Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where did you mount your GoPro?

Looking for help when it comes to helmet mounting. I've got a POC Receptor lid which is big and round, and I'm not sure where to mount my GoPro on it.

Where did you guys put the mount in relation to the top point of the helmet? Should it go right up top there or a little bit forward and then point the camera down a little?
    go upside down.

Put it on my Receptor using the head strap mount. I like the view better there(just above the goggles) as opposed to the top of the helmet and basically cause I didn't want to use the sticky mount. Also makes it easier to switch riders if the other person dose not already have a mount. Be sure to tether it to your helmet(i used a small nylon cord through the rear air vents) as the head strap can fly off in a crash, think finding a ski in pow is tough these are next to impossible.

Also don't point the camera to far down, chances are you'll be looking at your feet. You'll learn real quick how to position it.

Forward is good or you'll get a bunch of helmet in the bottom of the frame.

But don't go too far forward, because you won't be able to open the case without moving the mounting bracket, which is a pain because you really want to get it positioned right once and then never move it. Check how far you have to open the case to get the camera out and you'll see what I mean.

youre better off mounting it on the side of your helmet. (if you can)
    think of your head as a big lever. when your head bobs up and down, it will move less on the side of your head vs the top, giving you better footage. if not, just make sure its not pointed so far down that you can only see 3 feet in front of you.

Talking Necro response from necro account

Any of y'all using a Hero 7 or Hero 8 without a waterproof case?
    If so do the batteries hold a charge?

Sorry to necro post. I guess after a 13 year hiatus, this is what I'm left with!

I'm struggling with getting a good angle/settings on my helmet mounted go pro. I enjoy getting the skis and knees in the shots, but that's tough to do without just capturing ground. I know the age old solution is to ski steeper drops :P

Using 1440 P linear to avoid distortion. But maybe fisheye is where it is at.

I find this strap works real well. When I pull my goggles down it rests real nice in the gap between my goggles and helmet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DE19958C-5CAC-4950-8883-24CAC67905E1.jpeg 
Views:	80 
Size:	264.2 KB 
ID:	354773  

Quote Originally Posted by AZskibum View Post
    I'm struggling with getting a good angle/settings on my helmet mounted go pro. I enjoy getting the skis and knees in the shots, but that's tough to do without just capturing ground. I know the age old solution is to ski steeper drops :P

Using 1440 P linear to avoid distortion. But maybe fisheye is where it is at.
    Chest mount if you want knees in the shot

Quote Originally Posted by RollGybe View Post

Sorry to necro post. I guess after a 13 year hiatus, this is what I'm left with!
    Bumping a 10 year old thread for your first post, lol. Both hero 7 and 8 are waterproof without a case.

Go pro usually fall off and are lost forever

so just toss it anywhere at random to speed up the process !
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Go pro usually fall off and are lost forever

so just toss it anywhere at random to speed up the process !
    But have no fear we will be sure to get it back to them.

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=2677979928890422&_rdr

Quote Originally Posted by dub2 View Post
    Chest mount if you want knees in the shot
    Agree.

I like my chest rig.

most shots are nice and stable too.

I have a pair of Dynastar Course (the kind with the tip red tip weights).
    If I go with a chest harness, and ski something really steep like Outer Limits, how much will I need to fuss around with the aim to get my ski tips in the shot?
    Or is is really easy?

Quote Originally Posted by RollGybe View Post

Dood. I remember you.

Quote Originally Posted by RyansFaith View Post
    Agree.

I like my chest rig.

most shots are nice and stable too.
    at least for me it happens pretty much all the time as long as I have the camera rotated back so it is against the chest mount. I use the GoPro branded rig.

Not sure if others have same experience. I’m 5’9 and 155 lb if that makes a difference I’m not sure but I think height and body type will affect the angle of the cam.

should be easy to adjust though and you will be able to see how the picture adjusts on the display pretty easily.

I've embraced my teletubby, and only finally now getting footage of anything other than the skis. I should try the chest mount.

the footage from hero8 almost looks like it's trying too hard .. over digitized, or over stabilized or something. I think I actually prefer the footage from the hero4 session, but should do a side by side.
    north bound horse.

Chest mount sometimes points the camera too low, this is especially true while mountain biking. I add this ball joint accessory to have more control of the angle. You can put the camera on upside down on the chesty, crank the angle upwards, and the image will come out right side up when you view the footage.

https://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Joint-B...006081&sr=8-13

Haha, yes, been a while!
    But I did mount my own fucking skis.
    Name:  my skis.JPG
Views: 1244
Size:  33.7 KB

Shot from GoPro mounted to my pack strap.

https://youtu.be/dKFXWlliQ6U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you mount your GoPro?

