Page 134 of 136 FirstFirst ... 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 LastLast
Results 3,326 to 3,350 of 3387
  1. #3326
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    60
    We recently had our first real ski camping trip to White Pass and Stevens Pass WA in our Escape 17B. It worked really great in temps down to 19F. Just kept the heat on and set to 60F while while travelling, and when we are camping we set it at a very comfortable 67F. Never froze anything but of course it wasn't that cold. This one has spray-foam insulation, extra wall insulation, and frameless thermal windows. The frameless windows reduce condensation, but it still gets really moist in there after 6 days with 2 people and a Husky. I keep the roof vent open but running the fan isn't really an option because it draws in so much cold air obviously.

    The Honda Pilot tow vehicle works OK, but it's not great because of the really soft suspension. 14MPG with the skybox on, 15 without. I pretty much drive normal speeds though: 65-70 on the highway.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38714766144_1c95f85c8e_k.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	594.3 KB 
ID:	221005
    Stevens Pass RV lot ($40/night)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25561741398_4c1a8333c3_k (1).jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	221006
    White Pass RV lot (FREE!)

  2. #3327
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Co
    Posts
    776
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    Well at least you have something. What's the ideal winter camping situation looking like in that dream?
    Something vintage with a modern drivetrain, 4wd and air bags so i can drop it in the parking lot. Iíd love to build off of a Mid 30s Diamond T or and old Mack. A rat rod of campers. More realistically just a slide in for my truck though.



    An MXT would make for a fun base too but thatís more buy and less build. I probably couldnít afford the truck, never mind a camper conversion for it.



    Iím currently helping a guy convert an FMTV to a camper which would be fun in a ďdrive over anything in my way including the road closure gateĒ kinda way but not sure Iíd want to drive it too far, comfort wasnít high on the design priority list. I donít have any pics of his on my phone and we donít have the box on yet but hereís basically what we started with.

    Last edited by GPP33; 01-10-2018 at 06:26 AM.

  3. #3328
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    the medium sierra
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by B6Fischer View Post
    I just parked next to him at Targhee!
    Why did the plow guys make you move & not me? That was fucked up

  4. #3329
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sandy
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Something vintage with a modern drivetrain, 4wd and air bags so i can drop it in the parking lot. Iíd love to build off of a Mid 30s Diamond T or and old Mack. A rat rod of campers. More realistically just a slide in for my truck though.
    I think the build thread is gone, but I always lusted after this one over on pirate


  5. #3330
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    SŲlden
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Something vintage with a modern drivetrain, 4wd and air bags so i can drop it in the parking lot. Iíd love to build off of a Mid 30s Diamond T or and old Mack. A rat rod of campers. More realistically just a slide in for my truck though.

    An MXT would make for a fun base too but thatís more buy and less build. I probably couldnít afford the truck, never mind a camper conversion for it.


    Iím currently helping a guy convert an FMTV to a camper which would be fun in a ďdrive over anything in my way including the road closure gateĒ kinda way but not sure Iíd want to drive it too far, comfort wasnít high on the design priority list. I donít have any pics of his on my phone and we donít have the box on yet but hereís basically what we started with.
    I drove enough FMTV's back in the day that I know they are crude, reliable for what they are, and definitely off-road capable. Comfortable they are not, noisy they are and huge. The MTX I feel like you could do on the cheaper side with a GMC Kodiak 4500 series. Then again, shit is going to be expensive and huge no matter how you skin it.

  6. #3331
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Co
    Posts
    776
    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I think the build thread is gone, but I always lusted after this one over on pirate

    Thatís the build that got me thinking about a rat rod camper.

  7. #3332
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Co
    Posts
    776
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    I drove enough FMTV's back in the day that I know they are crude, reliable for what they are, and definitely off-road capable. Comfortable they are not, noisy they are and huge. The MTX I feel like you could do on the cheaper side with a GMC Kodiak 4500 series. Then again, shit is going to be expensive and huge no matter how you skin it.
    Yea, heís putting a shit ton of insulation in it and some really nice seats but at the end of the day itíll still be an FMTV. I just love the look and low slung stance of the MTX. Itís by far the lowest riding 4wd medium duty truck.

