Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do you wash your ski clothing?

Appologize for the JONG-esque question, especially since it's been asked before (I searched but didn't come up with anything).

I remember something about gore tex being able to be washed but there are some special drying procedures?

In the past I just air my stuff out and maybe throw some febreeze if really necessary, but this isn't going to cut it for the wife's stuff.

Nikwax TechWash then just read the care instructions on the label of your clothes.

I was under the impression that Gore Tex (and most laminates) actually perform better if you apply heat to them. So machine drying is better than hang drying.

I'll second phUnk's suggestion too. The Nikwax stuff is mild and adds to the repellency of the outer fabric.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Sweet, thanks phunk and bagtagley

bagtagley - btw I'll be at snowshoe the 11th and 12th if you're around. Just hoping they actually get some snow by then.

a true ski bum does not wash his ski clothes.....that being said

with gore tex, wash seperatly with powder soap, throw in dryer on high for 10 min. Take Nikwak spray version and apply to the OUTSIDE of your jacket, applying this product on the inside will severly limit the breathablity. hang for 10 and throw in dryer again on high for another 10-15
    just another ''big'' handle

Quote Originally Posted by BigSexy
    a true ski bum does not wash his ski clothes.....that being said

with gore tex, wash seperatly with powder soap, throw in dryer on high for 10 min. Take Nikwak spray version and apply to the OUTSIDE of your jacket, applying this product on the inside will severly limit the breathablity. hang for 10 and throw in dryer again on high for another 10-15
    I don't think powder soap is mild enough for breathable fabrics, it tends to clog the "pores" and limit breathability. I would only use the Nikwak stuff.

never use powder detergent. liquid only. it clogs pores causing breathable fabrics to not be and waterproof becomes a sponge.

Howzabout you play it safe and use detergent designed for what you want to wash?

Again, TechWash.

Should I use the powdered techwash or the liquid?

The goretex website says you can use either powdered or liquid detergent, but I've always heard liquid is bad because it contains fabric softeners. Sorry APD, your shit is fucked and you need all new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by phUnk
    Howzabout you play it safe and use detergent designed for what you want to wash?

Again, TechWash.
    I've had good results with Techwash. I've had equally good results with Woolite, a liquid made for delicates which is a good deal cheaper and available in your supermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by flykdog
    Should I use the powdered techwash or the liquid?

The goretex website says you can use either powdered or liquid detergent, but I've always heard liquid is bad because it contains fabric softeners. Sorry APD, your shit is fucked and you need all new stuff.

not my gear. i've seen my friends gear do this. it may just be how they wash/treat it over time. this link debunks most of what i posted earlier but is good info.

gear care

powder, liquid, whatever, just dont use too much! go with what the label says and you will be ok.
    just another ''big'' handle

Or just tell her to go take a few good slide for life wipeouts on some nice granukar snow. Always worked for me

My opinion:

It's a $200-400 jacket, not a $10 t-shirt. Don't risk fucking it up. Use TechWash. As for drying, the TechWash bottle says to follow the drying instructions printed on your garment.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Update: bought techwash, will use it and follow it's directions. thanks for the help

I also wanted to say thanks b/c I found this thread very useful. My whole family was soaked to the bone last time at K skiing in persistent NCP for 4 hrs. I was wondering if there was something I could do (aside from spending big $$) to help the gear be a little more impermeable and am glad I ran across this thread.

I googled Techwash and ordered some of these techwash products from REI.com and also some glove-specific water repellent. Shipping was free too!
    Tanks again
    Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

For Gore-Tex and equivalent outerwear products (Conduit, Triple Ceramic, Omni-Tech, etc.), most of washing instructions specify warm water and a cold rinse. Powder detergent vs. NixWax Tech Wash depends on how dirty and stinky your garment is. I was my outerwear garments with powder detergent and then put them on low dry, and then I put the damp garments in the washer with Tech Wash (not if they smell fine) on cold wash/cold rinse - delicate. I sometime put a warm iron on my outerwear garments - especially Gore-Tex 3-ply.

AS for DWR - durable water repellent - NixWax TX Direct (wash-in) is only for 3-ply garments, not 2-ply garments with a mesh liner. Make sure you stop the washer when it's soaking for 20 minutes. And then repeat with low heat in the dryer.

RevivEX does NOT work at all - although Gore-Tex recommends it for all its outerwear garments... I have found that Tectron DWR Spray-On works wonders - it's better than NixWax TX-Direct Spray-On, which lasts two or three washings before it's kaput. It works wonders with MemBrain, Conduit, etc.

6 year bump...is tx direct spray on the same stuff as tx direct, meaning if i want to wash it in, will i get the same results using the direct spray in the washer?
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    6 year bump...is tx direct spray on the same stuff as tx direct, meaning if i want to wash it in, will i get the same results using the direct spray in the washer?
    Supposed to be the same, but each seems to have a plus and minus. I use wash-in.

Wash-in definitely is more durable; the coating lasts much longer. Downside is that the inside of the jacket also gets waterproofed, which isn't too good for breathability.

Spray on keeps the inside breathing well, but only lasts a few rainy days from what I've seen.

I dont think I ever have washed my ski stuff. Maybe i should. thank for planting the seed.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Maybe I'm a dirt bag but I don't wash my pants or jackets, don't want to jack up the waterproofing.

I use powder tide free and clear (the white, expensive box) with no fragrance, or softeners of anything.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

use a washing machine ,powdered deteregnt or whatever you can scam from on top of the washing MC is fine

wash the piece with whatever soap/detergent and then run a cycle with JUST WATER to wash out whatever you used as a soap

I like spray on ,spray it on the wet piece after the rinse and dry in a hot dryer

didnt I write this same answer yesturday?

Quote Originally Posted by rush1975 View Post
    Maybe I'm a dirt bag but I don't wash my pants or jackets, don't want to jack up the waterproofing.
    if water does not bead on the piece ,if the fabric wets out ...your DWR is already jacked

I just sell it and buy new gear. But I love tecwash products especially for my merino
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)