Thumbs up Gear Review: Denali XT's with Raichle Flexon Tounges and Booster Straps

Finally got out the Dremmel the other night and replaced the stock tongues on my Denali's with Raichle Flexon Race tounges. I then added a booster strap (the stiffest model) over the existing Scarpa strap.

I then took them for a test run by hiking about 2k up Bald Mountain here, skinning the groomers on my K2 Lawnchairs with Freerides. The modifications really didn't seem to effect the hiking function of the Scarpas at all. I easily skinned up the hill to a cat track where I took the skins off and went through the process of buckling, tightening and strapping down the new boots. Once I had them in "ski" position with all of the buckles ratcheted down and the booster straps really tight, I knew I was in for a treat. The forward flex felt like my Beta Races.

In short, I skied my 190 Lawnchairs like they were an alpine set up--driving the skis while keeping them on their edges on the icey hardpack. I was really surprised at how hard I could drive the toungues through the turns, given that I was on an A/T set up. I had no problems carving down the steeper hardpack on this new set up. I'd strongly recommend this set up to anyone who wants a better touring boot.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

The Rev knows what up. The pro-mods work.

Revvy rev,

u got the girly blue xt's or the older red ones? if you got the girly ones, send your now defunked tongues to poho so we can mod his g-rides will ya.
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Quote Originally Posted by Xover
    Revvy rev,

u got the girly blue xt's or the older red ones? if you got the girly ones, send your now defunked tongues to poho so we can mod his g-rides will ya.
    The 'Ho need the Flexons treatment, not the 1/2 ass treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles
    The 'Ho need the Flexons treatment, not the 1/2 ass treatment.
    flexons ain't gonna work very well with the raich's - would require a helluva lot of de-riveting and re-riveting with the main prob being making the garmont bucks compatable with the flexon ribs; already looked at it last year so I know what I'm talkin' bout.

i mounted some flexons to my GSM's and the buckle system on the Garmonts in no way, shape or form was a problem with the ribbed tongue.

What's wrong with the G-ride tongues? Not stiff enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley
    i mounted some flexons to my GSM's and the buckle system on the Garmonts in no way, shape or form was a problem with the ribbed tongue.
    Garmont GSM = 3 buckle AT boot
    Garmont G-Ride = 4 buckle AT boot

Methinks the extra buckle makes a big difference. Which sucks, since my G-Rides could really use a stiffer tounge. Oh well, I guess this solidifies my decision to sell them and buy some Adrenalines.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Revvy rev,

Confused....why would he want those Denali toungues? Yes they're manly blue.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

...so I know what I'm talkin' bout.
    If you mean it can't be done, no you don't. Check the pics. The buckles work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles
    If you mean it can't be done, no you don't. Check the pics. The buckles work just fine.
    your pix justifies your claims; however flexon tongues a local shop scavanged off some old boots for me didn't work with buckles - I wonder if the ribs come in different thicknesses?? hmmmmm??

plus, that looks like a helluva lot of work foggy?? why not just go get the adrens and save yourself all the work - not to mention loss of warranty issues. plus as summit said, the added weight. damn dude. each to their own though I guess. nice looking craftsmanship though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater
    Confused....why would he want those Denali toungues? Yes they're manly blue.
    cause they are stiffer than his stock g-ride tongues.
    just get in touch with him and get them to him.

12.....45secs

flexons ain't gonna work very well with the raich's - would require a helluva lot of de-riveting and re-riveting with the main prob being making the garmont bucks compatable with the flexon ribs; already looked at it last year so I know what I'm talkin' bout.
    I have a few friends that put flexon tongue on their g-rides with no problem. They didn't do any de/re riveting. I'm gonna do the same here once i find some tongue's somewhere.
    My Montana has an East Infection

your pix justifies your claims; however flexon tongues a local shop scavanged off some old boots for me didn't work with buckles - I wonder if the ribs come in different thicknesses?? hmmmmm??

plus, that looks like a helluva lot of work foggy?? why not just go get the adrens and save yourself all the work - not to mention loss of warranty issues. plus as summit said, the added weight. damn dude. each to their own though I guess. nice looking craftsmanship though.
    Not my work. SkiDeepPow, of the Aspen Karl Stall Posse, hooked me up. PM him if you have any questions. He had the tounges and offered to do the work for a very reasonable price. There are zero mods to the boot itself. I could swap tounges in about 5mins and they'd be stock.

Why not get adrens? a. I've heard (don't know) that they are no stiffer that XTs or G-Rides, I haven't tried them on. b. they cost money being that I'm no longer on the inside.

Weight a. I hate the raichle/garmont/scarpa thermo liners. An alpine liner makes it feel like an alpine boot which I like. A Gotama/Freeride rig (which we both run I think) isn't exactly light weight. I've done 5K days and was keeping up just fine.

I hope you get something to work.

Foggy, those are some damn sexy pics. Thanks!

BTW, lph just bought some Adrenalines and loves them. He's not skinny like phUnk and says they're plenty stiff.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."