TR: Refugio Plantat on Volcan San Jose, Chile

In early September, Cristobal "Chopo" Alamiro Diaz and I, Drew Michael Tabke, spent the night in Rufugio Plantat de Volcan San Jose. Though the central Andes were having a very low snow year, Valle de La Engorda at the head of Cajon de Maipo still had some huge skiable runs that we were interested in climbing and skiing.

The plan was to stay at the Refugio on the lower slopes of 19,200' Volcan San Jose, rise early, and tick off one of the lines on the opposing ridge that local snowmo-assisted snowboarders (including Chopo's brother Manuel), who suggested this area to us, had dubbed "Little Portillo." (Shown above.)

After some nice skiing in the area of the refugio, an amazing sunset, and some good food, we slept soundly in the sturdy ~70 year old stone house. We got up at 6am to find 10 foot visibility outside, and each consecutive hour that I rose to look out the door I found the same thing. So it was with heavy hearts that we bailed on skiing anything "rad" and instead skied the looong run out to our car, each packing a huge bag of trash from the refuge strapped to our backs.

Video by Chopo:

Volcan San Jose from near Banos Morales.

Nice. Traveling on skis. That's what it's all about boys.

nice edit. how long did zorro hang around you guys?
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Enjoyable.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

All part of the game. Good edit Drew, liked the candle vid.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

real cool, love the 1-candle night in the refugio
    o--/\
    --/(. \
    -/ .) ' \ go with respect, get to know your mountains
    /' (. ' |'\
    ' ' .) ' ,'

Nice vid and great place.
    I've driven up to that area a few times and have dreamed of the possibilities.
    Good on ya for making the most of the lean season near santiago

Bien engordita la nieve alli
    Aggressive in my own mind

Very cool.
    The Passion is in the Risk

Very cool: liked it a lot.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA