Page 315 of 510 FirstFirst ... 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 ... LastLast
Results 7,851 to 7,875 of 12745
    Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    will make sure i've got the spare
    It's vitally important to check the spare.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

oil leak is not that bad. i'll take some qts oil along for the ride too.
    noted on north platte.
    i figure there will be at least one decent story to come from this.
    Some of my best memories of my college years, and beyond, are road trips. Hope you have a blast and things go smoothly. You are in a common vehicle that can be fixed by any podunk mechanic so you have a leg up on my travels in a 99 mitsubishi.

I was a young lad and did an epic 21st birthday road trip with a buddy. My '76 GMC with camper broke down four hours from home. Threw a rod. I bought the truck and camper for $300 and an ounce. Hitchhiked into the small town nearby and found an old farmer who offered to tow it to his place if he could keep it for parts. I mailed him the title later. I called my soon to be ex-girlfriend and bought her a yakima rack over the phone at the shop I was working at in exchange for her to come get us, gear, and bring us home.

Take the suburban and build some memories.

As for a 250 miles range, doesn't work for me. Filled my tank last weekend, drove 450 miles round trip and filled it back up when I got home. It was to places where I doubt there will be charges stations in the next 20 years if ever. But, there was only one gas station for a 200 miles stretch too.

Edit-just looked and there is one 8kw charge station about halfway on the trip at an RV park. Looks like it would take about 10 hours each way to charge. Good thing it's at an RV park.

our other option was renting a uhaul van and driving that thing but i figure that is a terrible option. might've made for a decent TR though.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    This is the middle of the country now. In two years the map will mirror a population map

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Maybe. But that doesn't change the fact that sitting around for 2-3 hours to let my camper charge turns my 4.5 hour drive into a 7 hour drive. And it'd make a 1 day drive to Moab a multi-day affair (in both directions). And that doesn't even get into the fact that the range on that camper is gonna be way shorter once its fully loaded and 800lbs heavier.

Electric vehicles are great. I want one for my commute for all of the obvious reasons. But they've got a long ways to go before they're a rational choice as a camping rig. They'd undoubtedly work for certain short trips, but I'm not gonna spend gobs of money on a vehicle that's only really useful for close to home excursions.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Maybe. But that doesn't change the fact that sitting around for 2-3 hours to let my camper charge turns my 4.5 hour drive into a 7 hour drive. And it'd make a 1 day drive to Moab a multi-day affair (in both directions). And that doesn't even get into the fact that the range on that camper is gonna be way shorter once its fully loaded and 800lbs heavier.
    Like I said, the current fastest charger is 350kW so that rig would charge in about 15 minutes. I don't know if, or how much faster the chargers will be in two years (at which point only the pickup will be available) but it's safe to say the currently faster chargers will be more available and slower chargers will be relegated to places where you would be expected to spend more time. I am excited for the pickup, but could definitely see not buying the first run for obvious reasons.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

figure this belongs here:
    so my buddy and i are planning to roadtrip it to beartooth basin in early june. at this point, i figure i'll be taking my suburban unless a new car is in my near future. buddy doesn't wanna take his 6.0 and i don't really blame him. it is also his work truck and he can't really afford to put the miles on it. now the suburban is perfect in many ways: it drives decently enough, cruise control works, offers hardsided camping for two, and provides almost ample space for all of our shit. the surburban is also terrible in that it is 2wd and has a perpetual oil leak. she has died on me before and i thought that was the end. something is likely wrong with the alternator as well but i can probably get that taken care of in the next week or so. so question is, how terrible of an idea is it taking my 2wd shitmobile 2/3 of the way across the country and camping off fs roads? i'll give er a full service before we disembark and will make sure i've got the spare but i just don't know what kinda strain roadtrippin 2k miles in a day and a half will put on the engine.
    2WD is not an issue, unless you make a mistake sliding off a shoulder or turning around. You'll want to look at the Travel Plan for each NF that you plan to camp in; they are available for free at any FS office or online.

Quote Originally Posted by b0ardski View Post
    thanks I was leaning towards splurging on the Battleborn for all those reasons plus you know,,,murica

plan to have 2-100w panels on the rv and 2 100ah batts in a case w/prosine 2000w inverter built in for a portable solar generator to charge onewheels and ebikes. then I can always jack into the rv house system if necessary. Haven't looked into a lithium charge controller yet may just get it from battleborn.
    Fwiw the cells are from China but the integration and packaging is completed in NV. Not that any lifepo4 cells are made anywhere else these days...