Chest mount is pretty good, but can make you look a bit backseat all the time. Personally, I think the bite mount is the best angle (or mounted to the bar of a full face helmet. Plus you naturally stabilize your head which helps make your footage smoother. Bite mount is annoying AF though after awhile. I put a mount right on the front of my helmet, not on top, to minimize the teletubby look.

Wider angles mean better view and makes everything look faster so go with Max Superview.

I use the app to adjust the angle once it’s mounted up. After a few you start to get close without needing the app.

Middle - check your settings on the Hero 8. Default is for heavy sharpening and color correction. You can tone those down. I like flat color, low sharpening and high bit rate for the best flexibility in editing.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Middle - check your settings on the Hero 8. Default is for heavy sharpening and color correction. You can tone those down. I like flat color, low sharpening and high bit rate for the best flexibility in editing.
    Thanks! I made a custom setting and will try it out. I have it on 1080/60, high bit rate, and lowed the 'hypersmooth' (I think that's what caused my issues).
    Took me a while to find those settings. Very inexperienced with tech stuff, just use iMovie to edit but it seems to be capable of way more than I.
    north bound horse.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    Thanks! I made a custom setting and will try it out. I have it on 1080/60, high bit rate, and lowed the 'hypersmooth' (I think that's what caused my issues).
    Took me a while to find those settings. Very inexperienced with tech stuff, just use iMovie to edit but it seems to be capable of way more than I.
    Hypersmooth shouldn’t hurt your image quality in theory as it just essentially moves the image around in the frame. Interested to see if that helps your IQ.

Hero8 Black. Not quite on top of helmet but high enough to pull goggles back. I have the waterproof case and Chest mount which I haven’t used. Battery life isn’t great but have 3 i pack with me. The cold is the killer and that’s why I got the waterproof case to try.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8EBE7460-27E6-4245-8E4F-04C9F33054EA.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	936.9 KB 
ID:	355788

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Hypersmooth shouldn’t hurt your image quality in theory as it just essentially moves the image around in the frame. Interested to see if that helps your IQ.
    Oh good, that's what I want. the hypersmooth shifting the image around as I make turns and little jumps and look around .. just look way too 'enhanced' .. too smooth. imo it made it look less real. sucks to watch.

I mounted handlebar for a couple road rides for some fast downhills, and had similar results .. I don't mind smoothing out the image, but the digital enhancements to tilt and turn are just too much.

I maybe got the tiniest bit carried away last nite, so didn't make it out to try this AM. Will post findings.

Quote Originally Posted by jmills View Post
    The cold is the killer and that’s why I got the waterproof case to try.
    Yeah cold kills the batts fast.
    I mainly tour, so my only use for the camera is usually a one-and-done lap from the top. Keep the camera in my pocket and throw it on when I drop in.

your aim looks good! Which helmet mount is that? This is mine: My only gripe, is that you have to aim every time as opposed to just clicking it in and being spot on, like my session does.
    Name:  IMG_9575.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  54.6 KB
    north bound horse.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    Oh good, that's what I want. the hypersmooth shifting the image around as I make turns and little jumps and look around .. just look way too 'enhanced' .. too smooth. imo it made it look less real. sucks to watch.

I mounted handlebar for a couple road rides for some fast downhills, and had similar results .. I don't mind smoothing out the image, but the digital enhancements to tilt and turn are just too much.

I maybe got the tiniest bit carried away last nite, so didn't make it out to try this AM. Will post findings.

Yeah cold kills the batts fast.
    I mainly tour, so my only use for the camera is usually a one-and-done lap from the top. Keep the camera in my pocket and throw it on when I drop in.

your aim looks good! Which helmet mount is that? This is mine: My only gripe, is that you have to aim every time as opposed to just clicking it in and being spot on, like my session does.
    Name:  IMG_9575.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  54.6 KB
    I think we are using the same. I have a curved mount on my helmet and leave the mounting buckle on the camera.
    Pop the tab, slide into the curved mount, and push the tab down. It’s already set so I don’t have to adjust it

Name:	991C3D6D-415C-4565-AC4A-A954BC028F8C.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	554.5 KB 
ID:	355851

Name:	AA21F8B1-DD07-4FCD-AFC2-2E9272046F0D.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	325.3 KB 
ID:	355852