Page 1 of 81 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thumbs up The CONCERT thread

post the latest and greatest concert information here: what you just saw and a heads up for what is coming next. will this be useful? beats starting a thread for every concert i feel like sharing or talking about.

come on now...

The CONCERT thread

last week i saw Public Enemy at a small club here in Lausanne. my buddy and fellow maggot Geo039 got pulled onstage for an MC open mike during the show. fantastic show, my first time seeing PE and they rocked it out.
    Last edited by Ripzalot; 04-17-2015 at 04:58 AM.

Next up Karma To Burn last Thursday night...rocked out a tiny warehouse club with about 30 people there. Awesome.

Last edited by Ripzalot; 10-08-2011 at 10:03 AM.

Next up...HELMET on Dec 1st. Same tiny club as K2burn.

Killer shows, Ripz! I plan on seeing Karma to Burn in early December when they come to D.C. with The Sword and Mount Carmel.

Was supposed to catch Social Distortion this past weekend in Baltimore, but Mike Ness came down with the flu and the show was postponed. Fortunately the two openers, Frank Turner and Lucero, decided to play anyway and absolutely killed it. If you get a chance check these guys out for sure.

Frank Turner played first and got the crowd fired up then Lucero slowed things down a bit (they can rip, but seem to really shine with the slow numbers), but Frank came back for a solo encore with a rendition of Thunder Road that would have brought a tear to the Boss' eye.

seeing the Bronx thursday

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Gradient View Post
    Killer shows, Ripz! I plan on seeing Karma to Burn in early December when they come to D.C. with The Sword and Mount Carmel.
    A day or two after Seattle The Sword canceled the rest of their tour due to a lineup CF = drummer quit.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

we are road tripping cordova to Haines for a couple of weeks at Christmas. Skiing as much as possible. Corb Lund Band Dec. 31 in Haines Junction. Anybody here in the area.
    off your knees Louie

Lots of great shows this year but my 3 favorite have been Thom Yorke at the Santa Barbara Bowl (right against the rail, crazy day and night), Miike Snow at Urban Lounge (sub 300 people) and Sufjan Stevens at Kingsbury Hall. I wish I could go back in time to all 3.

Tomorrow Ladytron plays in SLC. Blonde Redhead is in town in a couple of weeks too. It's been a good year for music.

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    A day or two after Seattle The Sword canceled the rest of their tour due to a lineup CF = drummer quit.
    karma to burn was the opening band for that tour (at least in yurp) but fortunately continued their tour on without the sword. kinda sad for k2burn coz they were only packing in 30-50 people per show. k2burn is probably the best band i've discovered this year. amazing that they have flown under my radar for so long. a bit of trivia: the singer/guitarist daniel davies is the son of the kink's guitarist dave davies.

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    Yup, I saw the news a few weeks back that the drummer bailed. Apparently he was getting tired of the constant touring and life on the road...can't blame him there I guess.

I checked their website and they've scooped up a replacement drummer and will continue the tour later this month starting in Baton Rouge, so the D.C. date is still on!

Already posted this, but you have a chance to see Roger Waters, definitely check it out and bring some happy pills. It will likely be the most visually stimulating show you see this year and probably in a while. My brother saw Muse in Newark back in the end of October and couldn't say enough awesome things about their performance.

Saw Pelican a couple of weeks ago. Rawked. Sucks it sounds like they're done touring. Next up is Killing Joke in early December.

Yup, I saw the news a few weeks back that the drummer bailed. Apparently he was getting tired of the constant touring and life on the road...can't blame him there I guess.

I checked their website and they've scooped up a replacement drummer and will continue the tour later this month starting in Baton Rouge, so the D.C. date is still on!
    [napoleon dynamite]LUCKY![/nd]

I've been listening to Warp Riders pretty much on repeat for the past week or so. Some tracks are a bit lighter/softer/blues-rock-y-er than others (definitely hear swamp-rock Lynyrd Skynyrd influences in the vocals) overall it sounds a bit less metal than the previous two albums, but it's solid for sure. It will probably be in heavy rotation this winter.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Was supposed to catch Social Distortion this past weekend in Baltimore, but Mike Ness came down with the flu and the show was postponed. Fortunately the two openers, Frank Turner and Lucero, decided to play anyway and absolutely killed it. If you get a chance check these guys out for sure.