Like I said, the current fastest charger is 350kW so that rig would charge in about 15 minutes. I don't know if, or how much faster the chargers will be in two years (at which point only the pickup will be available) but it's safe to say the currently faster chargers will be more available and slower chargers will be relegated to places where you would be expected to spend more time. I am excited for the pickup, but could definitely see not buying the first run for obvious reasons.
    It'll definitely be awesome once fast charging is widely available and vehicle range ticks up a fair bit. I'm sure it'll come - it's just a question of how soon.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Some of us who might buy that won't because of lack of clearance.

Source: Have a modern minivan with >9" of clearance.
    But you can make it 9" of clearance if you want to, honestly would that be your only reason for not getting this one-of-a-kind vehicle?

But point taken, a few would want that vehicle and 9". IMO: do not buy.

Like I said, the current fastest charger is 350kW so that rig would charge in about 15 minutes.
    It says on their website it takes 25 minutes to get to 80%.

It'll definitely be awesome once fast charging is widely available and vehicle range ticks up a fair bit. I'm sure it'll come - it's just a question of how soon.
    2024/2025-ish if these guys are to be believed:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...h=363407da6d28

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Blow it up to sprinter size, put 160kwH of battery in it, add AWD, and I would gladly trade any first-born children
    Said there will be an AWD option, I bet that will put it closer to the $50k range of their $35-50k, but still beats most AWD vans.
    I kind of like the size, looks like it might be sort of similar to my Astro, which I like.

Given the unique chassis design, I wonder if it’ll be easy to lift.
    From the site “ Transverse composite leaf spring suspension (front and rear) with stabilizer and twin tube damper.”

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    2wd (most likely) won't matter in june. How bad is the oil leak? Check it every fuel stop or 2 and fucking send it.

As someone who has been stranded on cross country trips with major mechanicals twice, you'll have a good story if nothing else. I was once stuck in North Platte, Nebraska for three days once, though. Don't even slow down for that pit.
    Been in north Platte. Agree...skip that shit...

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    2024/2025-ish if these guys are to be believed:

In the meantime 2022 Tundra hybrid w a pop-up TC will have to do.

and there's the live announcement of the all electric f150

and there's the live announcement of the all electric f150

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/

as nice as that looks, that's how crappy the new E Transit, out later this year, looks.

Electric vehicles are great. I want one for my commute for all of the obvious reasons. But they've got a long ways to go before they're a rational choice as a camping rig. They'd undoubtedly work for certain short trips, but I'm not gonna spend gobs of money on a vehicle that's only really useful for close to home excursions.
    If that vaporware #vanlife E-van can tow, just bring one of these along.

https://reno.craigslist.org/bfd/d/po...316407762.html
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

figure this belongs here:
    so my buddy and i are planning to roadtrip it to beartooth basin in early june. at this point, i figure i'll be taking my suburban unless a new car is in my near future. buddy doesn't wanna take his 6.0 and i don't really blame him. it is also his work truck and he can't really afford to put the miles on it. now the suburban is perfect in many ways: it drives decently enough, cruise control works, offers hardsided camping for two, and provides almost ample space for all of our shit. the surburban is also terrible in that it is 2wd and has a perpetual oil leak. she has died on me before and i thought that was the end. something is likely wrong with the alternator as well but i can probably get that taken care of in the next week or so. so question is, how terrible of an idea is it taking my 2wd shitmobile 2/3 of the way across the country and camping off fs roads? i'll give er a full service before we disembark and will make sure i've got the spare but i just don't know what kinda strain roadtrippin 2k miles in a day and a half will put on the engine.
    Yeah I bet the Burban is newer but I had a 96 K1500 truck and the fucking rebuilt Delco alternators yes plural gave me shit til I got a new one from Bosch. Easy to swap.

Stop and go puts way more stress on the engine than cruising at 65 on a road trip. Creeping on fs roads might tax a tired cooling system a bit so watch that.

Maybe bring cardboard or oil dry for the leak impact remediation.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    If that vaporware #vanlife E-van can tow, just bring one of these along.

https://reno.craigslist.org/bfd/d/po...316407762.html
    Oh man, that'd be revolutionary. Keep it plugged in while driving and you could go until you had to stop for fuel!

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Does a hard-sided truck pop up like that exist? The concept looks cool but the viability seems iffy.
    This is the closest i've seen yet. it's a mostly hard sided pop up.
    https://nimblvehicles.com/vehicle/nimbl-evolution/

there's not much info on the cabin but they bought out xpcamper so it's probably very similar to this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8soxFV3QXE

so our tentative plan is to leave early am on the 8th and hopefully get to jackson sometime in the afternoon on the 9th. how feasible is this, driving 2000 miles in 36 hours? i figure it won't be too bad if we tag team the driving while the other sleeps.
    swing your fucking sword.

55 mph the whole way? You don’t have to worry about your engine getting blown up so much is getting your ass run over on the fucking highway.

Depends. That's 55 mph the entire 36 hours. That would be 70 mph the entire time except for food and gas stops. So, wear Depends