Page 23 of 510 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Last winter while sleeping in my truck camper in a forestry parking lot on Swan road between Breckenridge and Keystone, I was awakened in the middle of a cold night by a deputy sheriff informing me that there was no overnight parking. But he then said " you look to have a comfortable set up so you might as well stay the night".
    On the same trip I was told my someone in customer service at Home Depot in Avon, near Vail, that if you ask the store manager the official policy is no overnight parking, but if you just park there no one will say anything.

With RV camping/parking, sometimes it is better to apologize after the fact than ask first.
    Maybe.
    But I dont like the 2am flashlight.
    I once asked at a Costco,and they at first said no,but after I explained Walmarts policy,they said yes.

For a place like Home Depot ,I always put a few of their bags in the window to show I am a customer. It doesnt hurt.
    picador

Quote Originally Posted by jon gaper View Post
    But I dont like the 2am flashlight.
    Ditto. 60 days of boon docking in the PNW and no problem. First night back on the east coast and I get the two o'clock knock. Of course, they don't take too kindly to rubber tramps down there in Weekapaug...

Probably lousy in cold weather but I saw this Sprinter conversion parked across the street from my office and had to take a photo of it. Too cool...

That sprinter is hot!

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    What did you have to fix for $2500?
    All 4 brakes and rotors, water pump gasket, catalytic converter, all filters, most belts, hoses, etc. I looks like it had been sitting a wile. All the rubber was dry and cracked. bunch of other small crap. light bulbs, wiper blades, head lamps. Didn't need to replace it all but I had money from selling my other car so I took care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by FJ62 View Post
    Probably lousy in cold weather but I saw this Sprinter conversion parked across the street from my office and had to take a photo of it. Too cool...

I am sure that Sprinter flatbed/canned ham was built in a backyard in Santa Barbara.The metal work was well done.He started out asking 60k which was way high for a 12k flatbed and a 4k canned ham.He was selling because he had just finished a Sprinter/Bambi combo.

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Quote Originally Posted by haydukelives View Post
    canned ham
    That's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    That's funny.
    you just have not seen canned ham:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...w=1280&bih=657

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Last winter while sleeping in my truck camper in a forestry parking lot on Swan road between Breckenridge and Keystone, I was awakened in the middle of a cold night by a deputy sheriff informing me that there was no overnight parking. But he then said " you look to have a comfortable set up so you might as well stay the night".
    On the same trip I was told my someone in customer service at Home Depot in Avon, near Vail, that if you ask the store manager the official policy is no overnight parking, but if you just park there no one will say anything.

With RV camping/parking, sometimes it is better to apologize after the fact than ask first.
    True true. Don't want a ticket mind you... The official response from SV
    Thanks for your inquiry.Unfortunately with our agreement with the National Park, Parks Canada does not permit any overnight camping on our lease hold and have asked us to post signs to that fact.When we have people ask, we direct them to Tunnel Mountain Campground in Banff which is open year round. Parks routinely patrol our lots as well as the other ski resorts and will ask vehicles to move or issue tickets to those overnight camping.I am seeing more and more RV’s each season and will always do our best to find a parking spot. One thing that is strongly suggested is that if you are coming in an RV that you arrive early, especially on weekends as our lots fill quickly!

So I may give it a shot depending on the tunnel mountain stuff.... Kind of doubt they will be out at 2 am to look for campers.... So if you show up at the right time you may go undetected.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Reuben View Post
    You guys think I could get a functioning mobile-abode for 1-3,000$?

Not sure if I can get an RV that will run all winter without major mechanical work in that price range. It doesn't have to last forever, just this winter with me driving ~500km's between resorts between 2-5 times all winter.

Also not sure how I would keep the thing heated...something like a dickinson diesel or propane heater sounds perfect for me but on the site theyre running for over 1000$, which might push me over budget. Is it worth spending that much of my budget on just the heater?

For power I'm thinking a couple of golf cart batteries? Big draws would be a fridge (really want a fridge) and some cooking appliances like a micro maybe a toaster oven. I'm willing to rough it in basically every category except food.

Any ideas? My jongery in the RV world is immense, I'm not sure I could pull a project like this off with my dirtbag level finances.
    Hey, you're in AB or BC aren't you? You should buy my camper van. Probably going to try and sell it for about $2,500.

1989 GMC Vandura 2500 about 240,000 km. Summers and winter tires on separate rims.

Electric fridge, three-burner propane stove with oven, forced-air propane furnace, two deep cycle batteries, solar panels, sink and water tank, obviously for summer only.

You don't really need a fridge for winter, just use a Coleman cooler and add snow as needed.

Up at Bear Lake for six days. Screwing around with the Samurai. Seems to be holding up well and should go just about anywhere I want. Maybe next year I can get a rear locker.

Small campers squeeze in tight spots.

Put some air lift suspension on the rear axle to help out with future loads. Took some tweaking, but they are working well now.

awesome, been fun watching it come to fruition and now a trip. box on my yota is pretty much done. you should design one for yotas and go in business. might be the perfect demographic

Quote Originally Posted by edmoloco View Post
    All 4 brakes and rotors, water pump gasket, catalytic converter, all filters, most belts, hoses, etc. I looks like it had been sitting a wile. All the rubber was dry and cracked. bunch of other small crap. light bulbs, wiper blades, head lamps. Didn't need to replace it all but I had money from selling my other car so I took care of it.
    Ooch. That's the nickel-and-dime stuff that will get you every time.

I emailed this guy a few months ago if he'd consider a realistic offer and he never got back to me.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    awesome, been fun watching it come to fruition and now a trip. box on my yota is pretty much done. you should design one for yotas and go in business. might be the perfect demographic
    Working with fiberglass is nasty nasty stuff.

Nice TR there Trackhead! Last night was the first night below zero! (32 for you F-ers ) Soon the white stuff will fly, and we will ski like the Gods!
    I eat, I sleep, I ski.

I am sleeping 25 ft. from Dakine's door & just down from Full Sail! Wow!
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Went out to the Ruby Mountains in NV this weekend.

Some interesting stuff in the parking lot at the Island Lake/ Liberty Pass trailhead. The one that looks like an ambulance conversion is -- I talked to the owner briefly; he said he hasn't done anything with the inside yet, and the outside paint job is Krylon spray can. He said it has the 6.5L diesel motor, was 4WD when he bought it, weighs 10,000 lbs completely empty, and is pretty slow going up hills.

And some quality parking near the Star in Elko for us:

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

What does the inside of that Samurai look like? That looks like quite the contraption.

Shadow Cruiser/Sky Cruiser?

I'm drooling for some kind of ski rv for the work'in man. I have a 2000 Tundra and have been looking at four wheel campers, halmarks, and most recently, the mid 90s Shadow Cruiser/Sky Cruiser-a hard-sided semi-compact slide-in truck camper. I've read they weigh in around 1,300 lbs-not bad for a hard side.

Anyone out there know anything about these units?

Anyone happen to see the Travel Channel's program on extreme RV's? Some truly goofy shit, but a could of rigs that you'd kill to have for a ski ride.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Here's an interesting 4WD van/RV conversion for sale on ExPo:
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...RHOME-Complete
    Superbadass! Seems like a hell of a deal. Mileage would hurt but split four ways.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I am working on putting together the cash so that I can spend a winter on the road sometime in the next few years.

Thinking about an Astro/Safari awd vs slide in truck camper. Thoughts?

Just for fun: http://members.cox.net/hooper/van.html
    This Van is haunting my dreams. Seems more my speed, perfect for a stealthy conversion, wonder what kinda mileage that thing pulls.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Home sweet home.

Last edited by AHeppner; 02-26-2019 at 04:14 PM.

^^^NICE!

This looks like a good deal, lots done to it already. Still run into the mileage issue but plenty good for towing and cargo.

Wish I was ready to sell my Tundra and make a move on something like this. Would have to buy a small, fuel efficient daily driver to complement it though.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air