Page 20 of 84 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    We spun a few laps in upper Cardiff this afternoon. The snow was a bit wind affected in the more exposed locations and skied much better in the trees, but was fun nonetheless. There were 6-10" wind slabs in spots in the high, north facing terrain, but they seemed to be pretty welded into place.

Happy White Friday!

Agreed

Wind slabs were common above 8,500 on the E/NE Slopes of Mineral as well, they too seemed to be welded down... Not fun to skin on though.

Who's track is this down Doom (1:30 today)?? Looked fun.
    First pic was taken roughly 1:00, second, with solo track was 1:30.

BTW

Oh yeah, homeboy is definitely the most TALENTED BACKCOUNTRY SKIER I have had the pleasure to tour with, too.

My take on talent include grace (alot of people forget to bring that in the BC), knowledge on both route-finding and snow, and strong (as a motherfucker) on both the ups and downs on the trail.

Super bummed to hear of his injury

Quote Originally Posted by TheMessenger View Post
    saying someone is a 'talented' 'backcountry skier' is like saying someone is talented at walking, because that's pretty much the only difference between that and other forms of skiing. Its silly.
    Really?

Pretty much the only difference between backcountry skiing and other forms of skiing is walking?
    Last edited by Mark H; 11-27-2010 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AltaPowderDaze View Post
    Jtrue,

hope J is doing alright and got the meds he deserved for putting up with the long extrication. that's one rocky bobsled ride and he did a great job managing the pain. tell him best wishes and feel free to share that x-ray. it's one to be proud of.
    He seemed in good spirits last night when we all saw him at the hospital. Could have been the drip though Can't thank you guys enough, definitely made a bad situation much better. First time touring with most of the party, super solid group. Unfortunately accident's happen.

The Messenger, thanks ...

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Mark H;
    Really?

Pretty much the only difference between backcountry skiing and other forms of skiing is walking?
    Nah, I was wrong. I used to think it was about good times with your friends skiing pow. But apparently its not. Backcountry skiing is a talent contest. At least in the Wasatch.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Got out yesterday with my super talented wife NE shots off tlp skied well. No instabilities noted on those aspects. S exit of davenport a little thin and snow surface starting to heat up and pinwheel upon 4 ish exit.
    strong work gettin the injured partner out of mill b tough exit for that. Had to do something similiar but no where as bad as busted femur, a few seasons. ago.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    Got out yesterday with my super talented wife NE shots off tlp skied well. No instabilities noted on those aspects. S exit of davenport a little thin and snow surface starting to heat up and pinwheel upon 4 ish exit.
    strong work gettin the injured partner out of mill b tough exit for that. Had to do something similiar but no where as bad as busted femur, a few seasons. ago.
    You and your wife are both supertalented, same with jtrue when I went with him!....Trackhead otoh - talented is not an accurate description, the guy is just a machine. Will post some observations when I get back later today.
    "JONG!!!!!" is the sound a lift tower makes when a gaper runs into it.
    -Observed at Brighton, UT

Days on snow 2007/2008 season
    Backcountry: 11
    Lift served: 11

Nah, I was wrong. I used to think it was about good times with your friends skiing pow. But apparently its not. Backcountry skiing is a talent contest. At least in the Wasatch.

Well, It would be hard to say Trackhead is a good resort skier because i don't think he's ever skied at one.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Good Lord. Nobody said it's a contest.

And there is quite a difference between touring in the pen and doing big tours in true 'backcountry'. Route finding, skinning/climbing technique, avalanche assessment, communication, and other nuances become more important. That is where backcountry skills (talent) really show up. Just because you appreciate someone's superior talent doesn't mean you're competing with them. It just inspires you to be better.
    Last edited by Mark H; 11-27-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    Well, It would be hard to say Trackhead is a good resort skier because i don't think he's ever skied at one.
    I've skied at Snowbasin with him.

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    anyone want to get out for a bit in the morning?
    Did you call Monte?

Jay is the man and I will really miss shredding with him this year! I don't care what anyone says... he is most definitely a talented skier. From the way a skinner is cut to the unique line chosen down the mountain, Jay's talent is displayed through his creative, smooth style and his charging attitude. You cannot say you're a "good skier" or not and simply handle anything. We can all put ourselves in situations to be scared shitless and sketchy summer trails can always take you down.

Jay is a good friend to many of us on here. Heal up fast man! I know you'll recover at super-human speed and come back killing it harder than ever!

Is this thread about sucking eachother's dicks and semantics, or is it about skiing, posting cool pics, and some obs?

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Is this thread about sucking eachother's dicks
    Some people have different 'talents'.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I've skied at Snowbasin with him.
    Yeah, and I bet he didn't even shred the groomers at the optimal carving angle
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Is this thread about sucking eachother's dicks and semantics, or is it about skiing, posting cool pics, and some obs?
    LOL!!! That pretty much ends the discussion right there....

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Some people have different 'talents'.
    And some people just plain suck.

and now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

rode mostly north-east facing aspects in BCC today, Snow seems to have really set up nicely. Winds were kicking up at higher elevations and small wind slabs and little cornices were starting to develop on north facing slopes.
    "JONG!!!!!" is the sound a lift tower makes when a gaper runs into it.
    -Observed at Brighton, UT

Days on snow 2007/2008 season
    Backcountry: 11
    Lift served: 11

May not make much difference with the new snow coming, but we observed a small natural along the north ridge of Little Water Peak. It looked like the cornice collapsed and pulled out a small hard slab. The wind was blowing hard from the south and it was moving a lot of snow. Snow in the main bowl went from creamy to stiff in an hour.

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    Skied north and south facing ~ 10k ft. Amazingly enough, no instabilities noted, but there is a pretty stout wind crust found about 1-2 feet down, depending on aspect. Ridges were significantly wind-scoured with less accumulation and wind loading was present on both north-facing and south-facing slopes.

Can you find climbhigh (Aaron)?
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

Almost became a statistic today, got lucky, more later.

Humble pie.

sorry to hear that derek. glad things worked out ok.

obs:
    there seemed to be stubborn windslabs up high w/o much energy and sensitive slopes w/ the sun crust underneath.