Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Don't get me wrong, it's still insane. (especially for small local retailers and purveyors) But so is everywhere so vastly beautiful and accessible, all things told.

At least I can't think of one.

3% of develop-able ground in this entire county, in perpetuity.
    The only flexible factor is, well, cost.

Enough, hope you all are getting some cold smoke, I am still 2 weeks out...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

did you or someone you know lose something valuable on the ridge between no name and jensen canyons on friday? if so, let me know what you lost and if it matches what i found, i'll get it back to you ASAP.

if you know of someone who lost an item, let 'em know about this.

quick shot from yesterday, snow was awesomely light, but not surpisingly very sluffy/slidy. gotta love suns out guns out days

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post

if you know of someone who lost an item, let 'em know about this.
    YOU FOUND IT!!!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

rideit FTW!

Pretty underreported snow today and one hundred percent blower.

And Id ask anyone with info about someone taking out a bunch of mailboxes and egging a couple cars near the Maverick to PM me. Reward for any good info.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

today was a huge sleeper day, so much stuff to send, so little time (9-4)

two word description sums it up: CLASSIC TARGHEE

Today was was sweet inbounds in the am, then Pinedale in the bc was beyond sick in the pm.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

does Jackson always under report? The caption on the photo of the day is 5" of waist deep fluff.

some stoke while I continue to heal...
    [ame="http://vimeo.com/18507678"]section E - mostly pow [/ame]

Late December, Early January In Jackson

Originally posted on my blog, Point Of Release:

The holiday crowds are gone, the bitter cold is a thing of the past (at least until next week) and the mountain is still as good as it's been all season thanks to a totally unexpected 7" dusting two nights ago. And there's with more snow on the way this weekend. Here are a few cuts from the end of December and beginning of the new year.

Skiing & Editing: Than Volk
    Music: Digital Love - Daft Punk

A few recent photos as well:

Last edited by PointOfRelease; 01-09-2011 at 07:06 PM.

like the shot of lower dicks, one of my favorite inbounds zones

Better bump this to front page...

Just spent 2 nights at the Plummer yurt skiing everything we could find north facing into the s fork of Game Creek. Now that is some remarkable terrain, and double-remarkable to find it filled in, stable, and untracked.

And my 50th birthday. Ripping hard for three days, no problem. Two days needed for recovery from skiing and drinking- now that's the new part. Just a few photos since the light was so good. Sorry none of the skiing- all n-facing with flat light, plus no-one wanted to stop to shoot.

Pancho'sDad, Georgie, and Molly outside the yurt in perfect light:

Cold temps means cold smoke:

Wild country up there

Groomer Day GoPro Pole Mount Fun At Jackson Hole - January 7-8, 2011

Originally posted on my blog, Point Of Release:

While we picked up an unexpected midweek 7" at Jackson Hole, the snow was followed by quite a bit of warming, roughing up much of the resort's off-piste in-bounds skiing. As such, I took to the groomers the past couple days to try out a few new GoPro mounts and here are my findings.

Skiing & Editing: Than Volk
    Download Music: Lights & Music – Cut Copy

A few screenshots as well:

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/print....=6862&pid=news

Lost boarder rescued

By Angus M. Thuermer Jr., Jackson Hole, Wyo.
    Date: January 10, 2011

A snowboarder lost out of bounds near Jackson Hole Mountain Resort on Friday evening tried to burn a shirt to keep warm before rescuers found him, a park official said Sunday.

Jackson Hole ski patrollers, who were helping rangers from Grand Teton National Park, found Steven Sprague, 20, of Rapid City, South Dakota, at 6:20 p.m. in the park’s Granite Canyon, adjacent to the resort. He was in good shape but unprepared to spend the night. He was helped to the trailhead by 10:30 p.m., park and resort officials said.

“It could have turned out much more serious than it was,” park spokeswoman Jackie Skaggs said Sunday. Because he was at the resort, “he didn’t have a lot of clothing on” or equipment for a bivouac, she said.

“When Mountain Resort ski patrollers got to him, he was trying to make a fire with his outer shirt,” Skaggs said. “He was stripped down to his T-shirt.”

