Scott USA is no more Scott USA, just Scott

... what else can I say? I realized yesterday that after so many years Scott USA, a company that never distributed its stuff in US, changed its name in Scott (and nothing else). BTW, I wanted to try a pair of the new 04-05 santiagos which seemed very light and appealing, but dealers in verb didn't allow me to blast their brand new stuff on the rocks of the lac des vaux.... who can really blame them

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61
    ... what else can I say? I realized yesterday that after so many years Scott USA, a company that never distributed its stuff in US, changed its name in Scott (and nothing else). BTW, I wanted to try a pair of the new 04-05 santiagos which seemed very light and appealing, but dealers in verb didn't allow me to blast their brand new stuff on the rocks of the lac des vaux.... who can really blame them

Actually, Scott has been distributing goggles, poles and clothing in the US for as long as I can remember. They dropped the USA because the "USA" part is just sooooo popular abroad.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater
    Actually, Scott has been distributing goggles, poles and clothing in the US for as long as I can remember. They dropped the USA because the "USA" part is just sooooo popular abroad.
    yes yes you're right for goggles poles, etc... I wonder whether they ever distributed their skis.... they might have done in the past, but I'm unaware.

I'd like to know whether they really dropped the USA from their name 'cuz of GWB politics.... I've no answer, maybe someone on the forum has

Currently sitting about a quarter mile from Scott's headquarters and having numerous friends, plus the ex working there, I can tell you for certain that the USA was dropped due to our recent "popularity" overseas.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

This is good for Scott athletes. Mike Wilson, (ex-Scott rider) once told me that Scott USA refused to pay him a photo incentive because in the shot you could only read "Scott US". The A was cut off by the bottom border of the Helly Hansen Ad. It was a lifestyle shot, so you could really easily read "Scott US". But his contract said "Scott USA" has to been seen, so they wouldn't pay him. It was funny watching him about it most of the night.

Why doesn't Scott distribute skis in the states? Are they a skinned version of someone else's skis? I didn't even know Scott made skis until last winter when I was in Europe. Did a double take when I saw the skis lined up in the rack.
    A lot of people earn their turns. Some just get bigger checks.

They make mountain bikes to, which they also don't sell in the US.

I have an old Scott mountainbike. I've had it for about 12 years. Don't see any others around, though. They used to make only poles when I was a kid and they were the best poles to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue
    They make mountain bikes to, which they also don't sell in the US.
    Coming back to the US market this year. Expensive though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Junkie
    Why doesn't Scott distribute skis in the states? Are they a skinned version of someone else's skis? I didn't even know Scott made skis until last winter when I was in Europe. Did a double take when I saw the skis lined up in the rack.
    for what I know, they are NOT a skinned version of someone else's. Euro headquertiers are in switz, so scott skis are very popular around verb etc and I can honestly tell you they're good skis. Scott's bikes are very popular too (i'd say more than the skis), and their pro MTB and bike teams - for what I can understand -rock.

I used to wrench Scott bikes at a dealer in south lake tahoe; around 1993 or so.

somehow i think blizzard produced the skis for scott in europe.
    am not sure if i am correct....

Their bikes are very popular around here and are in fact, the tits.

Quote Originally Posted by salx
    somehow i think blizzard produced the skis for scott in europe.
    am not sure if i am correct....
    hicks told somewhere scotts are made in scott's blizzard factory.... so I thought scott should be blizzard's owner, but when I went to blizzard's web site, I've found
    Blizzard has always been a thoroughly Austrian company and today it is the only wholly Austrian-owned ski manufacturer. Blizzard develops and produces exclusively in Austria.

so I'm confused too

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik
    This is good for Scott athletes. Mike Wilson, (ex-Scott rider) once told me that Scott USA refused to pay him a photo incentive because in the shot you could only read "Scott US". The A was cut off by the bottom border of the Helly Hansen Ad. It was a lifestyle shot, so you could really easily read "Scott US". But his contract said "Scott USA" has to been seen, so they wouldn't pay him. It was funny watching him about it most of the night.
    Heh, yah....that guy never talks.

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61
    hicks told somewhere scotts are made in scott's blizzard factory.... so I thought scott should be blizzard's owner
    Correct, although that info is from a ski magazine (can't remember which one at the moment, will post in case I still find the article) and therefore third hand too.

But again, many small manufacturers on the market aren't really such, meaning they subcontract the ski production which is a common thing to do in our days and makes perfect sense to avoid over-capacities from the past. This doesn't allow for any conclusions about ownership.
    Armada is another example: their sticks (at least the ones for Europe) should be tagged 'Made by Elan'. K2 I heard is making skis in China, so what? And, who honestly cares as long as quality requirements are met?

so dangerous liasons are between....

scott and blizzard
    atomic (owners) and dynamic (and black diamond?)
    dynastar and rossi
    elan and armada (and quechua?)
    line and karhu
    k2 and volkl

I'm certainly forgetting something.....