Page 22 of 510 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    The blackout makes your rig look fantastic. You are going to want to watch our for tree branches! You've got yourself a very sharp looking rig. Nice job

Thanks Lefty. I think the astro is the best bet, and you can find them for $2-4k. Any more info you have would help.

Took a look at your post in the "Sleeping in the car in the winter" thread here: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...t=#post2868949
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Very nice ^^^^^ Beauty picture and beauty rig.

I asked this on another camping thread but I'm wondering if people know about camping in the Sunshine Village parking lot? They ok with it? Anywhere else in Banff area?

1985 18' Sunrader with factory 4x4, hard to find, I got lucky on CL
    22R with 5 speed stick and 1 ton dually rear.
    Slow as fuck on the passes (she's been recently named "Pokey") but it gets there.
    Thinking about an engine swap, the slowness and lack of AC makes the girl crazy in summer.
    Me, I don't mind sweatin it out in 90 degree heat at 15 mph, it's all part of the adventure!
    Anyone know an outfit that builds custom wheels?? one of my duals is shot and it is impossible to find a replacement as they are custom made 15s to match the front and most toy duallys are 14s...
    Stockton wheel is defunct and I can't find anyone else.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunrader engine.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	100707   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunrader interior.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	100708  

Quote Originally Posted by natty dread View Post
    Slow as fuck on the passes (she's been recently named "Pokey") but it gets there.
    Who cares how slow it is. My Samurai does 60-65mph pretty easy, but no faster. Slow up hills, but speed isn't the point. Your rig is kick ass.

2,450lbs on the scales. Pretty damn light, and I think some Tatou tracks might get on this thing soon enough, for my winter snowcat.

Anyone know an outfit that builds custom wheels?? one of my duals is shot and it is impossible to find a replacement as they are custom made 15s to match the front and most toy duallys are 14s...
    Might try Rickson Wheel:
    http://www.ricksontruckwheels.com/

They have a good rep in the RV crowd for 19.5" truck wheels. If they don't build 15" wheels, they might be able to point you in the right direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Hoping to eventually do this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hn8d-KKRQY

Camping in the Park is only allowed at designated camp sites. There is an overflow site near Lake Louise that I 'think' is open in the winter, otherwise you have to camp at Tunnel mountain near Banff.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Who cares how slow it is. My Samurai does 60-65mph pretty easy, but no faster. Slow up hills, but speed isn't the point. Your rig is kick ass.

2,450lbs on the scales. Pretty damn light
    I don't care--wife gets a little annoyed when a 9 hour trip takes 14 hours, but she'll deal. It's actually fine on the flats, 70-75 mph in no prob. Passes, especially loaded and towing a 1000 lb trailer, are interesting...
    Love to swap a small diesel, but few options for a minitruck and $$$. Hopefully the 22R will remain as rock solid as its reputation. It should with the new head gasket, valve job, and timing chain I just put in.
    Shit my rig is probably triple your samurai's weight. Sweet ride, I would have saved a lot of ducats if I had the time and skills to do the work meself.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Might try Rickson Wheel:
    Nice find! Thx.

I don't care--wife gets a little annoyed when a 9 hour trip takes 14 hours, but she'll deal. It's actually fine on the flats, 70-75 mph in no prob. Passes, especially loaded and towing a 1000 lb trailer, are interesting...
    My 23' V10 motorhome probably wasn't much faster than your 22RE.

But yeah, a diesel would be awesome. A friend of mine used to specialize in diesel Toyota conversions. If you want his contact info, drop me a line. He could steer you in the right direction.

1985 18' Sunrader with factory 4x4, hard to find, I got lucky on CL.
    They only made about 25 of those, serious collector's item. What did it set you back? In good condition it would probably go $20k on eBay.

Make sure you have the real FF rear axle, not the dually semi-floater.

Here is a pic of my "dirt bag" van out on the coast

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010747.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	419.6 KB 
ID:	100722

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    They only made about 25 of those, serious collector's item. What did it set you back? In good condition it would probably go $20k on eBay.

Make sure you have the real FF rear axle, not the dually semi-floater.
    Recently sold at 18600: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....d=269162282427

There's one for sale near Grass Valley, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edmoloco View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010747.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	419.6 KB 
ID:	100722

Digging the all-trac "Pervia"! I get serious van-envy when I see those things and have been quietly shopping for one for the past few years. What sort of mileage do you get? Any issues?
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

I got it back in April and haven't kept track of the mileage, but Id guess in the low 20's. It had 103k miles on it when I got it. I paid $3500 and dumped another $2500 into it, so its not the bargain I was hoping for, but now its a solid running van. Kids love it and its a cargo van, people hauler, camper, what ever. The seating configuration is genius, if you can find one in descent shape you cant go wrong.

http://www.customcommercialwheel.com/
    A friend tells me:
    This place is the one for custom Toyota duallies. They'll know exactly what he's talking about and already have the off set measurements and everything to make them.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Camping in the Park is only allowed at designated camp sites. There is an overflow site near Lake Louise that I 'think' is open in the winter, otherwise you have to camp at Tunnel mountain near Banff.
    Gotcha, and this makes sense. I have seen people stay overnight at the SV parking lot... I am going to ask SV and see what the official position is on this...

Thanks

Chup, philth and other TC owners, lets see some pictures! I joined the TC family this summer as well. We got a 2006 Northstar 850SC. I really wanted the outfitter apex (full winterized, slide out bunk option over the dinette) but used and close to me were very rare. Happy so far with the Northstar but am going to have to do some insulating to keep it livable this winter. Our maiden trip was a quick camp out north of Truckee then to Alpine for some 4th of July turns:

Oldest son crashing:

Even the dog has a place to sleep!

And of course it is all for the skiing right! Little rippers!

"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

Quote Originally Posted by kona12 View Post
    Chup, philth and other TC owners, lets see some pictures! I joined the TC family this summer as well. We got a 2006 Northstar 850SC.
    About the only pic I have handy is the one I posted on p. 16 of this thread:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...57#post3331457

I really like the Northstar TC800 that we got. I'm surprised to see that 850SC on a Tundra -- seems quite heavy for that truck. I considered the 850SC, but decided that I wanted the camper body to fit entirely within the truck bed and not hang over the rear bumper; also, we didn't want an inside shower or toilet.

I'll post some more pics after the weekend. We're heading out to the Ruby Mountains this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    About the only pic I have handy is the one I posted on p. 16 of this thread:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...57#post3331457

I really like the Northstar TC800 that we got. I'm surprised to see that 850SC on a Tundra -- seems quite heavy for that truck. I considered the 850SC, but decided that I wanted the camper body to fit entirely within the truck bed and not hang over the rear bumper; also, we didn't want an inside shower or toilet.

I'll post some more pics after the weekend. We're heading out to the Ruby Mountains this weekend.
    Id agree...that fucker looks WAY TOO BIG for that truck its on...long as it works thats all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Id agree...that fucker looks WAY TOO BIG for that truck its on...long as it works thats all that matters.
    Ya, I am a weeee bit over my weight rating. Calculated gamble until I can get something with better ratings. Some spring and brake mods have help to offset it a little. So far so good though. We have been all up and down the Sierra and coast this summer and I really have only had to take it easy on some of the rougher roads. The COG is within an inch of my axle which is nice. The 850 is actually designed to fit a short bed but it looks funky cuz the original owner didn't get the wraps. Once I get those on it will look better.
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

Added air bags to the Samurai camper today. Pretty easy install. A bit of welding and some holes, that's about it. The air bags leveled the camper out nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by edmoloco View Post
    I got it back in April and haven't kept track of the mileage, but Id guess in the low 20's. It had 103k miles on it when I got it. I paid $3500 and dumped another $2500 into it, so its not the bargain I was hoping for, but now its a solid running van. Kids love it and its a cargo van, people hauler, camper, what ever. The seating configuration is genius, if you can find one in descent shape you cant go wrong.
    What did you have to fix for $2500?
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by RIPITUP84 View Post
    Gotcha, and this makes sense. I have seen people stay overnight at the SV parking lot... I am going to ask SV and see what the official position is on this...

Thanks
    Last winter while sleeping in my truck camper in a forestry parking lot on Swan road between Breckenridge and Keystone, I was awakened in the middle of a cold night by a deputy sheriff informing me that there was no overnight parking. But he then said " you look to have a comfortable set up so you might as well stay the night".
    On the same trip I was told my someone in customer service at Home Depot in Avon, near Vail, that if you ask the store manager the official policy is no overnight parking, but if you just park there no one will say anything.

With RV camping/parking, sometimes it is better to apologize after the fact than ask first.