Backcountry near Aspen Friday

Wife and I are looking for some mellow backcountry turns Friday near Aspen. Anyone got any good ideas? Anyone looking to get out? Usually hit up montezuma early season but I assume access up there might be difficult/sketch after this current storm. Have 4wd and chains but no sled. Thanks.

access to 'zuma would be a bit of a hike right now... I haven't been touring yet, don't know where is good access high enough to make continuous turns if that matters to you two.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I would agree with gr that Montezuma will most likely be a long hike now. I am not sure how much melted last week when it was warm.

I am looking at heading out this weekend just not sure where yet. I am wondering what things look like down around Marble and Schofield pass. The area had some good snowfall(7")+ yesterday with more coming.

500 to a 1,000 vert with decent coverage and a reasonable approach would be ideal, but we'll take what we can get. Really only skied zuma and the 14ers in the area so I'm short on ideas.

If we head anywhere worthwhile i'll try to post re conditions Friday afternoon.

Was planning on sticking closer to town but might consider the marble area, thanks.

Some of the first things skiable, other than Montezuma, are the actual runs on Ajax. Pre AT days,1980ish, we use to chain up and drive up Midnight.
    Sieberts, Christmastree, Back 1 and Northstar are usually the first runs skiable.

Buttermilk Bowls from Whites Lake might be good and is relatively short and mellow from W Buttermilk Rd.

I'm going to go check out some ice climbs in Redstone on Friday but will give them a miss if it snows much more, might see you out and about.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Looks like some good leads. Thanks guys. Took the family for a drive up midnight and down the ski resort a few summers ago, so I know the area a little. Haven't been to white lakes (haven't skied buttermilk) but if the snow levels are low enough we'll probably head there first. Googled w. buttermilk before I found the lake on the topo and there would appear to be some nice real estate we can check out along the way to the trailhead

1518 W. Buttermilk at $35MM

^^^^I think that is Bob Zangrillo's place and it sold two weeks ago for that price.

Original price was 60 mill.

I think the West BM 'sugar bowls' may be a bit thin, but it is fairly grassy and not too much dead-fall.

This area may be another option. (pics taken 10/27/10). Check and see if the road is open. Looking SE from the parking lot you may find a few filled-in gullies. Or, skin up the Crater Lake trail to the base of the Bells and/or Buckskin Pass. You may find some ok turns (don't forget to pay attention to what's above you). If nothing else, you'll certainly have good views.

p.s. I took old beat-up teles with a narrow skin. It took me about an hour (breaking trail, taking pics and not moving very fast) to the base of the Bells. I left my skins on while gliding back down the trail - control speed without turning or snowplowing over rocks. Have fun.

Wow, He appears ^^^^
    you get my text about those skis?

Maroon and Castle Creek Gates will be open until at least the 15th. Depends on if we can get the hunters out and get snowpack on the road....
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Nice pics, phatstix!

What have you been up to? Been a while; you actually going to ski this winter??

Sweet shots. Headed up there sat morn if the road is still open.

Edit: missed that comment re road status. Thanks

I admit, I've been lurking big-time since the snow has started to fly.

Thanks for the text on the Atlas, SDP. Funny, I was just sitting here researching those a few minutes ago when you replied to this thread. 125mm underfoot is large. I was also considering the K2 Sidestash for a little more versatility. Aren't you on those SNWL?

Hell yes I'm gonna actually ski this year. I think I had enough injuries last year to last me at least a half decade. I'm looking forward to gettin' out there with ya'll. SNWL can break trail for us!!

I'm seriously considering heading back up to the Bells or MB this weekend. Long hike = good for my soul.

Good to see your health! Stay that way and lets take some runs this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiNowWorkLater View Post
    Nice pics, phatstix!

What have you been up to? Been a while; you actually going to ski this winter??
    Oh hey whats up guys........nothing to add but miss you all haha

Quote Originally Posted by Raps View Post
    Oh hey whats up guys........nothing to add but miss you all haha

We need a TR!

you need to realize that this is not Utah, we did not get the thumping that they got. With that said, i have heard that norht facing slopes above 10500 are holding about 2-3 foot of good snow with a somewhat solid base.

You certainly do not want to ruin your season because you went out and hit a rock.

Have fun, heading to Sea of Cortez tomorrow for surf and kiting fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    We need a TR!
    Haha nothing too crazy going on out in Cali unfortunately.....ps - I tried to locate that ol' Aspen TR and can't find it.....did they delete it

Quote Originally Posted by Raps View Post
    Haha nothing too crazy going on out in Cali unfortunately.....ps - I tried to locate that ol' Aspen TR and can't find it.....did they delete it
    Oh you mean [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109019"]this thread[/ame]? It will never die!

Looking forward to seeing you this winter bud!

Quote Originally Posted by SkiNowWorkLater View Post
    Oh you mean this thread? It will never die!

Looking forward to seeing you this winter bud!
    Oh there she is! Haha love the warning before going to the page.

Yeah same here man! Other than my week in Feb i'm going to try and rock a couple weekends in Jan - will keep you guys posted.

Are you going to crash at "Steve's" when you're here?

Quote Originally Posted by coloskier View Post
    Wife and I are looking for some mellow backcountry turns Friday near Aspen. Anyone got any good ideas? Anyone looking to get out? Usually hit up montezuma early season but I assume access up there might be difficult/sketch after this current storm. Have 4wd and chains but no sled. Thanks.
    Word?

Quote Originally Posted by Phatstix View Post
    Word?
    Apologies for not coming back with some beta for the weekend. Was only in town a little longer than 48 hours but we made the most of it. Since that storm didn't hit as hard as hoped we took the midnight road advice and made it to the top of Ajax. Low angle pow turns ensued for a 1000+ vert. Used the chains to get down. Went to crater lake w/o the skis. Nice hike. Il Mulino is good but damn expensive. Learned the sangria was $18 each when the check came . Caught the fight Saturday night at the grape bar and a show after at belly up. Had just enough energy left to ski copper on the way home yesterday. Now back to reality, aka the office.