Page 105 of 510 FirstFirst ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 12745
    Do they build the 4by4 model with larger small truck platform?
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

I think it is the same platform as an s10 but not 100 percent on that. They didn't come from the factory as 4x4, only AWD. But its only a t-case swap.

Also, They make the 1/2 ton express platform with AWD and 5.3 V8 if you want a full-size platform.

Thanks for info
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I think it is the same platform as an s10 but not 100 percent on that. They didn't come from the factory as 4x4, only AWD. But its only a t-case swap.
    From several threads on the subject it appears a bit more complex than your post would suggest.

You basically have to have a complete AWD donor van to do the swap. There are many parts that you will find that are different between the two. I did this swap and had fun but it was a lot more work than I anticipated. Probably would not try again. I had a clean RWD with no drivetrain, a mangled AWD sitting in the driveway and a nice 4.3 that needed a home so it made sense for me to do the swap at the time.
    http://www.astrosafarivans.com/bb2/v...hp?f=21&t=3993

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    From several threads on the subject it appears a bit more complex than your post would suggest.

http://www.astrosafarivans.com/bb2/v...hp?f=21&t=3993
    That thread is about going from RWD to AWD.

The van above is an AWD converted to a 4x4. In the case of the later, its basically a t-case swap from an S10 or Blazer and engineering a shifter. I've read a lot on it as a multiple time AWD Astro owner. This is the cleanest example I've found: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-Adventure-VAN

I missed that nuance, snowaddict91's post makes more sense to me now.
    That does seem pretty straight forward if it's already an AWD.
    Side note, I like the look of the lifted Astro's.

Side note, I like the look of the lifted Astro's.
    That's cause lifted Astros are rad.

Mine misses the snow.

^^^
    Nice rig doebedoe

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    I am a diesel man at heart, but after one cold 24 hr camping session at 12k ft..my 12 valve took 30mins just to start up.
    Where we live and use our RV the most, this hasn't been an issue.
    However, if we decided we wanted to make a trip to Revelstoke, Jackson, Silverton, SLC or the like it would become more of an issue.

For that reason we will be adding an Espar Hydronic D5 in a similar configuration to this.

One thing we like is that it will allow us to add heat loops for all holding tanks which will help to make it more of a 4 season rig.

^^^
    Where we live and use our RV the most, this hasn't been an issue.
    However, if we decided we wanted to make a trip to Revelstoke, Jackson, Silverton, SLC or the like it would become more of an issue.

For that reason we will be adding an Espar Hydronic D5 in a similar configuration to this.

One thing we like is that it will allow us to add heat loops for all holding tanks which will help to make it more of a 4 season rig.
    This was what I want to do...in the future. So, at the time I had my W250 12 Valve..I wasn't towing anything for years but it was just an awesome truck to have. I sold it with ~320k on it, now I had to replace basically every auxiliary part on it but it started every single time, no matter what. I was like well, since I am not towing right now let's go back to gas and bought a 04' F-150 FX4 which honestly is awesome. But, when I get settled back into life again I plan to buy a 12/24valve 2500/3500 flat bed and put a hard sided camper on it...run the heating coils for heating and call it a day. I am going to remove the back seats, weld up a frame from camper to truck, and cut a hole in the rear cab/windowish, frame it off, and insulate + water proof. Basically, just a poors man hard sided walk through to cab camper.

... flat bed and put a hard sided camper on it...run the heating coils for heating and call it a day. I am going to remove the back seats, weld up a frame from camper to truck, and cut a hole in the rear cab/windowish, frame it off, and insulate + water proof. Basically, just a poors man hard sided walk through to cab camper.
    This is exactly what I'd like to do. My biggest concern is the cabover section not having the proper support after chopping a hole near it and not knowing what the framing looks like ahead of time. That cabover section takes a ton of stress every time you hit a bump.

Quote Originally Posted by nobueno View Post
    This is exactly what I'd like to do. My biggest concern is the cabover section not having the proper support after chopping a hole near it and not knowing what the framing looks like ahead of time. That cabover section takes a ton of stress every time you hit a bump.
    Seems like most of the stress from the cabover would be taken by the walls on the side. Most truck bed campers have a large window that lines up with the cab, so I wouldn't think making that window a bit taller would really have much of an effect.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Seems like most of the stress from the cabover would be taken by the walls on the side. Most truck bed campers have a large window that lines up with the cab, so I wouldn't think making that window a bit taller would really have much of an effect.
    Yea I know they've got the window but I figured it was framed out too but I could be wrong. Never opened one up. I assume most of the stress would be on the outside walls too but I figured cutting a hole big enough to walk through, ala tiger provan style, would weaken it substantially.

