectors, behavioral analysis)?

The impetus for these scanners and enhanced molestation were tiny amounts of explosive in the crotch area where the terrorists only managed to maim themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Ask the question of need. Does BLANKET full body scanning offer opportunity to screen for significant explosive risks that are not already covered by preexisting security protocols (sniffers, metal detectors, behavioral analysis)?
    I'll fully admit that I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post

The impetus for these scanners and enhanced molestation were tiny amounts of explosive in the crotch area where the terrorists only managed to maim themselves.
    Yep, the only bombs this is protecting us from are ones that are less dangerous than someone who is well trained ni unarmed combat.

Seriously, if the terrorists still wanted to take over a plane, they'd be much better off just spending some time training to learn how to fight without weapons, get 10 of them on the same flight, and there ya go. We will NEVER be safe. They could also charter or buy a corporate jet and fill it full of actual explosives. The reasons they chose the attack they did on 9/11 was because it was cheap, but even more importantly because it would strike fear into people, and infringe upon our freedoms. They were successful, they are winning.

Stopping some nutcase with what amounts to an m80 and some lighter fluid down his pants is not worth this level of invasiveness and violation of people's rights.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Seriously, if the terrorists still wanted to take over a plane, they'd be much better off just spending some time training to learn how to fight without weapons, get 10 of them on the same flight, and there ya go.
    Armored cockpit doors.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    no match for an underwear black cat

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I am aware of such things, and I am of the opinion that tiny homemade explosive devices pose no threat to breaching them. These are actually a great example of reasonable precautions because they represent a maximum in added safety with a minimum of both cost and infringement on people's rights. Regardless, its a moot point because the terrorists (not just some wackjob) arent going to target the airlines again, there are far easier targets.

Its like people breaking into your home. You don't need to, and can't, make your home an impenetrable fortress. If you keep your doors and windows locked and have a dog that barks at people, chances are they are going to pick another house to burgle.

The only people that are going to target the airlines are lone unorganized nutjobs that are doing it for fame or attention or whatever the fuck it is nutjobs do these things for. Those people are drawn to the airlines because of the security and high profile aspect, not in spite of it. The real terrorists are a lot smarter, and are looking to actually hurt our country as much as possible, not just to 'go down in history' like the shoe bomber or the muslim that shot those army guys in texas, they will not be targeting airlines.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Have we mentioned laptop batteries yet? I'm sure there's a number of ways you could raise hell with those...

and a quick search yields good ol' xkcd:
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

I still haven't figured out why they don't just bomb a mall.

It would cause mass panic and a huge hit to the economy this time of year.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

This isn't necessarily about body scanners or radiation or getting your junk felt up, its about how we are reacting to this problem.

We as a country are obsessed with these fuckers at a level that is seriously unhealthy. %98 of Islamic extremists are dumb fuck farmers from various shit holes with a completely delusional sense of what they can actually accomplish.

They cannot defeat us in any way shape or form, end of story. Their singular weapon is fear, once you aren't afraid they have no weapon. The truth is they exist ultimately at our discretion and because we are a civilized people who are sometimes capable of exercising constraint. If shit seriously hits the fan we take the gloves off and that's all she wrote.

In 20 years they have been majorly successful six times, 4 of which were against America. That's it that's the total amount of success they had in the relatively simple art of blowing shit up. Yet our gov't and our fellow citizens build this myth up, this bullshit narrative about how this rag tag collective of angry fucktard farmers from the various shit holes of this world are going to topple all of western civilization.

So how about we get over this shit and move on to things that are actually dangerous or pose serious threat to the basic functions of our society. Like I don't know maybe how the fuck we plan to power it for more than the next 50 years.

Evolve, get over it and move on to the shit that is really serious. Treat these fuckers seriously and intelligently but don't legitimize them and create this myth that is totally incompatible with reality. Gov't uses terrorism and more accurately the fear of terrorism to get shit done, we as a people have to be above that or they will win this battle before most of us even knew it started.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Metal detectors and sealed cockpits, and call it a day.

9-11 hijackers used box cutters and everyone complied. That was the mentality before 9-11. There's a reason the other plane beatered in Pennsylvania. People instantly decided they weren't going to comply with hijackers anymore. (after hearing about the other planes)
    If anyone tried to hijack a plane with a knife now, they'd get royally ass fucked by the passengers.....and the hijacker definitely wouldn't get into the cockpit.

Knowing if you can't get into the cockpit to control the plane, if you want to blow it up, you might as well do it from the ground Red Dawn style.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Its like people breaking into your home. You don't need to, and can't, make your home an impenetrable fortress. If you keep your doors and windows locked and have a dog that barks at people, chances are they are going to pick another house to burgle.
    That's a good example because my house was burgled and that made me realize locking the doors and windows wasn't enough. I installed an alarm system. I decided the extra expense and slight inconvenience (just like body scanners at airports, IMO) was worth the extra peace of mind to me.

There are extremists because we are blowing their kids up with predator drones! Terrorism is ruling through fear. Who here is being ruled through fear? It sure as hell looks like us. Islamic extremists aren't the ones doing it either, thiknk further to who is actually making you afraid. Is it a handfull of hijackers or is it the media and the politicians who are controlled by the same corporations who are profiting of the "war on terror"? Come on people, you can't wage war on terror, it's moronic.

