Where to eat BBQ in Kansas City?

Passing through town on business and looking to get
    some quality KC BBQ experience after work is done.

Any recommendations from those in the know?

Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on epicski or Paula's Ski Lovers, AltaNancy.

^^ Seconded... best in town. Get the burnt ends. The original location is the best, but it's in a pretty seedy area and it's definitely no frills. If you want a more upscale environment (which is kind of antithetical to BBQ, but I can understand if you want to have more of a dinner out and less of a fast food experience) I personally like Jack Stack. I'm not a fan of KC Masterpiece. Haven't done Gates yet, but it's a fast-food kind of atmosphere, so maybe not the after work experience you want. There are also a million little places, many in gas stations and such, but you'll have to talk to knowledgeable locals to find the good ones.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Oklahoma Joe's. The original restaurant location is the best, part gas station, but mostly restaurant. Here's the link:http://www.oklahomajoesbbq.com/

cool, thanks, looks like the Brooklyn Street Bryant's is the place to go this trip.
    I'll hit Oklahoma Joe's the next time in town.

Arthur Bryants(the original) is pretty fuckin good bbq. Don't even think about going around lunch or dinner unless you wanna wait at the door.

I hear Gates is supposed to be pretty damn good too,and i think its on the same street....further north.

I'm still burpin up Brisket from lunch. BBQ
    So local it hurts...

Quote Originally Posted by HotCarl View Post
    I hear Gates is supposed to be pretty damn good too,and i think its on the same street....further north.
    According to my wife, it was and we went there a few weeks ago: It has made a turn for the worst. The chopped beef was too moist and had no smokey flavor.
    The only saving grace is that their BBQ sauce recipe is online and is great. Just google "Martha Stewart Gates sauce".

mud, if you can, do the tour of Boulevard Brewery:

http://www.boulevard.com/

Nice tour and free tasters. No restaurant but their beers are all over town. Particularly liked their stout and Tank 7. Unfortunately, their double IPA wasn't available but their IPA("Single-wide")was. Didn't know that BB is one of the largest brewers of beer in the US and all their bottled beer is bottle conditioned(yeast). That shows a lot of serious attitude toward beer quality...
    "this thread is an odd combo of win and fail." -Danno

Gates or Smokestack BBQ are the best. Arthur Bryants is also good.

I lived in KC for 10 years.

And I second the recommendation to tour the Boulevard Brewery! Bully Porter is my favorite porter ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

i went to ok joes when i was passing through kc. had the same goal, being from the east coast and never having real bbq. damn good bbq. wish i could have tried arthur bryants also, but just didn't have time.
    "If you are not nervous about your passion, you are not passionate enough about it."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...tionaries3.jpg

no jack stacks or whatever?
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Our first night we ate at Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ on the Plaza(just a short walk from our accommodations at The Courtyard by Marriott). The food was good, fairly smoky. The beans there were excellent. Some local friends claim certain locations of the same chain are better than others.
    There is a Bryant's location near the Jazz Museum but we ran out of time. We also drove to Rosedale BBQ in KC, KS, and Zarda BBQ in Blue Springs(just past Independence). Rosedale was a good, inexpensive place(close to Boulevard Brewery). I thought that Zarda was the best of the trip.
    Another thing about the BB tour: They encourage reservations but allow for some walk-ins. We were in a group of ten walk-ins and we all were allowed on the tour. Very popular on the weekends...
    "this thread is an odd combo of win and fail." -Danno

Nice work getting after it. The Bryant's near the Jazz Museum is the original one - too bad you ran out of time, that place is my personal pick for best BBQ in the world (though I haven't been to Memphis). The Jack Stack I've been to is not the one you went to - I've only been to the suburban one somewhere near Overland Park - and you're right that they apparently differ, so sorry for not mentioning that. I'll have to try Zarda next time I'm there (the wife's family is from the area, and BBQ is something we can all agree on).
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Anything cool to do, see, eat in KC besides BBQ? Got 3 full days there with absolutely no itinerary. The jazz museum mentioned above sounds like it's worth a couple of hours.

Suggestions? Day/night, whatever. Hoping to make the best of a random last minute trip in a couple of weeks.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Fun and cheap to catch a Royals game if they're in town. I hear they've already been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs though.
    Power and Light District is an open-air bar scene with live music most weekends.
    Nelson Art Gallery is somewhat famous.
    Great trout fishing 3 hrs south in Branson.

OK Joes Z man. Yummmm.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Anything cool to do, see, eat in KC besides BBQ? Got 3 full days there with absolutely no itinerary. The jazz museum mentioned above sounds like it's worth a couple of hours.

Suggestions? Day/night, whatever. Hoping to make the best of a random last minute trip in a couple of weeks.
    http://www.sculpture.org/documents/p...y/kansas.shtml

Wife loved it. Some cool art in KC.

She also really liked Powell Gardens: http://www.powellgardens.org/exhibits
    Last edited by Tippster; 04-04-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Thanks, keep 'em coming. Was planning on catching a ball game. I think the twinkies are in town.

Why Are You In Kc?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Why Are You In Kc?
    I lost a bet. Yahtzee no less.

Quote Originally Posted by PowderAlltheTime View Post
    Oklahoma Joe's. The original restaurant location is the best, part gas station, but mostly restaurant. Here's the link:http://www.oklahomajoesbbq.com/
    Absolutely seconded.
    The gas station location has incredible bbq.

We waited an hour outside in 98 degree heat to eat at OK Joes once.

It was worth it. The smoke, rub and meat flavors all balanced together, its like a pork symphony.

I had a great experience at LC's BBQ. See Bourdain check it out:

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I lost a bet. Yahtzee no less.
    wow, what would you have got if you won the bet?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    wow, what would you have got if you won the bet?
    Be in any place domestically in 30 days for a long weekend.