Page 357 of 510 FirstFirst ... 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 ... LastLast
Results 8,901 to 8,925 of 12749
    I fill up my tank with antifreeze (just enough for toilet flushing) and keep bottled water for drinking/dishes. Also worth noting that it doesn't get very cold in Washington teens and twenties are about as cold as it gets

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Yah, why?

As long as you're self-contained and your camper is insulated, it should be a non-issue. It's not as if we're asking for a water hook-up.

Also this.
    Heat from a propane furnace or any heat source does not get distributed evenly in an RV. Most "winter rated' RVs will be good to a few degrees below freezing, but real winter temps and your pipes will freeze. The exceptions are few.

Just carry water in jugs and drain grey tank right away after using the sink.
    For showers I heat water on the stove and then use this: http://www.hotjugz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Heat from a propane furnace or any heat source does not get distributed evenly in an RV. Most "winter rated' RVs will be good to a few degrees below freezing, but real winter temps and your pipes will freeze.
    Gotcha. I thought you were saying it was because they were on the resort property and it wasn't allowed, rather than the temps.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

If any mags plan on camping at River Run in Sun Valley pm me and I'll get you access to locker rooms w showers and a place to plug in your boot heaters overnight as well as boot up in the am. I "think" there is 110v available at no charge in the parking lot as well. Hopefully covid doesn't eff the locker room(again), lots of rubes behind the potato curtain.

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    I fill up my tank with antifreeze (just enough for toilet flushing) and keep bottled water for drinking/dishes. Also worth noting that it doesn't get very cold in Washington teens and twenties are about as cold as it gets

I'm in the same boat in the PNWet; not terribly cold temps.

Heat from a propane furnace or any heat source does not get distributed evenly in an RV. Most "winter rated' RVs will be good to a few degrees below freezing, but real winter temps and your pipes will freeze. The exceptions are few.

Just carry water in jugs and drain grey tank right away after using the sink.
    Well, fair enough. I've had my Lance down into the 20s without issue (knock on wood). But maybe I'm living on borrowed time?

As for the gray tank; why not splash in some antifreeze? That's always done the trick for me.

In real winter (Rogers Pass in Feb, for example) we just go on as normal. The tanks and drain valve freeze solid but more shit piles on top. After about a week we go to town and spend a day running the tiny generator with the tank heat pads on and a space heater under the rear end, which I sort of tent with reflectix. It all melts and we drain it before it can freeze again.

Obviously a fully insulated and heated black/grey setup would be ideal but we muddle through. I've tried putting a gallon or so if antifreeze into the tanks and it doesn't work, as the concentration eventually gets too low to prevent freezing.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

In addition to a mostly winter capable truck camper, I have a 5th wheel trailer as a ski chalet with a plug-in at a friend's place 18kms from Sun Peaks. My trailer was built by Bigfoot Campers and has an R20 floor and R12 walls and roof. The holding tanks are in a heated and insulated belly pan and the dump valves are mounted more than a foot away from an outside wall so they don't freeze.

Inside the trailer some of the plumbing is against an outside wall so I zipped tied heat tape to the pipes and then wrapped that in tin foil to help distribute heat. At 0F/-18C, I turn on the heat tape and a heating pad positioned where the pipes run over the less than R20 wheel well. At around -25C the pipes freeze, I pull out a cabinet drawer and position a small ceramic heater aimed at the wheel well and 15-20 min. later there is running water.

As I stated in a previous post, I don't bother to run a water system in winter in my truck camper.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    "Yah, why?

As long as you're self-contained and your camper is insulated, it should be a non-issue. It's not as if we're asking for a water hook-up."

In theory. In practice that "non-issue" becomes an issue when your plumbing fails on a winter day. If you have a heated garage to store it in when not in use go for it. Or if you think you can drain and purge the system during the winter between trips great.

The experienced winter RV folks will tell you that don't expect your plumbing to work in the winter without failure. We use giant water jugs that can freeze and thaw over and over.

Yes I have to lug those jugs in and out of the house to refill. Takes 5 minutes
    Same here. In fact, I pulled the 20 gal tank to free up storage and use portable 5 gal jugs that I dip the water pump hose into. Use wag bags and a river toilet for "facilities". We're not night poopers but are prepared in case there's any code browns.