  8. #3333
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Land of Brine Shrimp and Magic Underwear
    Posts
    5,666
    Aright which one of you dirtbags is this?


    Seen in the 6200 S park n ride lot in Cottonwood Heights in UT. Roommate took the picture so I have no further information. Apparently lots of tape on the top LOL.

    As for cold starting the 7.3 PSD, I donít camp at snowy high altitude trailheads but at home itís never had an issue with lows in the single digits. Dfinn never had an issue getting interlodged up Little Cottonwood multiple times with his. I tend to feel good maintenance and a fuel additive go a long way toward alleviating the problem. Then we donít really get Ďrealí cold here in UT.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow... flying through the air.

  9. #3334
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    9,256
    Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Aright which one of you dirtbags is this?


    Seen in the 6200 S park n ride lot in Cottonwood Heights in UT. Roommate took the picture so I have no further information. Apparently lots of tape on the top LOL.

    As for cold starting the 7.3 PSD, I donít camp at snowy high altitude trailheads but at home itís never had an issue with lows in the single digits. Dfinn never had an issue getting interlodged up Little Cottonwood multiple times with his. I tend to feel good maintenance and a fuel additive go a long way toward alleviating the problem. Then we donít really get Ďrealí cold here in UT.
    Constantly parked at the Smith's/24 hour fitness in Sandy on 1300e and sego lilly. Saw it just yesterday. I chuckle everytime I see it.

    Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  10. #3335
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    530


    Killing the game!

    #SedanLife

    Paging DD

  11. #3336
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    14,294
    ^^^ When you're going for Mystery Machine, but only have a mid-90s Accord as your platform.

    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  12. #3337
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kinda halfway twixt NH & CO
    Posts
    592
    2000 9-5 with snows, a winter bag and some grub. It's kind of stealthy because it's not exactly a typical "camper"

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180112_155424.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	221228

  13. #3338
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,075
    Damn son. You sleeping in that box? Props

  14. #3339
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    85
    I got 2000 9-3. I definitely have slept in it, but the floor is not flat and I had hard time making it comfortable.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  15. #3340
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kinda halfway twixt NH & CO
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    I got 2000 9-3. I definitely have slept in it, but the floor is not flat and I had hard time making it comfortable.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I did level the surface but a wagon would work better and either way it only fits one. Comfort is relative. I've used it sparingly in camper mode, not more than two consecutive nights...yet.

  16. #3341
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    utah
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    The Honda Pilot tow vehicle works OK, but it's not great because of the really soft suspension. 14MPG with the skybox on, 15 without. I pretty much drive normal speeds though: 65-70 on the highway.

    I have an 06 Pilot and tow an RPOD. I put in the rear air bags (Firestone one's maybe ~$100). It was a pretty easy install and made a world of difference on the rear suspension. Do it.

  17. #3342
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    I have an 06 Pilot and tow an RPOD. I put in the rear air bags (Firestone one's maybe ~$100). It was a pretty easy install and made a world of difference on the rear suspension. Do it.
    Hmm ... good to know. I have never heard of putting airbags on a Pilot. That is probably the last trip with the Pilot though. Our new tow vehicle is a Colorado ZR2 Duramax. With front and rear locking diffs I don't think I would have had any issues!

  18. #3343
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,113
    Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    With front and rear locking diffs I don't think I would have had any issues!
    What does that have to do with anything? Please enlighten.
    "Dumping on Breck right now. Could be big if it doesn't stop." - fastfred
    "It has snowed, therefore Vail Pass is closed." - Kevo
    "This storm was a bust for most areas and the next two weeks doesnít look good." - WTF is dat
    "Gratz is saying pattern change Dec 20. Today's the 6th so.... two weeks." - Bean
    "Almost no snow so far, the Sunday/Monday storm looks like a dud, and a giant ridge is expected over the entire western half of the country for the next couple weeks. If the current forecast holds, we're looking at the lowest snowpack in at least the last 30 years according to today's Wasatch Weather Weenies post." - frosted flakes

  19. #3344
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Couloirfornia
    Posts
    8,239
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    What does that have to do with anything? Please enlighten.
    x2. You're gonna be locking both diffs (or just one) while towing an Escape 17?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

  20. #3345
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    W/ Oz, Craig, McConkey
    Posts
    357
    Probably got to have rear locked to engage front locker: Thats the way most oem lockers function.

