10 months ACL post-op

Hey all! So I'm 10 months post-op now from my ACL recon with Doc Sanders. Saw my sports med doctor here in town today, and she took a bunch of films and says everything looks good and she's absolutely thrilled with my outcome (thanks, Doc!). She did a Lachman's and she was like... wow.... solid as a rock!

Still have some niggling aches here and there though... still have trouble walking down hills... anyone know why? A bit of ache under the kneecap when I extend fully and tighten my quad too, but I keep working on it.

The other thing she mentioned was that my left (acl) patella is a bit offline compared to the right, though she says the groove is deep and she doesn't think it's a problem (ie: it won't dislocate), but said I should work on the muscle on the inside of my thigh to get it tracking more to the medial side.... does anyone know what exercise builds up that muscle (whatever muscle that is)?

Other than that... for the most part, I don't give them much thought any more because they feel so good. I'm still in the gym 4x week, biking, a little running and I played over 50 rounds of golf this summer!

Go knees!

Adductors and VMO contribute to stabilizing the patella, thats what she is refering to. You will get better results addressing your hip abductors (glut med/min) and external rotators/ they will help minimize how much the groove internally rotates - it's alot easier to stabilize the femur than the bone inside of the patella tendon

Pain walking down hills? Of course thats a lot of stress on the knees. Knees take more than a year to fully feel "normal". I'm more than 2 years out and both my knees hurt here and there, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.

I'm almost 2 years out and have no real issues walking down hills. Played football over the summer without any issue. My knee creaks and pops but doesn't hurt.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

10 months too

I have been walking backwards on the treadmill with it angled all the way up that it will go. This definitely has helped my downhill walking strength and took care of pain. I am wondering if I am ready to ski, doc says take it easy but I don't find that easy once skis are on. A couple of weeks and I will be back on skis, it will be awesome but I am kind of nervous about screwin up my knee again. good luck on your recovery

10 months too

I have been walking backwards on the treadmill with it angled all the way up that it will go. This definitely has helped my downhill walking strength and took care of pain. A couple of weeks and I will be back on skis, it will be awesome but I am kind of nervous about screwin up my knee again. good luck on your recovery

Pain walking down hills? Of course thats a lot of stress on the knees. Knees take more than a year to fully feel "normal". I'm more than 2 years out and both my knees hurt here and there, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.

KimD, it sounds like you are making good progress and should be happy that you feel like you will be able to ski this season. I found that it wasn't until my second season back after ACL surgery that I was able to let loose skiing again.
    http://BestSkiSales.com
    Ski &Snowboard Deals

N41'25,71 W70'40,71 or my mobile ski chalet
    I assume you had a counter lateral patella auto-graft down in Houston. if so you will be 100% before you know, it sounds like your close to that now. I went back to work running a pot boat "commercial fishing" (not cannabis transportation) 6 weeks after having that procedure, great P.T. my local ortho thought i was nuts but he was not Shelborn student so i forgive him his myopic opinion. I skied full on 8 mounts later jest like new! as to the downhill walking, if your not already carry your on clubs and walk it.
    can't spell don't care.

too soon

thats very good news. im 8 months post op (acl recon allograft & meniscus repair). went skiing for the 2nd time today. my repaired leg fatigued quickly, and is sore but not swollen. i was wondering if 8 months is not enough time.

Thumbs up

Glad to here all is well Kim!! I'm 5 days post Op from my ACL revision surgery. A little more discomfort than the original but it is what it is. Looking forward to 10 months post op.
    Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    in a new feat of coolness i saw a kid on Armada fat somethings last week with Salomon 916s and Scarpa tele boots, that setup must give maximum performance...

I am 6 months exactly and I have been skiing 4 times so far, all of which have been pow days. Feels a little weird but solid. I think the best thing to strengthen for skiing is skiing, but I am taking it easy for sure.
    The commander of time

Quote Originally Posted by kmcfall View Post
    thats very good news. im 8 months post op (acl recon allograft & meniscus repair). went skiing for the 2nd time today. my repaired leg fatigued quickly, and is sore but not swollen. i was wondering if 8 months is not enough time.
    Skiing is intensive so I think this is normal. The first season back, will most likely be a finesse skiing year and you will have to ski smarter and with better technique in order not to fatigue so soon.

Keep PT/Working out as you need to get the repaired leg as strong as your un-repaired knee.

Lane
    http://BestSkiSales.com
    Ski &Snowboard Deals

Quote Originally Posted by KimD View Post
    Hey all! So I'm 10 months post-op now from my ACL recon with Doc Sanders. Saw my sports med doctor here in town today, and she took a bunch of films and says everything looks good and she's absolutely thrilled with my outcome (thanks, Doc!). She did a Lachman's and she was like... wow.... solid as a rock!

Still have some niggling aches here and there though... still have trouble walking down hills... anyone know why? A bit of ache under the kneecap when I extend fully and tighten my quad too, but I keep working on it.

The other thing she mentioned was that my left (acl) patella is a bit offline compared to the right, though she says the groove is deep and she doesn't think it's a problem (ie: it won't dislocate), but said I should work on the muscle on the inside of my thigh to get it tracking more to the medial side.... does anyone know what exercise builds up that muscle (whatever muscle that is)?

Other than that... for the most part, I don't give them much thought any more because they feel so good. I'm still in the gym 4x week, biking, a little running and I played over 50 rounds of golf this summer!

Go knees!
    KimD, i am almost post op 3 yrs with Doc Sanders. I will occasionally get a little soreness, but not much. I am almost 40 now, holy S&*! ......Its all good, congrats and good luck!
    My Shoulder Surgery Thread Click Here

My ACL Graft Choice and Surgery Thread CLick here