Page 49 of 81 FirstFirst ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 2013
    Sunday night small show with Les & crew.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0kSKAIQLTiC54L7yolXGuQ.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	953.7 KB 
ID:	250579

Wednesday night big show with Dave and Foo-Crew

Name:	Byr4lhEbT9aydfOdexv6uw.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	250580

meanwhile , back at The Beacon
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

ripping

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Sunday night small show with Les & crew.

Name:	0kSKAIQLTiC54L7yolXGuQ.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	953.7 KB 
ID:	250579
    Woot! Checking their tour schedule.

Beacon nights 5 & 6

Any Denver folks looking for something new:

Qrion 10/18

https://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/mobile/index/1767058

No pix as I roll Old School with only cash and a lighter when I go to shows.

Mercury Rev: http://www.mercuryrev.com/
    Tuesday, Oct. 16th, 2018
    The Chapel, San Francisco, CA: https://www.thechapelsf.com/
    Ticket price: $32 at the door

First time seeing a show at The Chapel and I was impressed. Great space that is the former chapel of a mortuary. There is an adjoining restaurant with a solid craft beer selection (they had Hen House and Fieldwork on tap). Venue is just an open room with vaulted, church-like ceiling and a mezzanine/balcony. 3 bars (one in the restaurant, one on the floor, one in the mezzanine) so getting libations was never a problem.
    As for the headliners? I have been waiting to see Mercury Rev for at least a decade as they rarely tour these days and when they do it's usually been as part of a festival or not anywhere near where I live (Tahoe). While I own several of their albums, I haven't listened to any of them in a spell, so I basically went into the show cold. It was billed as the "20th Anniversary of Deserter's Songs", the album that brought them semi-mainstream accolades.
    The band took the stage around 10:20 after an opening act (cannot remember her name, but she was totally channeling Hope Sandoval). They were a streamlined 4-piece backing the lead singer; bass, drums, keys/flute, lead guitar. They were tight, delivering a sound dwelling at the sonic intersection of prog rock, art pop, and Broadway musical (though actually more closer to the catchy symphonic stylings of vintage Disney animated feature films crossed with cabaret elements). My fried Reba called it "psychedelic circus music".
    Keeping with this sort of theme, the lead singer was very theatrical, prancing around the stage and "orchestrating" the whole affair with wild hand gestures; it was very Brechtian in parts. That said, all the band members were dressed very casual and there were no set pieces on stage. In fact, the only "effects" used were lights directed on a disco ball suspended from the center of the ceiling. These were used sparingly throughout the set to create starscapes and, at times, an underwater vibe.
    The lead singer's voice resides somewhere between Roger Hodgson (Supertramp), Wayne Coyne (Flaming Lips), and Tim DeLaughter (Tripping Daisy/The Polyphonic Spree); it's high pitched, but with a raspy undertone.
    As I mentioned above, the band was amazingly tight, often sounding as if 12 or more musicians were on stage instead of the 5. Their sound was immersive, full, and intense whether perforrming vocal dominated songs or when they broke into the occasional jam.
    Highly recommended if you dig Yoshimi-era Flaming Lips, latter period Supertramp, Tripping Daisy, The Polyphonic Spree, Sky Cries Mary...
    I am definitely going to be re-visiting their albums in the coming weeks, that's for sure.
    Oh and if you live in the Bay Area, definitely check the calendar for The Chapel, it's a great venue.

Tour Schedule:
    https://www.facebook.com/MercuryRev/...33431770017809
    Last edited by dookey67; 10-19-2018 at 09:24 AM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

No pics because I’m a bozo, but check out Mr Twin Sister if you fancy some indie-dance-funk kinda stuff. Just saw them at a tiny venue, they’re polished and ready for bigger shows.

Local swiss metal bands The Crotals + Lazerkaat last night. Crotals are an excellent sludge/doom metal.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

I saw Danzig in SLC Saturday. He's doing a 7-stop mini-tour for their 30th anniversary. Super psyched to see him, I was listening to Misfits and Samnhain before Danzig formed. He is past his prime voice-wise, but he brought a lot of energy and a few songs his voice was strong......enough. They started out playing 3 new shitty songs, then 3 from Danzig 1, 5 from Danzig 2, 3 from Danzig 3, and one from Danzig 4, although I may remember that wrong. Then they ended on 'Mother', of course.

Anyone in Denver should see them on Halloween!

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    No pics because I’m a bozo, but check out Mr Twin Sister if you fancy some indie-dance-funk kinda stuff. Just saw them at a tiny venue, they’re polished and ready for bigger shows.
    They are really really good. Thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/mrtwinsister

Fuck the Phish couch tour.

Right now is Steve Kimock Tangled Vines livestream.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

If you were on the couch, then you must have had a drunk/OD/food coma with some earplugs on, because that goes down as the best 4 night run in 30 years.

Yob is love.

So Dweezil fucking crushed it last night. The fingerboard on the SG he’s playing in this pic is half fretless.

Name:	IMG_9424.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	462.4 KB 
ID:	254312

^Cool...He's been on my short list to see. Doesn't he have some Frankensteined guitar that is part Jimmy Hendrix? Nice pic.

Dweezil rips. So worth it seeing him whenever you can.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    ^Cool...He's been on my short list to see. Doesn't he have some Frankensteined guitar that is part Jimmy Hendrix? Nice pic.
    I think he has the strat that Jimi set on fire, or at least one of them

Billy Strings in SLC last Saturday was a barn burner. Insane talent out of his whole band. GF and I got a little to loosey goosey at TF Brewing/Shades before the show+an edible so we had to bail midway through set two.
    Pixie and the Partygrass Boys are going somewhere.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Arabrot - avant garde/noise rock/metal from Norway. Melvin fans will appreciate, the new album is great. In my top 10 for 2018.

Rosetta - post metal, proggish shoegaze from Philly. Heavy and tight.

The Ocean - post/prog/sludge metal from Germany. Insanely intense live. Technical perfection.

The Joy Formidable tonight in Brooklyn... anyone going?... first round is on Benny.

"Some folks may have the luxury to hold out for “the perfect.” But a lot of Americans are hurting right now and they can’t wait for that." - Hillary Clinton

The CONCERT thread

Marian Hill Brooklyn NY 12/15 $10:

https://www.ticketfly.com/event/1787...rian-brooklyn/

‪hi it’s me jeremy I’ll be playing my first ever DJ set as Clear Eyes Music in NYC on dec 15!! Gonna spin a ton of unreleased tunes, including new Marian Hill, new Clear Eyes, and moooooore ticket link in bio, follow @cleareyesmusic_ for more info 🧙🏻♂️

Considered the greatest live performance of all time. Queen at Wembley for Live Aid in 1985.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/09/a...gtype=Homepage

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Marian Hill Brooklyn NY 12/15 $10:

https://www.ticketfly.com/event/1787...rian-brooklyn/

‪hi it’s me jeremy I’ll be playing my first ever DJ set as Clear Eyes Music in NYC on dec 15!! Gonna spin a ton of unreleased tunes, including new Marian Hill, new Clear Eyes, and moooooore ticket link in bio, follow @cleareyesmusic_ for more info ����♂️
    I had no idea 4matic DJ'd. Props.

The Joy Formidable last night at a great venue, Music Hall of Williamsburg (Brooklyn NY)

First time there, wont be the last. Met some very nice people visiting from London. They had a few extra passes for the vip meet and greet mini performance before the show and hooked us up. LOVE this band.