  21. #3346
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    What does that have to do with anything? Please enlighten.
    Not sure I understand why you say that, but with just the rear locking diff engaged in the ZR2, I would have had power to 3 wheels which would have been enough to get me through the deep chewed-up snow. Locking the front is for rock crawling and I would not have done that because it probably would have just gone sideways doing that.

    Note that locking diffs in snow often results in the vehicle going sideways on the locked axle, but with the trailer on the back I think it would have resisted that nicely.

    Locking diffs on ice is not recommended, but it is beneficial in deep snow.

  22. #3347
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Eburg
    Posts
    11,351
    Got home last night from a 3200 mile trip (8 nights in camper) in our Tundra 5.7L/FWC Hawk/DIY wind fairing rig. Despite cold dense air, some windy conditions and lots of snow/ice-covered roads, we got 13.6 MPG using MPG enhancement techniques, e.g., driving speed limit or slower, some two lane roads w/lower speed limits, coasting into speed zones and to stops, gradual acceleration, ethanol-free fuel when available, etc. Using the same techniques, we can get 15MPG on long highway trips in summer, sometimes a bit better or worse. OTOH, our MPG numbers are in the 12s (winter) or 13s (summer) when in a hurry and not using MPG enhancement techniques.

  23. #3348
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Der Town
    Posts
    4,606
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    Got home last night from a 3200 mile trip (8 nights in camper) in our Tundra 5.7L/FWC Hawk/DIY wind fairing rig. Despite cold dense air, some windy conditions and lots of snow/ice-covered roads, we got 13.6 MPG using MPG enhancement techniques, e.g., driving speed limit or slower, some two lane roads w/lower speed limits, coasting into speed zones and to stops, gradual acceleration, ethanol-free fuel when available, etc. Using the same techniques, we can get 15MPG on long highway trips in summer, sometimes a bit better or worse. OTOH, our MPG numbers are in the 12s (winter) or 13s (summer) when in a hurry and not using MPG enhancement techniques.
    Hmm, I got 13 mpg in my Chevy 2500 with a 2500lb Bigfoot camper with my foot mashed to the floor.

  24. #3349
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    reiter hills 98251
    Posts
    149
    I have radomax envy now...

    I had a 96 zr2, bought new in Detroit. I finally junked it last year. Least capable off road vehicle ever... I read an in depth review of the new zr2. Sounds like they made amends big time.

    Stock rear and front difs?!? I'll take please.
    Sticker price? Second mortgage..

    My zr2 had 500k+ miles, second engine. Completely gutted, with a built 3.8.. headers, 4 brl Holley, mad distributor..etc..it was pretty fun to drive, and ripped Forrest roads like a prerunner.. rust was it's ultimate demise..

    Took that truck cross.country many times. I'd say I slept in about 25 different ski hill lots with that thing.

  25. #3350
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Co
    Posts
    776
    Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    Not sure I understand why you say that, but with just the rear locking diff engaged in the ZR2, I would have had power to 3 wheels which would have been enough to get me through the deep chewed-up snow. Locking the front is for rock crawling and I would not have done that because it probably would have just gone sideways doing that.

    Note that locking diffs in snow often results in the vehicle going sideways on the locked axle, but with the trailer on the back I think it would have resisted that nicely.

    Locking diffs on ice is not recommended, but it is beneficial in deep snow.
    Locking the front diff on ice or snow means you go straight, locking the rear diff means you go sideways (which would suck with a trailer but otherwise can be fun). Driving on a snowy roads with either locked is a bad plan, using one or both to get out of a sticky situation is fine and what theyíll come in handy for.

    Iíve heard good thing about that platform, good choice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •