Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New wagon advice

I'm looking for some help me decide my life advice concerning a new vehicle purchase. So if you want to play then here we go.

I currently own and drive this

it's a 2005 Tundra double cab with a raised floor and cap on the back. I don't plan on letting it go anytime soon.

A little about me, I'm a 30 something skier, fly fishing mt biker who likes to hunt stuff and does top secret engineering for food and shelter. I live in the northeast but may be moving sometime in the next 1-2 years.

This idea (getting a second car) started when I relized I don't want to drive my truck into the ground, it has 95k on it and I would like to keep it around another 5-10 years. I originaly wanted something completly different from my truck, think s2000, elise, mcoupe. Then reality hit and I plan on using the new car as my ever day car.

My new short list is between a 2008-2011 sti wagon or a bmw 328xi wagon

or

only difference is if I purchased the bmw I would put these on

Some more background
    I owned a 2002 wrx wagon and never liked the plastic feel of everything.
    My brother races 328's and could hook me up with enough mods to make the bmw fast enough.

Concerns
    bmw = I'm not a doctor, lawyer
    sti = I'm not a rich kid, racer boy, or this guy wants to race.

Pros
    bmw = potential sleeper, german ride qualities, would suite me as I grow older
    sti = fast, fun

Or I'm I missing something here?
    Harvest the ride.

If I were you, I'd get the STI and put a nice winter wheel/tire setup on.

If cash isn't a problem get an Audi RS4 wagon, if it is get the STI.

No RS4 wagon in the states. Have you considered an S4 wagon (2007 or 2008) though? 340 hp, nice seats, and the sound of that nice V8. It does drink fuel though, and it's not as fast or fun as the STI, but they're pretty sweet rides if you can find a clean one with a 6 speed.

Get an STI.
    Get a bunch of group N parts if you can. Subaru sells a smaller brake kit and 15" wheels. You could probably make a few bucks back selling the stock ones. Or maybe there are better options.
    Or maybe a body lift and bigger tires.

Just dreaming.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

My buddy just got the S4 and loves it. Its a sweet ride. He had an audi for a while and didn't like it, traded it in for the BMW. I have driven and ridden in both and hands down its the S4. If you own an Audi and its got a Fram oil filter change it before it fails, any ride for that matter, Fram = junk.

Considered any of these?

BMW 335xi
    Mazdaspeed 6
    Legacy GT

Can't understand how the 328 and STI are either in the same category.

I want a Cayenne S at the moment.

The STI would be fun to drive, but compared to the BMW it would be heavier on gas. I'm guessing your Tundra is a bit of a guzzler so maybe that's not a concern. With the BMW there would be more room for your skis. I have a 2004 325xi and it's been a very solid car.

Have you taken either for a test drive? Are they in the same price range?

Another vote for the s4 avant.

Only thing is that they are pretty rare, making it hard to find a car that's got the exact options you're looking for.
    My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We're bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We're coming in from the north, below their radar.

sti.
    roof rack.
    done.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderracer393 View Post
    Have you considered an S4 wagon (2007 or 2008) though? 340 hp, nice seats, and the sound of that nice V8. It does drink fuel though, and it's not as fast or fun as the STI, but they're pretty sweet rides if you can find a clean one with a 6 speed.
    Wife has an S4 sedan with tiptronic. She gets about 25 mpg driving around Jackson. We were certain we wanted a 6 speed, but after driving both ended up buying the tiptronic. It's a great car. The "not as fun" rap comes because it doesn't have the razor-sharp handling of something like a BMW M3, tends to benignly understeer at its limit, and is very (some would say too) easy to drive fast.

S4 wagon is a sick ride. I drive an 04' Volvo V70R, love it. Doesn't have the power of the S4, or probably the handling, but its pretty quick, a good size, and a whole lot cheaper. Plus the seats are wicked. The STi is small. Fine for 2 people, a tight fit for 4. The rough suspension might get to you after a while (I previously had a WRX wagon with an STi suspension and got rid of it for that reason). There is another similar thread around here (from the spring I think) that went many pages with advice.

edit: Also, 2009-2010 BMW 535xi wagon w/6-speed is also really sick.

Just throwing this out there: the latest 2011 WRX is almost as fast or faster, depending on the source, as the STI. The new WRX also has the STI's fender flairs and wider track so it's much more differentiated from the impreza and closer to the STI than in the past. Anyone in their right mind would still rather have the STI but when it's your own money then the choice is not as clear as it once was.

^^^

I was going to say that. Plus insurance should be cheaper on a base WRX than on the STI.

looked at the S4 avant but the V8 drinks more than my truck.

wondering why no love for the 328xi wag? I'm confident that I can build it over 300 hp and it has room handling and style. Price range new or used would be 20-35k.
    New wrx might work but my major concern is the plastic rattle. Thanks for the feedback.
    Harvest the ride.

