Page 463 of 510 FirstFirst ... 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 ... LastLast
Results 11,551 to 11,575 of 12727
    I have a Renogy inverter and a Renogy DC-DC charger, but my solar charge controller is Victron. All have been reliable. However, IMO keeping the functions separate is wise. If your solar array isn't big and you're willing to go generic, there are suuuper cheap options for MPPT controllers that you could pair with a $100 DC-DC charger and still have money left over for a spare controller.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Shitty Day To own a van

Nice rapido Frederico

Is that a full replacement front bumper? Damned thing looks burly
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Surprised the parking guys let these dudes this close to the front. No idea how they got out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1680382426.971151.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	203.4 KB 
ID:	454009

Quote Originally Posted by adrian.bee View Post
    Anyone have experience with this DC-DC charger? https://www.renogy.com/dcc50s-12v-50...ger-with-mppt/

Fairly simple and would be perfect for my truck camper but worried its trying to do too much. Most of the reviews/comments are from solar dorks
    I have the Renogy 40a but not the built in solar compatibility. As far as the dc-dc it’s super awesome. I personally have almost zero use for solar (low power use in summer/fall, solar kinda sucks in winter).

Backwoods adventure mods front and back bumpers

Van compass suspension upgrade and skid plates

Ready to party

Did some off roadin today warming up for next weekend

Anyone have experience with this DC-DC charger? https://www.renogy.com/dcc50s-12v-50...ger-with-mppt/

Fairly simple and would be perfect for my truck camper but worried its trying to do too much. Most of the reviews/comments are from solar dorks
    I have the 30A version. It works exactly as advertised. Wouldn't hesitate to go with one of these again. Separate functions sure, if money was no object.

What are you planning for panels and battery capacity? For a truck camper seems like the 30A should suffice. The only time my battery gets drawn down is when the truck doesn't leave the garage for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Is that a full replacement front bumper? Damned thing looks burly
    Whole Foods parking lot is always packed and hard to turn around in.

And if your traction boards don't get you off the shopping cart you high centered on, the shackles are already ready to hook a tow strap to a Tesla to get you back on the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

I bought the CTEK version of that which someone here recommended. I installed it in my truck camper. No issues, small, easy to install. I think that renogy unit will work fine. I screwed up the other day and didn't take a photo. Couple were towing a trailer with an Earthcruiser. The trailer was built to carry the Tesla. The trailer had 9000 watts of solar panels mounted on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    I have the Renogy 40a but not the built in solar compatibility. As far as the dc-dc it’s super awesome. I personally have almost zero use for solar (low power use in summer/fall, solar kinda sucks in winter).
    I just have a 105ah AGM and same, pretty low usage in terms of my camper: furnace, lights, water pump, phones. Just like to keep the battery topped up.

DC-DC charging is next course of action but my camper is already wired for solar I'd like to have something up there even if it's just one panel.

If you're using an AGM battery your can just use and isolator instead of a DC-DC. They are really only required for lithium batts. I can explain the reasons if you care.

You can just get a cheap relay isolator and a cheap charge controller and be in business.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    If you're using an AGM battery your can just use and isolator instead of a DC-DC. They are really only required for lithium batts. I can explain the reasons if you care.

You can just get a cheap relay isolator and a cheap charge controller and be in business.
    I did that for a few years with my other truck camper. Worked fine. As long as you don’t have a gigantic amp hour system placing a huge burden on the alternator.

Could also just run cheap charge controller if only running one solar panel if amps output of solar is lowish. So cheap charge controller plus cheap isolator. If that’s your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post

I disagree. Your vehicle charger is set up to charge the vehicle battery. If you house batteries are close then your direct connect would be ok. If your house batteries are 30' or more (of wire) away then the voltage drop means they will never be fully charged. That leads to sulfation and a short battery life. Lead acid batteries like to be fully charged.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

I'm not sure how you'd get 30' of wire between your alternator and a battery in a truck camper, but anyway voltage drop can easily be eliminated but using the right gauge of wire.

