Job Description

Corporate Counsel- Mountain Division-102994
    Organization: Corporate
    Primary Location: Colorado-Broomfield
    Schedule: Full-time
    Target Start Date : Nov 30, 2010
    Pay Rate: DOE
    Description:
    This position will support the Vice President & Assistant General Counsel in providing legal advice to the Company's Mountain Division. Responsibilities will include: general legal advice to the Company's ski resort operations, private club and retail/rental operations staff; contract matters involving mountain operations, special events, and on-mountain development; legal compliance with the broad range of laws applicable to the Company's Mountain Division; and limited dispute resolution. The attorney also will collaborate with the Legal, Health & Safety, ski resort operational staff and other Company divisions to develop and oversee policies and procedures to add value and reduce legal risks to the Company. Corporate Counsel-Mountain Division will need to become familiar with every facet of the Company's ski resort operations and provide value-added, business-minded legal advice.
    Support Vice President & Assistant General Counsel in providing general legal advice and counsel to the Company's Mountain Division
    Draft and negotiate contracts relating to the Company's Mountain Division and supervise contract work by Contract Paralegals
    Review and provide interpretation of existing contracts and propose contract modifications or alternate resolutions to potential conflicts
    Support Vice President & Assistant General Counsel in public lands work with United States Forest Service
    Interpret private club documents and work with club operations to resolve member conflicts and complaints
    Review, revise and propose best practices, policies, manuals, handbooks, and guidelines
    Drive compliance with applicable law and Company policy
    Assist in the preparation and presentation of legal training to Mountain Division operations staff
    Supervise and manage outside counsel
    Other duties as assigned
    Qualifications:
    JD from top tier accredited law school
    Minimum 3 years experience focused in general business advice and/or contracts.
    Some experience and familiarity with real estate development and land use/entitlements and environmental law.
    Active state bar license, CO preferred
    High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
    Must be able to properly research legal questions and to provide clear and concise written and oral advice.
    Must be able to communicate effectively and tactfully, in person, in writing and by telephone
    Must be able to provide advice that is both practical and legally acceptable, taking into account the needs and objectives of the business
    Must have a passion for promoting a positive, productive culture that furthers the company mission of "experience of a lifetime"
    Must have a strong customer service orientation, with the ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with staff and executives at all levels
    Must be able to work independently and as part of a team
    Must have strong organizational and time management skills
    Must have a high level of personal and professional integrity
    Must be a competent skier or rider as position will require extensive on-mountain interaction
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I am very strong in at least 2 of the required areas..... I might have a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by bushman View Post
    I am very strong in at least 2 of the required areas..... I might have a shot.
    I am guessing. . .

and. . . .?????????
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    I am guessing. . .

and. . . .?????????
    "provide clear and concise written and oral advice."

"Must be a competent skier or rider as position will require extensive on-mountain interaction" = When there is fresh snow, staff meetings are held on the mountain and you better be able to keep up.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Fuck. About 3 years too early for me.

Didn't stop me from applying though.

Whoever gets this keep me in mind...

I'm applying.
    Fuck it. I've got noting to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    I'm applying.
    Fuck it. I've got noting to lose.
    Wish I would have previously seen this. We serve as Vail's primary outside counsel. 500 applications thus far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    Wish I would have previously seen this. We serve as Vail's primary outside counsel. 500 applications thus far.
    Do you think a clerkship (Colo. App.) is a good way to get another shot at your firm?

Quote Originally Posted by HellgateBasement View Post
    Do you think a clerkship (Colo. App.) is a good way to get another shot at your firm?
    Despite what Rontele tells you, blowing him won't help.

Quote Originally Posted by HellgateBasement View Post
    I think that is a great way to break into this job market, my firm or others. Its tough right now because the job openings that are there (and we are hiring - corporate, litigation, etc.) all require experience. Don't get discouraged and keep on pounding the pavement. At least by having a clerkship out here, you will be out here and able to network and hopefully find a long-term position.

I think that is a great way to break into this job market, my firm or others. Its tough right now because the job openings that are there (and we are hiring - corporate, litigation, etc.) all require experience. Don't get discouraged and keep on pounding the pavement. At least by having a clerkship out here, you will be out here and able to network and hopefully find a long-term position.
    SRSLY hiring experienced litigation?

I'm interested....though taking another bar isn't exaclty giving me a boner..I've got large scale complex civil lit experience.

A little early for me too.

I'll have the requisite land use and enviro experience in a couple years.

D,

You guys do RE/land use/enviro stuff too?

Getting jealous of one of my best buddies from undergrad (and his various FB photos of hiking 14ers and whatnot) who moved to Denver in June.

I do love me our sticky snow though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I'm interested....though taking another bar isn't exaclty giving me a boner..I've got large scale complex civil lit experience.
    Yes. Email me your resume and cover letter to drontal at bhfs dot com

Yes. Email me your resume and cover letter to drontal at bhfs dot com
    So wait...I don't have to pm rontele?

get a DC admission, automatic for 5yr out from an ABA school. Colorado is a recirocal state
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Does anybody know if they made a hiring decision? Start date was supposed to be 1/3/11 but the position is still listed on Vail's website. I'm curious to see who they hired from a stack of resumes 6 ft. high.

