Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rolling Stones - '69 thru '72

Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile - the greatest period of creativity any rock band ever had?
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

can't argue with you on that.

they had it going on from roughly 66/67 - 72/74, then began the slow decline (as most good bands do as they age), but then rallied hard with "some girls" in 78. their last great album IMO.

I'm reading Keef's memoir right now, "Life", pretty amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile - the greatest period of creativity any rock band ever had?
    I'd agree but add Beggar's Banquet. There was another thread on this back when Jimmy Kimmel had Stones week. Somebody on the board held up Goats Head Soup as better than Exile. Unpossible.

PBS had a concert from the 1990 Steel Wheels tour recently. Can't say I was into their new music at that point, but the concert was awesome.
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

Golden period of great rock and roll.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Quote Originally Posted by bl2000 View Post
    I'd agree but add Beggar's Banquet. There was another thread on this back when Jimmy Kimmel had Stones week. Somebody on the board held up Goats Head Soup as better than Exile. Unpossible.
    Go read the thread again jack-ass. At no point did I say Goat's Head is better than Exile. I simply said don't dismiss Goat's Head and Some Girls.

Still rocking Keith Urban?

I like the stones well before 69' the nitty gritty polar opposites of their more bubble gum pop counterparts. I loose the stone after sticky fingers.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Do you have one of those gay ass stickers on your car? If so, I'll bet money youre an uptight passive aggressive fucktard that hates anyone different than them, yet loves to pay lip service to 'tolerance'.

People with coexist stickers are ALMOST as bad as tele skiers, although there is some overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Go read the thread again jack-ass. At no point did I say Goat's Head is better than Exile. I simply said don't dismiss Goat's Head and Some Girls.

Still rocking Keith Urban?
    I don't have time to re-read that thread, but someone (maybe you fuck-face?) said that GHS was in heavy rotation at their place. FWIW, I never heard of Keith Urban before the show. So, I didn't have any preconceived notion like you apparently do. But he did a freakin good cover, and a good song is a good song. I've never heard him again since. As far as I know.

Some of GHS is OK. But I still say "Angie" sucks.

I agree with this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Mick Taylor roolz.

oh yeah, remember this
    [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192941"]Exile On Main St.:reissue - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    Incredible stuff, but can't match the Beatles from Rubber Soul to the end.

^ I'd have to agree. Not my cup of tea but revolver, white album, just fucking towering acheivements. Sometimes you want to argue that say a who tommy-quadro, zep I-untitled, floyd, but really...nothing else even comes close to stones & beatles in that timeframe.
    "Can't you see..."

Sorry to chime in late here but Led zeppelin had more ground breaking music during that era.

Is it a coincidence that the years Stu has chosen were the Mick Taylor years? Nope.

I saw Taylor live a handful of times around 7-10 years ago. Dude was still bringin' it.

The Taylorized version of Sympathy is amazing (listen to Ya-Ya's). With him on board, the song morphed from simply awesome to filthy nastiness. His solos on Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Time Waits For No One are amazing too. There's something about the way he plays guitar. Just nasty.

The Goats Head Soup discussion is interesting too since I was listening to it earlier today. I love that album. Doo Doo Doo is a classic. Lots of other good tracks too. Winter was the perfect song for today. And Angie most definitely does not suck. I'm sorry, but that song kicks ass. So well written. To each their own I guess.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

it does beg the question:

rolling stones: 69-72 - let it bleed, sticky fingers, exile
    jimi: 67-70 - are you experiances, axis, electric ladyland, band of gypsys
    beatles 66-70 - revolver, sgt peppers, magical mystery tour, abbey road, let it be
    pink floyd - 69-73 - ummagumma, atom heart mother, meddle, obscured by cloud, dark side
    led zepplin 69-73 - LZ, II, III, IV, Houses of the holy

while exile is probably my favorite album ever, i gotta go with pink floyd here. those contributions are beyond exceptional. with dark side being possibly the single most creative, well produced, stand the test of time album ever recorded, from start to finish.

and the non-rock winner, IMO is:
    Public enemy: 88-91, nation of millions, Fear of a black planet, apoclypse 91
    Last edited by marshalolson; 11-25-2010 at 10:11 AM.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Certainly not in the same league as the others, but for a five year period, Fogerty was definitely dialed in with Creedence. The band had an unbelievable run from '68 to '71 with the following albums.

Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Bayou Country
    Green River
    Willy and the Poor Boys
    Cosmo's Factory
    Pendulum
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

darkhorse:

radiohead 93-97 - pablo honey, the bends, ok computer
    followed by:
    radiohead 2000-2003 - kid a, amnesiac, hail to the theif
    or what i would call the most productive decade in modern music.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Another darkhorse, but in terms of creativity, I gotta mention:

REM 1983-1987
    Murmur, Reckoning, Fables, Life's Rich, Document

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    The Taylorized version of Sympathy
    Always been a fan of the gunner's version of that song, which was much more true to the gunners than to the stones. Ass-kickin guitar riff, "save us, milkboy..." there's also a pretty decent instrumental version on the soundtrack to an old peter strauss movie Jerico Mile.

Always thought Beggar's was one one of the most underrated albums ever. Jigsaw puzzle, stray cats, parachute woman, etc. Their answer to st. peppers.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    i gotta go with pink floyd here. those contributions are beyond exceptional. with dark side being possibly the single most creative, well produced, stand the test of time album ever recorded.

and the non-rock winner, IMO is:
    Public enemy: 88-91, nation of millions, Fear of a black planet, apoclypse 91
    This, + Parliament/Funkadelic '70-'77
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    This, + Parliament/Funkadelic '70-'77
    good call.

i am also tossing in there curtis mayfield 1970-72 - curtis, roots, superfly
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

how about eric clapton? certainly not a band... but well... in terms of creativity:

1966-1974 - john mayall and the bluesbreakers w/ EC (if you have never heard this album, go download it right now), fresh cream, disraeli gears,wheels of fire, goodbye, blind faith, layla, EC, 461 ocean blvd

he defined modern blues (bluesbreakers), invented psychedelic rock (along with jimi), gave birth to hard rock (ie cream->sabbath->everything else), perfected southern style rock (layla w/ duane a), and launched reggae to the US (461).

oh, and if that is not enough, recorded probably the most famous guitar solo ever on while my guitar gently weeps.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

darkhorse:

radiohead 93-97 - pablo honey, the bends, ok computer
    followed by:
    radiohead 2000-2003 - kid a, amnesiac, hail to the theif
    or what i would call the most productive decade in modern music.
    hard to argue with that, pablo honey though is my go-to Radiohead album most of the time, just a straight up kick ass rock album.

Exile on Main Street > everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Sure to be as non-controversial an addition to this thread as my view of Angie:

The Grateful Dead, 1967
    Anthem Of The Sun, 1968
    Aoxomoxoa, 1969
    Live/Dead, 1969
    Workingman's Dead, 1970
    American Beauty, 1970
    Grateful Dead (Skull & Roses), 1971
    Europe '72, 1972
    Wake Of The Flood, 1973
    Grateful Dead From The Mars Hotel, 1974
    Blues For Allah, 1975
    Terrapin Station, 1977

But, Exile was one of the few albums that hit me like a stun gun the first time I heard it.

V V V

how about eric clapton?
    Do you notice a common thread? John Mayall. Here's a list of people who's careers he helped launch (stolen from wiki): Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce, Peter Green, John McVie, Mick Fleetwood, Mick Taylor, Don "Sugarcane" Harris, Harvey Mandel, Larry Taylor, Aynsley Dunbar, Hughie Flint, Jon Hiseman, Dick Heckstall-Smith, Andy Fraser, Johnny Almond, Rick Cortes, Jon Mark, Walter Trout, Coco Montoya, and Buddy Whittington.

Anyway, I'll add one to the epic few years list:
    Jane's Addiction '87-'91
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."