Quote Originally Posted by nobueno View Post
    Yea I know they've got the window but I figured it was framed out too but I could be wrong. Never opened one up. I assume most of the stress would be on the outside walls too but I figured cutting a hole big enough to walk through, ala tiger provan style, would weaken it substantially.
    I'm just armchair engineering, but I'd bet if you cut the window out down to the floor and left a horizontal brace at the bottom, it'd be fine. If it seemed to lose rigidity, it'd be easy enough to weld a frame around the opening to bear the load. It won't be big enough to walk through, but that wall in most cabover campers is only like 3.5' tall anyways. No matter what you do, it'll just be a hole to crawl through unless you cut head space into floor of the cabover.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'm just armchair engineering, but I'd bet if you cut the window out down to the floor and left a horizontal brace at the bottom, it'd be fine. If it seemed to lose rigidity, it'd be easy enough to weld a frame around the opening to bear the load. It won't be big enough to walk through, but that wall in most cabover campers is only like 3.5' tall anyways. No matter what you do, it'll just be a hole to crawl through unless you cut head space into floor of the cabover.
    Yea Provan said they stopped doing the overhead cutout because they were concerned about the structural integrity. They said they've never had a documented issue but decided to stop anyway. I just want it to be big enough to cool the dogs off in the back and be able to crawl through without going outside when I want.

This was what I want to do...in the future. So, at the time I had my W250 12 Valve..I wasn't towing anything for years but it was just an awesome truck to have. I sold it with ~320k on it, now I had to replace basically every auxiliary part on it but it started every single time, no matter what. I was like well, since I am not towing right now let's go back to gas and bought a 04' F-150 FX4 which honestly is awesome. But, when I get settled back into life again I plan to buy a 12/24valve 2500/3500 flat bed and put a hard sided camper on it...run the heating coils for heating and call it a day. I am going to remove the back seats, weld up a frame from camper to truck, and cut a hole in the rear cab/windowish, frame it off, and insulate + water proof. Basically, just a poors man hard sided walk through to cab camper.
    The truck and camper will flex opposite directions, I wouldn't suggest welding up a frame, a flexible coupling would be needed. We're still trying to figure out a good solution for a project we're working on. We have the door for the pass through installed, just need to find the appropriate connection. They are out there but aren't cheep.

I am selling my Northstar TC600 popup camper. It's listed in gear swap.

Looking to buy an older 8-9' Bigfoot or similar fiberglass 4 season camper (ie Alpenlite, Northern Lite, etc). If anyone has leads, let me know. Looking to spend between $3-5k. Older or a little rough around the edges works for me, I like projects.

I saw this monstrosity while I was wandering around town Saturday.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0535.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	193749

Name:	IMG_0536.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	743.4 KB 
ID:	193750
    it's obviously homemade, but I'm a little lost on the design. Is the cabover part just for aerodynamics or is this meant to be a dual purpose camper that can be flipped over and used as a boat? The back end almost looks like a Livingstone dinghy attached to the main shell. I wish the owner had been around.

This sweet old-school rig has been set up in the parking lot at Kootenay Pass the last couple of days.

This listing is scant on details, but it looks pretty clean relative to the price.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/rvs/5887025344.html

tiger provan..1994.. cx chevy 4x4 - $9500

This camper is in excellent condition inside and out. Original paint looks great, no dents, no rust, not leaks. All aluminum frame with 1 piece fiberglass roof. Sleeps 4 with pull out couch and overhead bed.
    This camper has always been well maintained, runs, drives and looks great. Everything works.

^^ Ah... fkna I like those.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I saw this monstrosity while I was wandering around town Saturday.

Name:	IMG_0535.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	193749

Name:	IMG_0536.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	743.4 KB 
ID:	193750
    it's obviously homemade, but I'm a little lost on the design. Is the cabover part just for aerodynamics or is this meant to be a dual purpose camper that can be flipped over and used as a boat? The back end almost looks like a Livingstone dinghy attached to the main shell. I wish the owner had been around.
    Why engineers are not designers.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    This listing is scant on details, but it looks pretty clean relative to the price.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/rvs/5887025344.html

I think general consensus on ExPo was that it's a scam listing, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Some of us swing both ways, buddy

Too bad aboot the scam BS

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I just can't figure out what the back part is supposed to be or what the purpose of the "boat" might be. The overall construction looked solid and well done from what I could see and it was even finished pretty cleanly.

Would be psyched if there were more shell options that you could mate to a f250/2500 size frame like a tiger. Saw this nissan rig which are usally sheet metal and plywood - this one looks like a nice solid two piece shell ala bigfoot. Thought it would be fun project to install that on a larger truck. It looks heavy as that is a large shell.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rvs/5878024005.html