Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I for one am psyched about this acquisition, my parents live in the area and I typically get an Attitash pass because my wife likes the groomers. If I can ski wildcat without having to buy more tickets that's nothing but good for me!!

Looks like Wildcat passholders will have to pay extra to be able to go to Attitash. The company's other passholders won't have to pay more. What a bunch of jerks. It's not like I wanted to head down to Atticrash but it would have been nice to have the option on a windy day. Bad precident

News Alert…News Alert…News Alert!
    Dear Friend of Attitash:
    Peak Resorts, Inc. is pleased to announce the acquisition of Wildcat Mountain, in Pinkham Notch, N.H. The sale is under contract and the parties expect to finalize the deal, pending the approval of the U.S. Forest Service, prior to the start of the 2010 – 2011 winter season. Wildcat becomes the 12th ski resort currently owned and operated by Peak Resorts.

With the addition of historic Wildcat to the Peak Resorts family, the company appreciably expands its presence in the region while enabling Peak Resorts to offer guests of both resorts significantly greater year round vacation options and resources. Attitash Mountain Resort and Wildcat will be offering season passes, lift tickets and even gift cards that can be used at both resorts for the 2010-11 season. The opportunity and value that these two resorts offer through their unique individual attributes include New Hampshire’s most advanced snowmaking system; over 200” of natural snowfall annually; #1 scenery; most powerful high-speed summit chairlift; long spring season; and over 150 trails and more than 535 acres of terrain variety combined. Skiers and riders visiting or living in the greater Mount Washington Valley now have a multi-mountain pass or ticket that offers value, variety and vertical to two of New Hampshire’s best resorts within an easy 15 minute drive of one another.

Joint Pass Offers Two Mountains for the Price of One!
    Although the announcement has come just before the start of the winter season, Attitash is excited to inform you that most season passes will be valid at BOTH resorts beginning this season! If you purchased a Nor’Easter, Granite, Classic, Midweek, U.S. Military or a Child Pass, it is now a joint pass that will allow you to take advantage of the best value, variety and vertical in the valley. Initially, the differences between the ticket and scanning systems at the two resorts will require Attitash season pass holders to take their pass to a Wildcat ticket window where they will receive a single lift ticket for that day (a process which is good for one ticket per day per Attitash season pass). Passes and tickets are not transferable and Terms and Conditions of use will apply. Your pass will continue to have direct slope access at Attitash.

The benefits for Attitash Mountain Resort pass holders in addition to season passes good at both resorts are improved snowmaking and grooming at Wildcat as well as a longer ski and ride season because of Wildcat’s unique elevation, natural snowfall and extended spring season.

Wildcat Mountain season pass holders will have the option to upgrade their pass to a joint pass until Tuesday, November 9th by paying the difference in cost at the time they purchased their pass. Please note however, that ski school lesson programs and other season passes are not interchangeable due to the wide differences in types of programs, pricing, staffing and sales systems.
    For those who have yet to purchase their Attitash season pass or who wish to upgrade, we will extend the Mid-season Sale prices on season passes until Tuesday, November 9th to provide those interested in the opportunity to take advantage of the incredible value of two such distinctive mountains for the price of one.

Value, Variety & Vertical Doesn’t Stop at Season Passes
    In addition to the new joint season pass, many single day and multi-day lift tickets will be good at both resorts, subject to non-transferable, lost ticket, and theft of service restrictions and requirements. This offer allows guests to ski either or both mountains on the same day! Similar to the season pass process, the holder of a qualified lift ticket to either mountain will have to surrender the original ticket in order to receive a lift ticket at the second mountain they wish to ski that day. In the future, ticketing and scanning systems will be shared between the two resorts allowing for direct-to-lift compatibility.

Finally, all Attitash Gift Cards will be valid at both resorts, enhancing your shopping options during the upcoming season, without any additional steps being required. Unfortunately, due to processing restrictions, previously issued Wildcat Gift Cards can only be redeemed at Wildcat.

There is sure to be further exciting developments and announcements to come and if you would like to keep up-to-date, sign up at attitash.com to receive our newsletter or follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Visit attitash.com today or call us at 603.374.2600 if you have any questions.

Attitash Mountain Resort is pleased to be able to provide our pass holders with all of these new, additional benefits as a result of Wildcat joining the Peak Resorts family and we look forward to seeing you take advantage of the Best Value, Variety and Vertical in the Valley this coming season.

Regards,
    Kent Graham
    Vice President
    Peak Resorts, Inc.