I feel like you are underplaying how fun the bimmer will be out of the box. Yes the STI is faster, may handle better, but for an everyday driver, and for someone coming from a full size truck on the road I doubt you will really notice the lack of performance the bimmer has compared to the STI unless you drive them back to back.

You are looking at pre-owned vehicles, I would be very wary of buying a car such as an STI pre-owned, especially when it is only a couple of years old. The STI driver is definitely type casted as the drive hard and put away wet guy for good reason, many of those cars are beat on and sold off early without good maintenance.

If you are looking in the 20-25k price range that will easily net you a CPO (certified per-owned) BMW which comes with a stellar warranty that covers maintenance costs for the life of the warranty. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the STI was more expensive to fix.

If I were you:
    1. I would say forget what everyone here says and buy what you like
    2. Don't ever consider a S4 unless you like not having money in your wallet while you own it
    3. Get a CPO 325 or 330xi wagon with a manual, and the cold weather package. The heated seats will keep all the pussy warm that you pull with the blue and white roundel on the hood.

Buy the STI.

We own a STI. Car is a blast to drive in snow, on the dirt, on pavement. Handles great, goes fast, gets reasonable gas mileage, and with 130,000 on the odometer, it's had absolutely no mechanical issues. Best car I've ever owned. If I had to sell my other cars, and own just one car, it would be the STI.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Buy the STI.

We own a STI. Car is a blast to drive in snow, on the dirt, on pavement. Handles great, goes fast, gets reasonable gas mileage, and with 130,000 on the odometer, it's had absolutely no mechanical issues. Best car I've ever owned. If I had to sell my other cars, and own just one car, it would be the STI.
    Was that the STI we drove up to Mayflower a couple years ago? That thing is sporty, I almost hit you with a tire iron and swiped it.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Clean Like Amonia, Sick Like Pneumonia, MA
    I just sold my S4 avant and miss it already. As for rides considered, the 328xi is gonna be next to impossible to find in a manual. I have been looking at everything right now for a new daily car. I really like the new jetta, a 2.5 and a set of snow is what I have been thinking about(can't believe they brought the 2.slow back for the new generation. I am V.A.G biased, but also have love for the BMWs, I have an e30 that I love, but am not a fan of any of the newer stuff (-M series). My mom had nothing but problems with her 335xi, and a good buddy who is a bmw guy to the core had issues with ZHP. Sorry not much help.
    If you have a problem with macdadmorgan, you have a problem with yourself.

no roof racks on STis!!!
    roof rack on WRX ok.

And there haven't been 239423904720724 threads about this already.
    WHAT WAGGON DO I WANT? WHICH SMALL SUV? HOW BIG IS MY TRUCK VS HOW SMALL IS MY PENIS? HEAD GASKET? TAKING THE AWD FUSE OUT? REGULAR IN A TURBO? ZOMG LOL BTW FFS.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    Was that the STI we drove up to Mayflower a couple years ago? That thing is sporty, I almost hit you with a tire iron and swiped it.

That's the one. I think you can be my witness that having the roof rack and Thule box on top didn't do much to slow the car down.

I drive a 2009 Saab 9-3 aero sportcombi. All wheel drive, 300 hp, v6 turbo. I really like it and you can pick them up pretty damn cheap, mine was a " demo" one of those cars at them mall or golf show or something. 39 actual miles, full warranty and 18 k off retail. It is pretty nice, i was having the same questions and looking at similar options.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

no roof racks on STis!!!
    roof rack on WRX ok.

And there haven't been 239423904720724 threads about this already.
    WHAT WAGGON DO I WANT? WHICH SMALL SUV? HOW BIG IS MY TRUCK VS HOW SMALL IS MY PENIS? HEAD GASKET? TAKING THE AWD FUSE OUT? REGULAR IN A TURBO? ZOMG LOL BTW FFS.
    Since you're only the 239423904720725 college transplant from MN to MT (I think I forgot, but I'm pretty sure you're from Eden Prairie. You all were.), let's find out what kind of car you drive. Furthermore, are you talking about the original STi sedans, the STi wagon's, or the newest, slowest, STi sedans.... There's a difference, retard.

BTW, my penis is fucking teeny. I drive a F-350 crew cab turbo diesel with a sled deck on it. Don't tell anybody, thanks.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Get the STi. i have an 09 love it. either way, i would suggest a set of winter tires for any of the cars as they all come with more of a "summer all season"

i downsized from a Trailblazer to the Subi and just learned to pack a little lighter. I couldnt agree more with the roof rack though, mine is only on when necessary.