Page 124 of 509 FirstFirst ... 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,100 of 12713
    So many fun things to do in that canyon! Great off shoots to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparwood Dave View Post
    1) A 'real' RV (not homemade) will usually come with a real RV furnace that draws air from the outside, combines it with propane to burn in a combustion chamber and expels the exhaust to the outside. A fan blows over the hot combustion chamber, heating the fresh interior air and directs it to vents inside the RV. This system requires electricity for the fan and propane. No combustion byproducts enter the RV and no condensation is produced inside the RV.
    I have seen several baller (home) builds that have utilized both furnaces (forced air) and boilers (hydronic).
    These are not always propane however, some run on diesel.

Webasto and Espar brand units have a great reputation and are also used in commercial trucks, and ocean class marine applications.

Quote Originally Posted by stayalert View Post
    Lot to learn in a short time....Recently bought a '97 ford EB350 quiggley sportsmobile....Taking a skibatical this Winter from work....The (lack of) plan so far is wife and I starting at Christmas in Crested Butte and going from there...eventually heading to BC/powder highway.....
    We'll be doing similar in our Chinook RV driving west from VA then skiing every day on MaxPass. Our penciled in plan is, starting CB or Monarch Jan 4, will be at Abasin tailgating Jan6 , I fly east Jan 10 from DEN. My son continues thru UT, WY and meets me in Kalispell Jan31. We plan Whitefish, Fernie, Kicking Horse, Whitewater, Schweitzer, Big Sky, and Bridger. Drive back Feb 9-10. Of course, conditions rule and we will storm chase. If you are around or anyone, lets hookup at ABasin or north...

Anyone give me a good reason why I should go gas vs diesel with a 3/4/1ton truck. I've had both. But, in the future I plan on building out a dedicated truck camper solely for mountain voyages. I'm just torn really. The truck will be a 3/4 ton or 1 ton ext cab w/ a flat bed + airbags in the rear. Pop-up camper/Alaskan, will be pulling a trailer with sleds/dirtbikes and/or hitch mounted dirtbikes. I figure maximum load including tow weight would be 6-8k depending on load.
    Why I want a diesel:
    MPG
    Low-end torque reduces strain/RPM's on mountain passes
    No engine rebuilds until 300k+ usually if maintained
    Problems:
    Initial cost is more
    Diesel gel'ing up after a few days of serious cold(think BC or Alaska trip in there)
    Cost to repair is more expensive
    Harder to start/stay warm in zero degree temps etc.
    Why I want a petrol truck: V10/6.8/7.4/460 etc.
    Cheaper initial cost
    Cheaper repair costs
    Easier to start
    Doesn't gel like diesel
    Why I don't want a petrol truck:
    MPG's will be horrendous
    Strain/RPM's on mountain passes
    Just doesn't tow as good as a modern diesel

Anything I'm not thinking of here?

^^^ I think you've pretty much got it. Some comments:

Diesel truck purchase price will be significantly higher than gas, whether used or new (assuming looking at equivalent miles on used trucks). Factor that into your anticipated mileage difference too. For example, a $10K gas truck (12 mpg) vs. a $20K diesel truck (18 mpg): for that extra 6 mpg, how much more gas can you buy for $10K?

Diesel maintenance is higher: more motor oil, more expensive smog checks (if applicable). You've owned diesel and gas trucks, so you know the cost differences.

Diesel longevity and towing/hauling capability is superior to gas. Your intended usage will determine whether this pencils out in your situation. Are you going to drive it 30K a year, hauling a camper + towing a trailer the whole time? If so, lean towards diesel.

While a diesel motor will last a long time, the rest of the truck is more-or-less the same: body, suspension, interior. While a diesel motor may still run well at 500K miles, the rest of the truck might not be in such good shape by that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I debated all of this when scouting our Chinook purchase. If a 7.3L had been available, I would have jumped all over it but I'm glad one wasn't. My V10 has plenty of torque for mountain driving and a week of -10F days and -20F nights sealed the deal. Instant morning starts were no problem the whole week. From what I understand, the fuel difference is 3-4 MPG not 8.

There were problems with the early (1997-2002) V10 heads where the plug threads were too short. Go with a 2003 or newer or even better a 2005 with the 3-valve head.

In British Columbia at truck stops on the coast near Vancouver they sell summer diesel for truckers heading south to California and winter diesel for trips to the north. You can also purchase ant-gelling additive and an additive that melts already gelled fuel.