Also, looks like they're hiring another attorney:

Senior Corporate Counsel (SEC and Governance)-110113
    Organization: Corporate
    Primary Location: Colorado-Broomfield
    Target Start Date : Mar 14, 2011
    Description:
    Experienced corporate and securities attorney with sound business ethics and substantial experience in the review and preparation of SEC filings, public news releases and corporate governance. This senior attorney will report to the Senior Vice President and General Counsel of Vail Resorts, Inc. Position is located within the legal department located in the Company's headquarters in Broomfield.

Provide advice and counsel on a broad array of corporate issues
    Work with the financial accounting group in preparation of SEC periodic filings
    Prepare and ensure timely filing of other SEC and NYSE disclosures
    Advise on corporate governance matters
    Work closely with the General Counsel to prepare for Board of Directors and Board committee meetings and keep abreast of developments and best practices in Board governance matters
    Oversight of corporate subsidiaries, including foreign subsidiary formation and operating oversight
    Develop and implement corporate policies, including working with the Senior Compliance Manager to develop training programs for insider trading, anti-trust, FCPA and other compliance areas
    Maintenance and oversight of executive compensation plans and long-term equity incentive plans
    Other duties as assigned
    Qualifications:
    At least 6 years experience in securities and corporate governance at top law firm
    Must have great communication skills and work well with a wide variety of internal clients. Must have superb drafting and analytical skills and be articulate and confident. Candidate must show initiative in pursuing appropriate, timely and effective solutions to complex issues

Buuump

Corporate Counsel - Transactions-113752
    Colorado-Broomfield (Corporate Headquarters)
    Description:
    We are the premier mountain resort company in the world and a leader in luxury, destination-based travel at iconic locations. Our product is the great outdoors. Our mission is simple: Experience of a Lifetime ™

Vail Resorts, Inc., through its subsidiaries, is the leading mountain resort operator in the United States. We operate the world-class mountain resort properties of Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Keystone mountain resorts in Colorado, and the Heavenly Ski Resort and Northstar-at-Tahoe Resort in the Lake Tahoe area of California and Nevada, and the Grand Teton Lodge Company in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. We also operate RockResorts, a luxury resort property and hotel company, featuring casually elegant properties across the United States and in the Caribbean. Vail Resorts Development Company is the real estate planning, development and construction subsidiary of Vail Resorts, Inc. The corporate headquarters for all of these subsidiaries is located in Broomfield, Colorado.

The Senior Corporate Counsel - Transactions role will be responsible for leading cross-functional business and legal teams through diligence, negotiation, document drafting, and transition of acquisitions. The successful candidate will be an experienced transactions attorney with sound business ethics and substantial experience in acquisitions and divestitures. This senior attorney will report to the Executive Vice President and General Counsel of Vail Resorts, Inc. The position is located within the legal department in the Company's headquarters.

Job Responsibilities
    Lead attorney responsible for all acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and other business development opportunities within the Company
    Participate as key member of the cross-functional Strategic Development team, focused on domestic and international transactions
    Responsibility will vary depending on size/nature of transaction and may include handling matters solely in-house or working as lead in-house attorney supporting larger team and outside counsel
    In all business deals, analyze proposed transaction for business and deal risk, structure appropriate diligence review framework, lead or participate in negotiations on deal points, draft or review acquisition documentation
    Work closely with the General Counsel, the VP of Strategic Development, Financial Reporting, Tax, HR, and other subject matter experts during target identification, acquisition, closing and transition
    Other duties as assigned

Qualifications:
    Minimum 6 years experience leading cross-functional business and legal teams through diligence, negotiation, document drafting, and transition of acquisitions
    Experience in acquisitions and divestitures required
    Oral and written English language communication skills required
    Must have great communication skills and work well with a wide variety of internal clients
    Must have superb drafting and analytical skills and be articulate and confident
    Candidate must show initiative in pursuing appropriate, timely and effective solutions to complex issues

VR difficult to work for, impossible?

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    VR difficult to work for, impossible?
    I've got no personal experience, but have heard from several sources that the VR GC is satan's mother (which jives with what I've seen from several other Jones Day products). Goes a long way towards explaining the incredibly high turnover for such a small legal group. I know the jobs sound sexy, but I'd think long and hard before leaving a decent job (firm, in-house or otherwise) to go to work at VR.

Edited to add: About 10 hours after I posted this message, I got an e-mail from a headhunter who is trying to fill a position with VR. FWIW, their ideal candidate is a corporate attorney with 4+ years of M&A experience.
    Last edited by Smoova; 12-19-2011 at 04:42 PM.

Hi,

I agreed with you. Any way, your points of view make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Pls try to keep posting. Tks and best regards

Apart from that, this link below may be useful: Vice president assistant job description

Rgs
    Last edited by tua022012; 01-17-2012 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Update