A Wildcat Unlimited Pass is $749. A Nor'Easter Pass is $1049 for unlimited. You're being offered an upgrade to a 2-resort unlimited pass for $300 more and complaining?

I've skied Wildcat for over 35 years. Literally grew up skiing there. Stories that my friends and I talk about from "back in the day" include several from Wildcat. The mountain isn't going to change but the facilities ARE, which is nothing but GOOD.

The mountain needs some updating, folks.

No, the Corporate jocks that run Attitash haven't done much to make friends with ANYONE in the valley ~ but they also aren't afraid to spend money on making it better.

Take a pill, haters.
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

Quote Originally Posted by EPSkis View Post
    A Wildcat Unlimited Pass is $749. A Nor'Easter Pass is $1049 for unlimited. You're being offered an upgrade to a 2-resort unlimited pass for $300 more and complaining?

I've skied Wildcat for over 35 years. Literally grew up skiing there. Stories that my friends and I talk about from "back in the day" include several from Wildcat. The mountain isn't going to change but the facilities ARE, which is nothing but GOOD.

No, the Corporate jocks that run Attitash haven't done much to make friends with ANYONE in the valley ~ but they also aren't afraid to spend money on making it better.

Take a pill, haters.
    Uh...I paid $600 for my Wildcat pass with no restrictions. That was the price at the end of last season when I bought it. That's commitment and that's what a lot of commited Cat skiers did.

Charging existing Wildcat skiers is unseemly. Most of the Wildcat passholders wouldn't head down to the Attitash highways even if it was free. So what's the point?

Seems like they don't really understand the Wildcat community very well.

Sure, updating wouldn't hurt, but changing the local relationship with Wildcat would hurt. Skyrocketing pass prices (in the future?), more traffic, more restriction...it could happen. What would you say then?

I really hope this MO company doesn't disenfranchise its core audience.

Quote Originally Posted by spaztwelve View Post
    Charging existing Wildcat skiers is unseemly. Most of the Wildcat passholders wouldn't head down to the Attitash highways even if it was free. So what's the point?
    Exactly, what IS your point? You paid $600 to ski the Cat and you still have that. And you say you wouldn't go there for free, but yet you still bitch

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    Exactly, what IS your point? You paid $600 to ski the Cat and you still have that. And you say you wouldn't go there for free, but yet you still bitch
    Well yeah...why wouldn't we be treated equally? It's a matter of principle

Besides, I never said I wouldn't ever go. I said 'most' wouldn't. How about a, 'welcome Catters! C'mon and check out Attitash this season. Check out how rad Peak is. We're gonna make you HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

or something.

IT'S MARKETING, PEOPLE!

Take a pill, haters.
    Well I have been skiing there a good 7 years longer than you and my grand parents skied there when it first opened and my mom after them.

Yeah the snow making was never very good and it seemed they did not have much of a plan of how to actually use the snow making. And you wondered if it was going to close year to year since the owners were always losing money.

Still this was a place which was so different from other ski areas around the Northeast. I didn't think Attitash could get much worse than when American Ski Company ran it, but it did when Peak Resorts out of Missouri bought it. I really don't think these people have any idea what soul is in skiing. There are not too many ski mountains left that have soul. Most have been regurgitated by corporate america into wide boulevards with a planed ski experience. I don't think the character of Wildcat fits into Peak Resorts plans.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    I don't think the character of Wildcat fits into Peak Resorts plans.
    Well when the Franchis put the HSQ base to summit in 97 it was supposed to ruin the experience, "put too many people on the trails" etc. It didn't. Everyone loved it. ASC was supposed to destroy the character of Sugarbush. It really didn't. All ye haters have had years to put together a buying group of your own, it's been up for sale openly. But you didn't. So someone else "put up" and is gonna try to make a go of it. If they gave you the option of getting your $600 back or staying, what would you do?

HEHE

Quote Originally Posted by crank54 View Post
    ^^^ Nice AZ logos on the pics, rog.
    hey dood, i didn't take care of the pics, i was just in them. i wouldn't even begin to know how to post pics.

looking forward to maybe riding my ass on a chair at sunday river this weekend. turns, turns, turns. time to go to the gym that is sunday river.

rog

For all the haters, I've got 4 Attitash seasons under my belt (see reasons above) and could definitely show you a day there on terrain that rivals anything inbounds at the Cat. That said, as a forced Attitash passholder (again see above...) I'm psyched about the situation!