Using AGM vs lithium implies that OP is on a budget. If cost were not a concern it would be lithium, DC-DC, and mppt all the way, obviously.

My run is 14’ from truck battery to truck camper battery. Battery is at front of camper, but opposite side, so the distance adds up quick.

I have AGM battery and isolator/alternator. The isolator/alternator is not the ideal way to charge and will never get your battery fully charged no matter what the wire run (becuase it is not a smart charger going through bulk, absorption, and float stages at specific voltages). But it is better than nothing and it is cheap. The important thing is to either have your battery plugged into shore power when parked at home, or solar. Otherwise, you will be storing your battery not fully charged, which kills your battery.

I only got two years out of my first AGM battery but I did not have solar and was not plugging in when parked. I am three years in on the new battery with no issues still using the alternator/isolator but now I have solar to keep it charged when parked. I sometimes wonder if isolator/alternator is doing harm to my battery (or alternator) becuase it is charging it at much higher voltage than what the battery wants. I will upgrade to dc to dc if I ever get a lithium battery.
    Last edited by altasnob; 04-04-2023 at 05:29 PM.

My run is 14’ from truck battery to truck camper battery. Battery is at front of camper, but opposite side, so the distance adds up quick.
    And there are two wires so it's 14' out and 14' back.

On my slide in camper the batteries are in the back and opposite the connector. From the connector it's about 20' (8' across + 10' back + 2' down). The truck is a QuadCab so the battery to the camper connector is another 17' (3' down + 8' back + 6' cable). It adds up fast.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    And there are two wires so it's 14' out and 14' back.

On my slide in camper the batteries are in the back and opposite the connector. From the connector it's about 20' (8' across + 10' back + 2' down). The truck is a QuadCab so the battery to the camper connector is another 17' (3' down + 8' back + 6' cable). It adds up fast.
    I’m not a physicist, or that smart, but guess you’re right. The circuit includes both the hot AND ground. Well anyway, I’m running #2 wire and the Renogy 40a DC-DC seems to like it. I think it’s around 2% voltage drop at 14v.

I’m not a physicist, or that smart, but guess you’re right. The circuit includes both the hot AND ground. Well anyway, I’m running #2 wire and the Renogy 40a DC-DC seems to like it. I think it’s around 2% voltage drop at 14v.
    The voltage drop is determined by the resistance and the currant (amps). 2 gauge is a big wire. At 10 amps your voltage drop is 0.04V. At 40 amps the drop is 0.175V.

This is why a DC-DC converter is useful (as long as it's close to the target battery) - it'll boost the voltage to the correct level in spite of the voltage drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    The voltage drop is determined by the resistance and the currant (amps). 2 gauge is a big wire. At 10 amps your voltage drop is 0.04V. At 40 amps the drop is 0.175V.

This is why a DC-DC converter is useful (as long as it's close to the target battery) - it'll boost the voltage to the correct level in spite of the voltage drop.
    Yeah and 28' of #2 isn't cheap. But it's better than starting a fire.

Yeah and 28' of #2 isn't cheap. But it's better than starting a fire.
    Can one reduce the amount of ground wire needed by mounting the DC-DC charger close to the target battery and then running the ground wire to the DC to DC charger from the neg terminal of the close by target battery or alternately, running the ground wire to the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    Surprised the parking guys let these dudes this close to the front. No idea how they got out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1680382426.971151.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	203.4 KB 
ID:	454009
    Because this guy at the end of the day can sit and enjoy a beer or eat and wait for everyone else to leave!

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Can one reduce the amount of ground wire needed by mounting the DC-DC charger close to the target battery and then running the ground wire to the DC to DC charger from the neg terminal of the close by target battery or alternately, running the ground wire to the frame?
    I’m not really sure but it seems like that would work?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	34C60735-0FC2-44CB-914F-186D0E8CB57B.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	454635

I attached the sensing “D” wire to the fuse that manages the trailer brakes (I’m not towing/it’s in truck camper). So it turns on when ignition is turned over, but not before. Works great.