With today's diesels you also have to add Def fluid as part of the anti-pollution regime.

I would recommend an older diesel like my 1991 Dodge Cummins turbodiesel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Video 3 0 00 04-06.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	214955

I recently had my power steering pump fail while in a small town. The mechanic told me that if this was a newer diesel the truck would not be drive-able and I would have to wait for a new pump to be delivered the next day. Instead I drove my '91 to a city 100 miles away with no problems.
    Last edited by DanoT; 10-31-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Doubt you will find any non-winter diesel north of Hope by now.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    In British Columbia at truck stops on the coast near Vancouver they sell summer diesel for truckers heading south to California and winter diesel for trips to the north. You can also purchase ant-gelling additive and an additive that melts already gelled fuel.

With today's diesels you also have to add Def fluid as part of the anti-pollution regime.

I would recommend an older diesel like my 1991 Dodge Cummins turbodiesel.
    Attachment 214930

I recently had my power steering pump fail while in a small town. The mechanic told me that if this was a newer diesel the truck would not be drive-able and I would have to wait for a new pump to be delivered the next day. Instead I drove my '91 to a city 100 miles away with no problems.
    Funny you mention the older diesel and ease of parts. Let's not forget the A518/12 Valve W250 issues with trying to get a speedometer/OD to work. TPS issues, Crank sensor issues, coolant sensor etc. The Variable Speed Sensor(VSS) which isn't even made anymore, and you have to a custom gear worm made for it.
    I had a 91.5 Dodge W-250 12 valve...with 328k miles on it when I sold it. It was my daily driver but I was so sick of replacing a part every week on the truck just to keep it reliable. I'm looking at either newer body style 12 valve with NV series tranny(stick), 24 valve, 7.3 Ford, or EGR delete/head studded 6.0 if I go diesel route.
    At the end of the day, It'll probably come down to what kind of deal I find with a flat bed on either a gasser or diesel.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151218_122531195.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	810.3 KB 
ID:	214956

I have owned my 91.5 Dodge with 5spd manual since new with no engine problems but it does eat voltage regulators due to grounding issues, but I think I may have solved the problem by putting dielectric grease on the ground connections.

Put my camper up on Craigslist if anyone in the Tahoe area is interested...

reno.craigslist.org/rvs/d/slide-in-pop-up-cabover-camper/6372778405.html

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post

Definitely a palomino. We had one almost identical. Loved it to death.

How'd you find these in the winter?
    Could you comfortably spend 3 nights in one mid winter, without a lodge to retreat to if you had to?

I see these around a lot, but never thought they would be any good for winter stuff.

2001 GMC Savanna 2500 4x4 Van at Government auction. Looks ready for easy conversion. Says rough but but when you read Q/A at bottom clears that up some. Genset being sold separately.

Auction closes 11/9/17. Located South Carolina.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...87&acctid=4524

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    How'd you find these in the winter?
    Could you comfortably spend 3 nights in one mid winter, without a lodge to retreat to if you had to?

I see these around a lot, but never thought they would be any good for winter stuff.
    Well, if you were hooked up to a power supply, or had a generator to charge your battery every once in a while, it'd be super comfortable. The propane heater inside is super efficient at warming it up. If you were real serious about it, I supposed you could insulate the canvas after it was popped up and that would help a lot.

I just got back from using it for two straight weeks. It snowed, rained, was cold outside, etc. I was comfortable. I would want to live out of it for a full winter, but for a few days/weeks in a row it is comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by pajamas View Post
    Definitely a palomino. We had one almost identical. Loved it to death.
    Nice! Do you have any guess on what model? I'm trying to figure out the listed weight, but have no idea...

Well, if you were hooked up to a power supply, or had a generator to charge your battery every once in a while, it'd be super comfortable. The propane heater inside is super efficient at warming it up. If you were real serious about it, I supposed you could insulate the canvas after it was popped up and that would help a lot.