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    For all the haters, I've got 4 Attitash seasons under my belt (see reasons above) and could definitely show you a day there on terrain that rivals anything inbounds at the Cat. That said, as a forced Attitash passholder (again see above...) I'm psyched about the situation!
    agreed. there IS good terrain at atticrash. i just have not skied there enough to know the woods shots or if they even have any. it certainly has some nice pitches.

this whole deal is benefiting the atticrash skiers/passholders. it is not benefiting the wildcat skiers. wildcat is going to see more traffic as all the condo owners who only skied atticrash will head up the road to the cat. the wildcat skiers will not go to atticrash...especially when they have to pay a premium to go. right now it is just bad for the wildcat passholders and good for the atticrash pass holders.

it seems that expansion of any kind at wildcat is extremely limited. i would assume that includes snowmaking. we all know how long it's been for sale and there was a reason(s) for that. it's hard to see where this is going...time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    I'm psyched about the situation!
    The Cat is going to the dogs...
    Helloooooooooo Kitty!

Personally I think this sucks donkey cocks. I have a strong dislike for the management at Attitash. I do not look forward to that culture moving into Wildcat.

I would not get my hopes up on too much of an investment in the infrastructure. There is NO REAL ESTATE at Wildcat to make any money on.

My expectation is for ticket prices to go up and a not so nice clash between the regulars who have gotten used to Wildcat the way it is and corporate from Attitash.
    Yup, this is the truth. Sad day for sure.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    Yup, this is the truth. Sad day for sure.
    Perhaps the "regulars", passholders and whoever could form a coalition maybe along the lines of F.O.T. that works with the new owners and that helps keep everyone happy instead of declaring war before the ink is dry..?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    Perhaps the "regulars", passholders and whoever could form a coalition maybe along the lines of F.O.T. that works with the new owners and that helps keep everyone happy instead of declaring war before the ink is dry..?
    Because bitching is the TGR way. Somebody does a Google search & sees that Peak's main office is based in Missouri, and bleats on about it as if that somehow disqualifies them from being able to run a ski area.

Huh?

Isn't the "soul" of a ski area defined by the people who SKI IT? Christ, people - you have a Company willing to invest money into a ski area that might well have gone the way of Mittersill & countless others in New England. Embrace it, for cryin' out loud. Same terrain, better snowmaking & better facilities.

Don't recall ever skiing for free anywhere. Maybe the talking heads here should get together, buy a big hill of their own, inject it with some magical "vibe" and "soul", so that all comers can ski free on fantastic terrain & comes with complimentary unicorn rides and handjobs.

It's going to make the place better. Wildcat was, is & has been an outdated facility for decades.
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

Don't recall ever skiing for free anywhere. Maybe the talking heads here should get together, buy a big hill of their own, inject it with some magical "vibe" and "soul", so that all comers can ski free on fantastic terrain & comes with complimentary unicorn rides and handjobs.
    hmmmmmm, let me think...

We'll call it Magic Mountain!

Good points, though. Just add nearby Storyland to the mix and then we'll be there!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Because bitching is the TGR way. Somebody does a Google search & sees that Peak's main office is based in Missouri, and bleats on about it as if that somehow disqualifies them from being able to run a ski area.

Huh?
    Unfortunately their is history here which does not come from Google, but from interacting with the people who run Attitash.

Guess you don't get the soul thing about skiing. That's cool and certainly you are in the majority.

Yes it is good that the company which bought it has deep pockets. Hopefully this will ensure Wildcat's ongoing survival. I will wait and see what changes come about and at what price.

My understanding is that the mountain is limited in how much water it can withdraw for snow making. Perhaps if they fix the continual flush urinals there will be more available.

Unfortunately their is history here which does not come from Google, but from interacting with the people who run Attitash.

Guess you don't get the soul thing about skiing. That's cool and certainly you are in the majority.

Yes it is good that the company which bought it has deep pockets. Hopefully this will ensure Wildcat's ongoing survival. I will wait and see what changes come about and at what price.

My understanding is that the mountain is limited in how much water it can withdraw for snow making. Perhaps if they fix the continual flush urinals there will be more available.
    Without getting into the finer details, I'd say I have "interaction" with some Attitash folks myself. Heh. Again, I'm not sure which negative history you're referring to: The expansion of Bear Peak & USFS partnership? The acquisition of both Mt. Snow & Crotched Mtn, which pulled 2 resorts back from the brink of disaster? The Wildcat purchase and continued partnership with the USFS?

I don't get the soul thing about skiing because I suggested that the "soul" of a given ski area comes from the people that ski it? Then please share your wisdom of "ski area soul" with the class. Perhaps you're right, and I've missed something.

Yes, we'll all just have to take the "wait and see" approach for now. Another tidbit I'd like to toss out there, since none of the 'Cat passholders seem willing to acknowledge it: An Attitash pass simply COSTS more than a Wildcat pass did. Attitash passholders have already PUT the additional money up front (ie: "Commitment"?). You're only being asked to cover the difference. Hey, you don't want it? Don't buy it.

Oh - the snowmaking: Don't know the particulars about the water situation, but considering that snowmaking is a #1 priority in a LONG list of improvements, I'd say that it's probably been covered.
    Last edited by EPSkis; 10-23-2010 at 07:48 PM.

CALL THE WHAMBULANCE!

all sorts of opinions and ideas out there, and there should be. it's what forums are for.

many folks are of the glass half full variety and other glass half empty. i'm seeing a lot of glass half empty here.

think of it this way, mildcat has been struggling financially for quite some time and has been on the brink of closure many times. with a bit of capital form a new owner, the kitty could improve snowmaking and structures and grounds. think of how great the late season would be if they could lay down more snow, add an upper mountain t-bar or double and ski till may and beyond. heck, i'd much rather lap an empty mildcat in april when tux is a total shit show. april skiing at kitty is all about big soft bumps, drinkin and babes. well skiing is always about the babes

another glass half full for passholders is the fact that on many days, the kitty stays frozen while the tash down in the valley is ripe peel away corn. on windy days, the tash can be way more pleasant than mildcat. and then theres pow days. attitash doesn't get the pow hounds like the kitty which means more freshies longer. the tash is WAY STEEPER than the kitty as well. steepest pitched trails in new hampshire if not new england on the old tash, not bear peak.

side country? the tash has terrain that rivals the whole bench area including the planets and all of the other skied out crap at stowe. only difference is that only 2 or 3 guys are getting it at the tash. it's quite the traverse, but WELL worth it.

just my half glass full .02. win/win me thinks!

stoked to lap the riv tomorrow!

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/Vid...ay/videoid/209

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    side country? the tash has terrain that rivals the whole bench area including the planets and all of the other skied out crap at stowe. only difference is that only 2 or 3 guys are getting it at the tash. it's quite the traverse, but WELL worth it.
    Dude. Think about the ramifications of saying this here..

yeah what the hell? Tash doesnt have that much, cant let the cat out of the bag.
    Live Free or Die

Am I missing something on the passes? Just went to the Attitash website and the Granite Pass (good all days at Wildcat, Attitash and Crotched) is $699 and the one with Holiday blackouts is $599. Both of which are cheaper than the Wildcat pass by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Am I missing something on the passes? Just went to the Attitash website and the Granite Pass (good all days at Wildcat, Attitash and Crotched) is $699 and the one with Holiday blackouts is $599. Both of which are cheaper than the Wildcat pass by itself.
    Yeah...this is unclear. See, I bought a Cat pass at the end of last season for $599. The Attitash 'Classic' pass is $599 on their website now. This should mean that I have access to Attitash and other mountains outside of blackout dates. What they sent around is pretty confusing. It seems to say that I would still have to upgrade.

I'm all for better services/systems at the Cat. I really hope this place will expand the boundry (The Cat has had permission for a while but never had the money). And, I welcome more snowmaking...it lasts up there forever, so the could easily create the longest season.

What I don't want is thick emotionless groomers like at Attitash. Give me a break, there's no one in the entire MWV that appreciates those unless they're teaching their kids to ski.

Yes, time will tell how this all plays out. I for one am extremely excited for the season to start. Look for the the only guy in Trew gear. That'll be me.

Yeah...this is unclear. See, I bought a Cat pass at the end of last season for $599. The Attitash 'Classic' pass is $599 on their website now. This should mean that I have access to Attitash and other mountains outside of blackout dates. What they sent around is pretty confusing. It seems to say that I would still have to upgrade.
    So you would trade your UNLIMITED Cat pass for one with 12 blackout days at both areas?

Look for the the only guy in Trew gear. That'll be me.

Not confusing. You spent $599 for an unlimited pass to Wildcat. If you want the Granite Pass (unlimited), it's $699.

Translation: It'll cost you $100. Pretty sweet deal, IMO.