It's funny how many of you still think two planes made the twin towers blow up!

These scanners are about profit (same people lobbying for them are making gobs of money of them). They also get us used to giving up our liberties more and more. The point that we will have forgotten they are a big deal in a year is exactly the issue. Viewed as a singular issue, not a big deal, I don't care who sees my junk either. You have to contextualize it though and look at the big picture.
    Last edited by SamSkis; 11-19-2010 at 04:34 PM.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Don't exaggerate or put words in my mouth, it's a pretty childish way to debate.
    How do you feel about "FIFY"?

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    I'm the dumbest, most myopic toolbox to ever post in The Padded Room, forealz. Did I mention I like beer? DUUUUuhhhhhhhhh.....

Quote Originally Posted by ska21 View Post
    Well, at least this will cut down the number of motherfucking snakes on my motherfucking airplane.
    Words of wisdom. There is a silver lining to every cloud.

Except at night.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmadaBC View Post

Evolve, get over it and move on to the shit that is really serious. Treat these fuckers seriously and intelligently but don't legitimize them and create this myth that is totally incompatible with reality. Gov't uses terrorism and more accurately the fear of terrorism to get shit done, we as a people have to be above that or they will win this battle before most of us even knew it started.
    this, and

Quote Originally Posted by Blurred View Post
    Metal detectors and sealed cockpits, and call it a day.
    this.
    Interesting article in the WashPost on this today. I very rarely agree with Krauthammer's views, but he's spot on here.

An example from his piece: pilots. Having to be scanned or searched.

They're already flying the plane, dumbasses, behind a locked fkn door no less...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    That's a good example because my house was burgled and that made me realize locking the doors and windows wasn't enough. I installed an alarm system. I decided the extra expense and slight inconvenience (just like body scanners at airports, IMO) was worth the extra peace of mind to me.
    The funny thing is your alarm system won't do shit.

Might give you piece of mind, but it's not gonna stop a thief.

By the time your monitoring company calls to make sure it's not a false alarm, gets voice mail, calls 911 dispatch and an officer gets sent out your valuables are already gone, along with the thief. An hour or two later when the cops show up they'll take a report and file it away.

LMAO at the money you're wasting each month.

Quote Originally Posted by SamSkis View Post
    It's funny how many of you still think two planes made the twin towers blow up!
    Thanks for letting me know not to take anything you say seriously.
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by SamSkis View Post
    You have to contextualize it though and look at the big picture.
    That you're a delusional paranoid schizophrenic conspiracy theorist wack job?

^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    The funny thing is your alarm system won't do shit.

Might give you piece of mind, but it's not gonna stop a thief.

By the time your monitoring company calls to make sure it's not a false alarm, gets voice mail, calls 911 dispatch and an officer gets sent out your valuables are already gone, along with the thief. An hour or two later when the cops show up they'll take a report and file it away.

LMAO at the money you're wasting each month.
    I have a wireless alarm with a base like an answering machine. No paid service. If it is tripped it is REALLY loud with wireless sirens that plug into wall sockets like a nightlight and one mounted outside. Fucking loud. The base then dials my cell phone and my work phone and it tells me I have been "breached" I have only got two false alarms and test it all the time. I am on 3 acres but have flower and palm tree growers on each side that call me even if they see a strange car on our road. Fuck the cops here.

Not lame. Good neighbors, locked gates and alarms work, big gun safes too.

__________________________________________________ _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Yeah, they are short (I'm a big boy on 173 Shamans w/Dynafits) so they aren't popular with the TGR long ski/short dick crowd. But if you've got the big hog swingin' 'tween your legs, it just might be the ski for you.

^^^^
    Yo Brent Leyerle aka JONG SLAUGHTER aka LoneStar aka User Name

Saw you called into the Savage Nation. Have the online balls to listen to all of this? Probably not. Pothead.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_TBCgT3s7s"]YouTube - Michael Savage Destroys Some Pothead Caller 3-26-2010 - www.InvestorsPoll.com[/nomedia]

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post

I'm the dumbest, most myopic toolbox to ever post in The Padded Room, forealz. Did I mention I like beer? DUUUUuhhhhhhhhh.....
    this is The Padded Room...so that's like saying I'm the dumbest kid at a down syndrome camp.

That hurts...and it makes me sad all over

Did I mention I like beer?

appropriate.

holy fucking shitballs

A burglar alarm is a deterrent just like airport security. We all know it's not going to stop someone dead set on getting in, but it's better than nothing. I know there are also people who don't lock their car doors because they know a thief can just break a window, but we're banking on the theory that most criminals are going to go for the low-hanging fruit first.

Sorry that some of us actually have the money to afford an alarm system and stuff in the house actually valuable enough to protect, DBS.

OK which one of you is messing with TSA??

http://current.com/news/92815819_bod...do-airport.htm

Paid some homeless guy to dress up as a TSA and he made it all the way to the "sex shack" where he just couldn't take it.......so fucking sad this whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.