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Ok, this has probably been asked/answered lots of times, but I’m getting a bit frustrated. I got a diesel truck with an 8’ bed, and I’m looking for a camper. I want it to be roughly 8’ long, no rear overhang so I can put the moto on the hitch rack or hook up the sled trailer without any hitch extensions. I’d also like to keep the weight moderate or even light. I certainly don’t want a bathroom or anything else heavy and complicated. Why is this so hard to find? Everything has big overhangs and is heavy.
    I’m also trying to spend less than 6k or so. Stuff has gone by here and there, but overall seems like a hole in the used market. Any brands/models i should be looking for? I’d love a Bigfoot or Northern Lite as I’m only using it during winter, but those are all gigantic.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    https://reno.craigslist.org/rvs/d/ye...386524311.html

My rig won't be nearly as roomy or awesome as others here, but in a couple of weeks I'm selling my '03 Forester in lieu of buying a Z71 Suburban of similar vintage. It will be a welcomed upgrade.

I plan on incorporating some of the attributes I see over at https://www.suboverland.com/ but need to retain the ability to haul boxes and furniture for my side hustle. A pop-up top similar to this would be nice eventually, but I don't know if I'll have it in my for the custom work.

there's actually three pics in the this post but when i go there the three dots don't show up at the bottom
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi8Hw0hAeBk/

Here's a not quite finished pic with the bed down
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yuburvan.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	387259

Sweet setup and pup. This is my kinda low-key rig.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    there's actually three pics in the this post but when i go there the three dots don't show up at the bottom
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi8Hw0hAeBk/

Here's a not quite finished pic with the bed down
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yuburvan.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	387259
    Real nice! Great job

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

A friend of mine is selling this. I haven't been in or seen the rig though. $9495 for truck and camper if I read it right. Not sure if they are both 1993.
    Name:  243353243_10220754617236727_2175542061176404852_n.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  142.1 KB
    1993 Lance Camper f250 4x4
    I'm only Selling this awesome adventure vehicle because I am loosing my house in Tahoe because the owner is turning it into a Vacation Rental And I won't have a place to park it.
    The Camper also has electric jacks for easy removal. However this but is a package deal I don't plan to sell them separately since they go together so well. Also I have been renting it out through outdoorsy.co for additional income. It has the potential to generate $40,000 a year in rental income.

This has been my go to Recreational Vehicle for the last 5 years. The Truck is a 4x4 so you can do adventures year around. I have also stayed in the camper on winter snow sport trips so you can use it year around. I installed solar on the roof..

I also replaced the mattress with a Zinus 6 Inch Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress. It's awesome!!

Has the Ford V8 460 7.5 Liter Engine w/ 198k with an automatic Transmission & locking 4x4 hubs

Here's the link to the listing but I'm guessing it may be a private group
    https://www.facebook.com/commerce/li...0054820936167/
    Last edited by powdork; 09-29-2021 at 11:28 AM.

This thread has the tiny hamster in my head running... water tanks, insulation, and winter camping.

A few mentioned that you yarded out your freshwater tank in lieu of multiple 5-gallon jugs. Based on what I understand of my Lance, the water tank is in the floor. This would seem to make the removal, and subsequent water jug storage difficult. For those of you that did such a thing; how did you do it? And what does your setup look like now?

I don't remove my water tank in the winter. Is that what you are asking? I blow out the system and it stays dry all winter. I use 5 gallon water jugs until spring when the built in 20 gallon tank and faucet gets used again.

This thread has the tiny hamster in my head running... water tanks, insulation, and winter camping.

A few mentioned that you yarded out your freshwater tank in lieu of multiple 5-gallon jugs. Based on what I understand of my Lance, the water tank is in the floor. This would seem to make the removal, and subsequent water jug storage difficult. For those of you that did such a thing; how did you do it? And what does your setup look like now?
    I don't have a Lance but I do a lot of winter RV camping and put water jugs in my shower stall and remove them to shower using: http://www.hotjugz.com/
    AFAIK a Lance camper with a winter package is one of the few RVs that can run a water system in below freezing temps but how much below is the unknown.