I just got back from using it for two straight weeks. It snowed, rained, was cold outside, etc. I was comfortable. I would want to live out of it for a full winter, but for a few days/weeks in a row it is comfortable.
    Cool. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    Anyone give me a good reason why I should go gas vs diesel with a 3/4/1ton truck. I've had both. But, in the future I plan on building out a dedicated truck camper solely for mountain voyages. I'm just torn really. The truck will be a 3/4 ton or 1 ton ext cab w/ a flat bed + airbags in the rear. Pop-up camper/Alaskan, will be pulling a trailer with sleds/dirtbikes and/or hitch mounted dirtbikes. I figure maximum load including tow weight would be 6-8k depending on load.
    Why I want a diesel:
    MPG
    Low-end torque reduces strain/RPM's on mountain passes
    No engine rebuilds until 300k+ usually if maintained
    Problems:
    Initial cost is more
    Diesel gel'ing up after a few days of serious cold(think BC or Alaska trip in there)
    Cost to repair is more expensive
    Harder to start/stay warm in zero degree temps etc.
    Why I want a petrol truck: V10/6.8/7.4/460 etc.
    Cheaper initial cost
    Cheaper repair costs
    Easier to start
    Doesn't gel like diesel
    Why I don't want a petrol truck:
    MPG's will be horrendous
    Strain/RPM's on mountain passes
    Just doesn't tow as good as a modern diesel

Anything I'm not thinking of here?
    I've only had trouble starting my CTD in the cold once. That said, if using it for camping in the winter you'll probably run into longer stretches of cold weather than I have on the Co front range. Look into a diesel powered engine block/fuel line heater.

As for diesels lasting longer than gas engines. Sure, they'll easily last a half million miles, the thing is you'll spend enough in maintenance to buy 3 gas engines before you get there. I put new injectors in my CTD last year, $3k in parts alone. None of the diesels are immune, they all have something....except for maybe the older mechanical ones but then you have an old uncomfortable rig with shit for power.

Diesel will get you increased MPG but do the math on how many miles you'll need to drive to make up the difference in purchase price. It'll probably be somewhere around 100,000 miles, more if you run it without much of a load.

As for better performance with a load, do the match on how much time you are really going to save going a little faster up the hills. 65 vs 45 up a 10 mile long pass will be a 7 minute difference, not much and most passes are shorter than that.

I absolutely love my diesel and wouldn't change it for the world. It however has been a terrible financial investment. Unless you tow more than 10k lbs regularly the numbers favor a gas engine. If however you care more about the enjoyment of driving than how much it cost you to get there (and can find a solution for gelling fuel) I'd recemond an oil burner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tiger 3.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	215362

the kids are psyched!

Tiger, nice!

Paint job says Safari as well

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    I've only had trouble starting my CTD in the cold once. That said, if using it for camping in the winter you'll probably run into longer stretches of cold weather than I have on the Co front range. Look into a diesel powered engine block/fuel line heater.

As for diesels lasting longer than gas engines. Sure, they'll easily last a half million miles, the thing is you'll spend enough in maintenance to buy 3 gas engines before you get there. I put new injectors in my CTD last year, $3k in parts alone. None of the diesels are immune, they all have something....except for maybe the older mechanical ones but then you have an old uncomfortable rig with shit for power.

Diesel will get you increased MPG but do the math on how many miles you'll need to drive to make up the difference in purchase price. It'll probably be somewhere around 100,000 miles, more if you run it without much of a load.

As for better performance with a load, do the match on how much time you are really going to save going a little faster up the hills. 65 vs 45 up a 10 mile long pass will be a 7 minute difference, not much and most passes are shorter than that.

I absolutely love my diesel and wouldn't change it for the world. It however has been a terrible financial investment. Unless you tow more than 10k lbs regularly the numbers favor a gas engine. If however you care more about the enjoyment of driving than how much it cost you to get there (and can find a solution for gelling fuel) I'd recemond an oil burner.
    This is much appreciated. After doing some research, and budgeting, it looks like gas is the way to go for me. I think I have somewhat settled on the Ford F250/350 2010-2014ish with the 6.2 gas seems to be a solid truck right now.

Cosmic - I bet they are! Your family will enjoy. Nice Safari.

Buddy of mine in Omaha, selling his MTB van. Guy is highly OCD about maintenance. Seems like a good deal for a mag, but I have no idea on vans.

https://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/d/0...378092793.html

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Name:  IMG_20171003_081438_946.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  124.5 KB
    Can't wait to use it this winter.

https://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/d/...380177848.html

This would be a cool rig to have. The price is high for what it is..and the 5mpg isn't going to be pretty with only a 25 gallon tank on there. Definitely would get cool guy points though.