“One of the serious parts is this happened late in the day,” Skaggs said. Temperatures that dipped to about 20 degrees could have made a night out dangerous. “He wouldn’t have had that extra warmth if he had had to spend the night,” she said of the shirt.

Officials gave the following account of Sprague’s excursion.

He and friends left the resort’s south boundary at 4:20 p.m. headed for Cody Bowl. Friends realized they were going the wrong way and shouted to Sprague, but they could not get his attention because he was wearing earphones for an iPod.

Instead of staying on the east side of Rendezvous Mountain, Sprague went west into the Granite Creek drainage in Grand Teton. The route winds around the ski area for several miles, much of it difficult to traverse on a snowboard, before emptying out in the valley.

Sprague’s friends got back to the resort and alerted ski patrollers.

Ski patrol leader Jake Elkins checked avalanche danger and sent three of his team after the missing snowboarder. Because of the steep, cliff-studded terrain, Elkins set up a command center at the top of the ski mountain to help park rangers with the rescue. Rangers began searching the canyon from the bottom up.

At approximately 5:30 p.m., the three patrollers picked up a fresh snowboard track in an area known as Targhee Woods. Soon after, they found Sprague and helped him down to the rangers, a snowmobile and the trailhead.

Resort officials used the incident to remind skiers and snowboarders of the risks involved in leaving boundaries to ski or ride areas that are not patrolled. Officials also warned about avalanches and urged backcountry travelers to use the daily Bridger-Teton National Forest Avalanche Center forecast, found online at www.jhavalanche.org.

While the search for Sprague was underway, the park got a call from two Minnesota men who said they became disoriented while snowshoeing the trails to Bradley and Taggart lakes.

Ross Trooien, 26, of White Bear Lake, Minnesota, and Gordon Mammel, 25, of Minneapolis, called and told park workers they were disoriented but near cabins, Skaggs said.

Officials told the two to go to the cabins and wait, figuring they were either at the shuttered American Alpine Club Climbers’ Ranch or seasonal employee park housing nearby. A worker was grooming a ski trail in the area and took his machine into the Climbers’ Ranch where he found the two, Skaggs said.

They got out at 7:30 p.m.

www.jhnewsandguide.com
    307-733-2047
    © 2011 Jackson Hole News&Guide

Well...
    uh.

HTML Code:
    <object width="398" height="224"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=18361206&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=0&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=00ADEF&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=18361206&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=0&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=00ADEF&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="398" height="224"></embed></object>

[ame="http://vimeo.com/18361206"]http://vimeo.com/18361206[/ame]

Sweet!!!^^^^^
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

finally some stoke to contribute around here. we hired rendezvous guides to show us around the pass. we lapped glory twice on 1/5, the day after we got hit by a surprise foot of snow. absolutely blower conditions. our guide Josh Parker was great; he taught us some snow and rescue safety, pushed us appropriately, kept us safe, and showed us some fun lines. a perfect intro to the backcountry. if you're on here josh, thanks a bunch!

[ame="http://vimeo.com/18513313"]Teton Pass 1-5-11 on Vimeo[/ame]

(from yesterday afternoon)

Still some great skiing out there this morning in the right spots!

^^^ yeah skied second turn this morning around 730 and found good snow. Seemed to be a rime crust forming higher up on Glory when we skied our second lap ~ 930.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Found a spooky upside down upper snowpack above 10K feet in the northern Tetons. 12-24 inches of denser slab on top of ~13 inches of light density snow, resting on a hard crust. Lots of settling, collapsing, but nothing moved...

Skiing below was pretty darn good though.
    "Ah, beer, my one weakness. My Achille's heel, if you will." -Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by coolstine View Post
    Found a spooky upside down upper snowpack above 10K feet in the northern Tetons. 12-24 inches of denser slab on top of ~13 inches of light density snow, resting on a hard crust. Lots of settling, collapsing, but nothing moved...

Skiing below was pretty darn good though.
    Is that Rockchuck? Or it is across the lake? I assume an Eastern aspect for the snow you were looking at?