Frank Turner played first and got the crowd fired up then Lucero slowed things down a bit (they can rip, but seem to really shine with the slow numbers), but Frank came back for a solo encore with a rendition of Thunder Road that would have brought a tear to the Boss' eye.
    Saw them earlier in Detroit Oct 21 and Social Distortion kills it. It was my 3rd time seeing them and they have just gotten better with age. They always get such a cool crowd together that gets a good vibe going. This was the set list which was pretty damn good. Gotta love So far away one of my favs.

1. The Creeps
    2. Another State of Mind
    3. Mommy’s Little Monster
    4. Sick Boys
    5. Don’t Drag Me Down
    6. Bad Luck
    7. Bye Bye Baby
    8. Still Alive
    9. Ball and Chain
    10. Through These Eyes
    11. Bakersfield
    12. King of Fools
    13. When She Begins
    14. Making Believe

ENCORE
    15. So Far Away
    16. Prison Bound
    17. Down Here (With the Rest of Us)
    18. Ring of Fire

My schedule up to this point...

3/26 - John Mayer, Michael Franti
    4/16-18 - Coachella
    5/7 - Daughtry, Lifehouse
    5/20 - Dredg, Wallpaper
    5/30 - The Expendables, Big B
    6/19 - Barenaked Ladies
    6/20 - Iron Maiden, Dream Theater
    7/13 - TOOL
    8/21 - John Mayer, Owl City
    9/1 - Megadeth, Slayer, Testament
    9/25-26- Epicenter 2010 (Eminem, KISS, Bush, Papa Roach, etc)
    9/28 - Muse, Passion Pit
    10/16 - Treasure Island Music Festival (LCD Soundsystem, deadmau5, Die Antwoord, etc)
    10/29 - Spookfest (MSTRKRFT, Dada Life, LA Riots, Wolfgang Gartner, etc)
    11/12 - PANTyRAiD
    11/18 - Zion I
    11/23 - Pretty Lights
    12/3 - The Expendables
    12/4 - The Expendables
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

FYI. Next up for me will be Interpol at the showbox sodo on January 28th. Great venue. Grab ticks if its your thing.

I just got back to Maui after seeing Thievery Corporation and Massive attack at the Greek theater in Berkeley.

Wow. Great Venue, amazing vibe. Both bands different and both killed it. The 4 different singers for TC, the horns, that chic lulu singing in french, mind bending drugs, hundreds of smiling x-ing gorgeous little sweethearts....omg.

THEN massive attack, cranked in up, 2 drummers, another rad chic singing, then the old dread that sings 4-5 songs KILLED it. I managed to get off 1-2 decent pics.

First-rate entertainment.

that old dread looks like burning spear

built to spill is playing here tomorrow night. if my wife isn't sick, i'm gonna try to go

(edit - yep, I went)

Last edited by Tap; 11-12-2010 at 07:52 AM.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    that old dread looks like burning spear
    I believe that's Horace Andy.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    Next up Karma To Burn last Thursday night...rocked out a tiny warehouse club with about 30 people there. Awesome.

I have seen them SOOO many times, have smoke a TON with them in college. They were a Morgantown, WV band and my wife actually dated Nathan, the original drummer before she met me.

That just took me WAY back.
    Ripping bingers on their couch as they jammed was the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    I believe that's Horace Andy.
    You sir are correct. He is a scion of Jamaican reggae music and has been with Massive attack since 1990.

"He is a Rastafarian. Some of his lyrics on the subject of homosexuality have been considered controversial. Andy stated that Trojan Records only agreed to release his album On Tour after removing a track containing the lyrics, "The Father never make Adam and Steve, he make Adam and Eve"

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    built to spill is playing here tomorrow night. if my wife isn't sick, i'm gonna try to go
    You should. Iceman and I saw them here in DC last month. Great show.

Next up for me is Andrew Bird (thanks, Woodsy!) on Dec. 6th.

Hold Steady tonight in SLC!

I saw Gorillaz on 10-30 in Oracle Arena, Oakland. Best show I have ever been too! Anyone thats a Gorillaz fan should go to the nearest show.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXIu41iJzYY"]YouTube - Gorillaz "Cloud of Unknowing" & "Feel Good, Inc." live at the Oracle Arena 10/30/2010[/nomedia]

Not my Vid, but same show.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA