Page 6 of 81 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Just got back from Zellerbach Hall at UC Berkeley where the SF Opera Orchestra absolutely slayed Beethoven's 5th and 7th symphonies.

I've seen the original members of Black Sabbath play "Paranoid". I've seen BÖC play "Don't Fear The Reaper". I've seen Iron Maiden play "Phantom of the Opera, and now I've seen a kickass orchestra play Beethoven's 5th symphony. I will be incorporating some of that into new Metalmücil riffs. Dun dun dun DUNNNNNNNN!!!!
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Another evening in Berkeley, this time at Freight and Salvage to see my pal Dave McGraw and Mandy Fer open for Willy Porter. All three of them are phenomenal guitarists, singers, and entertainers.

They're heading to Eugene, Portland, and Seattle in the next few days and I highly recommend checking them out.

Dave McGraw's website

Willy Porter's website
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Saw Foo Fighters in San Diego and Sacramento recently. They always put on a killer rock show.

Going to see Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson (touring in support of his new solo album) tonight in B-more. Should be a good show!

Great show - a must see if you're a Prog Rock fan. Here are the upcoming dates: http://www.gracefordrowning.com/tour-dates.php

Watched that video 3 times in a row this morning at 6am much, I'm sure, to my roommates chagrin. Good shit.

We need to get back on turntable and scratch each others back some day tipp.

we saw Dark Star Orchestra again last friday at the Calvin in Northampton. without getting into who is a better dead cover band-furthur or dso, what it is, is a very fun night of dancing and listening to well played grateful dead music.

the show was april 18, 1984-New Haven, a show i attended as a sophomore in college with many of the same people i regularly go to shows and ski with.

Saw Social Distortion, Chuck Ragan and Suedehead last night.

Even though Social D are legends, a band I grew up with and the headliner, I was there mostly for Chuck (first time seeing his solo act) and he didn't disappoint. I brought the wife along as she is a moderate Social D fan and needs some (sub)culturing. Although unfamiliar with Chuck or HWM (other than occasionally hearing them in my car), she was pretty much hypnotized by Chuck (and his band's) performance. A stand up bass player, a fiddleist and a guitarist/singer who sounds like a pirate playing punk infused folksy roots music- how can you not love that?

Not my videos, but from the show I was at:

Social D was ok, but kind of unexciting after Chuck Ragan, kind of seemed like they were just going through the motions. After 30 years, can you blame them?

Suedehead is a band I'm not familiar with, but they put on a decent show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Saw Chuck Ragan about a year ago, definitely a good show. Possessed by Paul James opened, and he fuckin kills it. Same genre as Chuck. You'd probably like it if you like Chuck. He puts on the best shows ever.

Saw Orange Goblin last night. Tremendous show. Just amazing energy every song.

Primus sucks!

actually, they were awesome. they played 2 sets including the green naugahyde album in its entirety. the visuals were really cool too.

Saw Inner Circle open for Ziggy Marley Sunday night here on Maui.

Great show, Inner circle have been at it since the 70's. Tight classic old school.

Ziggy is Bob personified in a youthfull body, less defiant, but the same energy. When he played his father's songs, I closed my eyes and was transported to Montego bay in 79....

The weird thing about this maui show was we rolled up on the entry, tickets in hand, entered the maze to get a wristband and the dude says "empty your pockets" What? Me son? you crazy? There were two cops overlooking this scene and I was caught right off gaurd. I looked to my side and saw a trashcan full of lighters, cig packs and water bottles. I pulled my keys and wallet out and the guy taps my front pocket and says take our everything... I stuff the keys back in then out and throw my stash backhand into the trash can all slight of hand like. The guy tries to call me on it. "what did you throw in there"? ...a lighter. Which one? The one that says bad mother fucker on it! he looked in the can and had to let us slide. Close fucking call. I have been going to shows there 20 years and NEVER have they pulled that shit. My chick was like dude, you are fucking smooth.

Fuckers, try to trip you up when you are high.

Fucking Babylon.

DAVID BROMBERG this friday night in a tiny theater!, can't believe he is coming to town. Will give a full report.
    If you don't know him, here is an old one or two he wrote, and that's Bob Dylan on harp.

Saw Black Tusk and Red Fang on Easter Sunday. They both killed it! Awesome show.

Black Tusk

Red Fang
    Last edited by Ripzalot; 05-09-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    Primus sucks!
    Pretty psyched - gonna see them in Missoula in June. Bonus: they're playing at the big sky brewery.

Any Bay Area mags going to Outside Lands this year?

http://sfoutsidelands.com

saw Judas Priest last night. Amazing show! Fire! Lazers! Smoke! Couldn't have sounded any better. I was amazed at Halford's voice. Perfection.

Thin Lizzy opened. they were actually pretty solid and sounded great. Considering there was only one original member.

Saw Jack White with Alabama Shakes opening last night at the Ryman in Nashvegas.

Pretty far and away the greatest show I've ever attended. Think I'm gonna schlep to Detroit next week and see him there. Unbelievable.

This Lee Ranaldo followed by St. Vincent on monday.

saw sleep last night. one of the most sonically intense shows i have ever seen. 5 stars!

Saw the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion at the Caves du Manoir in Martigny, CH. CdM is a special place, tiny wine cellar not more than 10m x 10m. It is famous for underground / alternative concerts since back in the late 80s. to see JSBE there was just incredible. So much sweat and energy!

Saw Donovan Frankenrieter last thursday at higher ground. Another great show by him. Can't believe he doesn't get bigger crowds in Burlington. He puts on a good show and jams hard. This was the 4th or 5th time we have seen him and he is consistent with great shows every time. Mostly new band this time and they still rip.

Saw Of Monsters and Men in SLC a few weeks back. Kind of a folksie Icelandic Arcade Fire feel. Anyway they were very good. Absolutely worth seeing if they come by.

They have a full live set "live at the Bowery ballroom" on YouTube if anyone is interested in checking them out.
    relax... I'm a professional.

Baroness last Thursday night in Basel...super awesome!

Check out their new Yellow & Green album. Even if you are not metal you might like it. Very different from previous albums.

http://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Green-B...words=baroness

Santana and the A. Bros Monday night. Old? Yup. Should be good? Yup.

Psyched?

Yup indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    Baroness last Thursday night in Basel...super awesome!
    Sweet. They're close to the top of bands I'd like to see right now. Bummed they're not playing anywhere within ~2000 miles of me at any time in the foreseeable future.

Also agreed that Yellow / Green are different from the band's previous work but pretty good and worth a listen.