Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Bumping this thread for mid-season. Desire for powder doesn't go away when you have had a lot of it, just gets amplified. And snowpacks get more complex over time, with variability as to aspect and elevation.

Also to prompt any of you (Cookie Monster) to contribute thoughts to the April issue of The Avalanche Review. Theme for that issue is human factor, decision-making, and case studies of accidents by avalanche professionals and experts. Wanna share a decision-making trap you just fell in?

PM me with questions and to receive Guidelines for Submissions. Deadline is Feb 15.
    Last edited by homemadesalsa; 01-24-2011 at 12:37 PM.

Bumping this old thread as it has some pretty pertinent information for our PWL conversation.

Great bump. Good discussion and nuggets in there.

In CO there’s always so much winter uncertainty that I try to manage the desire side of things. Set expectations at similar to a long hike - exercise, getting outside, explore, expand my skills some... and then tag on some mellow skiing at the end. At least through the winter, then open things up more come spring

The “I know the mountain” mindset seems arrogant, especially with a PWL. Working off gut feel in 40 degree terrain feels like roulette and your number is bound to come up... but as long as your solo and not dragging others with you (except SAR who always gets dragged into others’ decision making)

The card is a great idea. I have my checklist card zip tied to my beacon