I don't remove my water tank in the winter. Is that what you are asking? I blow out the system and it stays dry all winter. I use 5 gallon water jugs until spring when the built in 20 gallon tank and faucet gets used again.
    It is. Maybe I read it wrong about the full removal of tanks. Maybe that was the removal of something else?

What you say about the jugs makes sense, though my camper lives in the valley, which rarely sees below freezing temps, so in the event that I'm camping somewhere farther east in well-below freezing temps, I can always dump the tanks when I"m back home and things thaw out... provided I don't burst any fittings or pipes.

I don't have a Lance but I do a lot of winter RV camping and put water jugs in my shower stall and remove them to shower using: http://www.hotjugz.com/
    AFAIK a Lance camper with a winter package is one of the few RVs that can run a water system in below freezing temps but how much below is the unknown.
    And that's what I have. The best I can determine, all water pipes are either run next to heating ducts or live in a heated space. I've been down to 20 degrees overnight, but not for multiple days. So... I'll how it goes. Maybe I come back to this thread after a trip to Mammoth, Bachelor, and Red to lament frozen pipes.

It is. Maybe I read it wrong about the full removal of tanks. Maybe that was the removal of something else?

What you say about the jugs makes sense, though my camper lives in the valley, which rarely sees below freezing temps, so in the event that I'm camping somewhere farther east in well-below freezing temps, I can always dump the tanks when I"m back home and things thaw out... provided I don't burst any fittings or pipes.

And that's what I have. The best I can determine, all water pipes are either run next to heating ducts or live in a heated space. I've been down to 20 degrees overnight, but not for multiple days. So... I'll how it goes. Maybe I come back to this thread after a trip to Mammoth, Bachelor, and Red to lament frozen pipes.
    Plumbing used in RVs will not likely burst due to freezing. For thawing, it helps to know exactly where it is frozen; "Ts" being the most common spot or where pipes run next to an outside wall.

Plumbing used in RVs will not likely burst due to freezing. For thawing, it helps to know exactly where it is frozen; "Ts" being the most common spot or where pipes run next to an outside wall.
    Makes sense. In looking at mine, it's all pex with the occasional t-fitting. I did have a hard plastic check valve fail, causing a small leak - an easy fix.

This is what I used to do. But my inverter went out and I couldn’t fit a new one in the spot without removing the tank that was under the bed so I did. Opened up some storage and I have a spot a jug fits. Eventually we’re redoing the bed setup and I’ll figure out a more elegant and efficient setup. It will probably still use jugs though. I don’t have a spigot close to where I park so jugs are more convenient for me.

If I were in your, bobcat’s, situation, I’d do what Simple is saying.

Quote Originally Posted by juanrogera View Post
    My rig won't be nearly as roomy or awesome as others here, but in a couple of weeks I'm selling my '03 Forester in lieu of buying a Z71 Suburban of similar vintage. It will be a welcomed upgrade.

I plan on incorporating some of the attributes I see over at https://www.suboverland.com/ but need to retain the ability to haul boxes and furniture for my side hustle. A pop-up top similar to this would be nice eventually, but I don't know if I'll have it in my for the custom work.
    Post up how it goes. I rented a suburban on a trip last year and want one now. Are you going to remove the back seats?
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Makes sense. In looking at mine, it's all pex with the occasional t-fitting. I did have a hard plastic check valve fail, causing a small leak - an easy fix.
    You'll be fine in that camper bro. Doesn't really matter how cold it is outside if you're heating the inside to a normal temp (70-ish).

Can anyone recommend a good battery (house battery) in the 3 to 400 dollar range? On board generator should keep it from discharging too much but the furnace draws a lot in winter over night.
    Would love to go golf cart but don't have the room for more than the single battery

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

That price range should get you a nice +/-200ah SLA or AGM. I use the Duracell ultras from Batteries plus for work. They’re rated for deep discharge, like down to 10.8V.

For the same usable storage, there are a few companies offering good 100ah LiFePO4 batteries in the $500-$600 range.