Page 114 of 510 FirstFirst ... 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 ... LastLast
Results 2,826 to 2,850 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    The moral of the story is, if you're gonna do vanlife, finance a new van, build it out, sell it before the bubble pops and count your monies.
    Pure profit!

Quote Originally Posted by Kailua_Boys View Post
    This thing is pretty sweet and I'd pick it up in a second if I had the time for a third vehicle. A steal for 5K.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/6023556379.html
    I had one of those; worst mountain car ever. I used to get passed by semis heading up I-70 out of Denver. Great for camping, but ridiculously underpowered.

Quote Originally Posted by skivan View Post
    Looks like it might have a lift too

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    . . . vans are just far more comfortable to camp in. Not necessarily more comfortable to sleep in, but if you need to spend lots of time inside (rain / snow / winter) vans beat all other setups except slide-ins/RVs.
    Not getting this. Vans + "other than slide-ins/RVs" = hanging out in a car? If that's what you mean: Yeah, of course. Duh

IME (5 camping vehicles in 25 years = 3 vans, 2 lightweight slide-in pop-ups), whether camping rig is better to hang out in for extended periods of time in bad weather depends not on whether it's a van, slide-in, class B, class C or class A, but on weatherproofing, insulation, configuration of seating and existence nature of furnace/heater. IME, the most important factor re handing out for extended periods is whether you can stand upright -- you can stand up in virtually all slide-in campers and class A/B/C, but not in most vans. Next important factors are furnace w/heat exchanger (to dry things out) and configuration of seating. A van with a wick heater or the like is inferior in bad weather because you'll never dry out.
    Last edited by DIYSteve; 04-01-2017 at 09:09 AM.

This has got to be a fucken maggot! Shot today at the Slickrock trailhead Moab America
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

I guess they took the "Tiger" part seriously

Anyone seen this around?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4471.JPG 
Views:	187 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	204040

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post

This has got to be a fucken maggot! Shot today at the Slickrock trailhead Moab America
    Maybe it belongs to the guy at snowbird that dresses like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    Maybe it belongs to the guy at snowbird that dresses like that.
    Needs to have a couple kids following him on leopard spotted mtbs lol
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by yardsale2 View Post
    We also chose the Escape for the general quality and high level customer service and our satisfied with it except for the following issues. Dometic fridges are poorly designed and the propane function is finicky. Even with the extra insulation, double windows and heated tanks, the Escape is marginal as a winter tool unless you dry camp as the gray and black water dump valves are outside the heated space. In particular, the black water tank has a 3' fun of 3" pipe outside the heated space from the black tank to the dump valve. While insulated, it "freezes" during sub freezing weather even with lots of antifreeze as it becomes a snowcone consistency and will not move along that long run of pipe. Will discuss possible workarounds if anyone is serious. For a heavier but more winter worthy trailer look at Northwoods, Lance or Oliver. We are looking at Oliver but not sure it is worth twice the money of these other trailers.

We tow our 17b with a 20012 RAV 4 with a 6. It has a 3500lb tow capacity. Unfortunately no longer made.
    We got an Escape 17B as well. It's the 2017 model with insulation they claim is 2.5X the R-value of the old insulation which was actually just reflectex. We spent a couple of nights in the mid-20's and it was fine.

We got the extra insulation, frameless thermal windows (no dripping condensation because there are no frames!), heated tanks, and spray-foam insulation for max winter capability. Escape switched to different Fridge models in 2017 that are less problematic.

The plan is to leave on Feb 7th next year for a 1-month trip up into interior BC, Montana, and Idaho to work on our skinorthamerica100.com project. Our friends have a custom built Unimog expedition vehicle they plan to follow in.

Yes, the dump valves will be a problem. I'm going to use some heat tape. I'm talking with a heat tape manufacturer about using 3.5 w/ft 12V tape. The problem will be what to insulate it with. The spray foam will have to be scraped off and something will need to cover the heat tape. The reality of the situation is that it's going to freeze because you can't leave the heat tape on all the time on battery power, but I'm hoping the tape will be enough to thaw it for dumping if it's not too cold. We spent 2 weeks up there in early Feb this year and it actually rarely got below 25F so not too worried.

We tow it with a 2012 VW Touareg TDI currently and get 20 mpg at 65. Of course this is getting bought back by VW due to dieselgate so next year we will be using our Honda Pilot as a TV. That has a 5,000 lb tow capacity. I've only towed it about 50 miles with that so far, but it looks like it's going to come in at somewhere around 17 mpg. We always use Blizzak snow tires on our vehicles for Tahoe winters, and I will carry cable chains for the Escape although I'd like to avoid ever using them because the wheel-wells are fiberglass and will be destroyed by a loose chain. We will see how it goes next winter!
    Name:  32800800550_0c8fc56cd6_z.jpg
Views: 1733
Size:  153.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    We always use Blizzak snow tires on our vehicles for Tahoe winters, and I will carry cable chains for the Escape although I'd like to avoid ever using them because the wheel-wells are fiberglass and will be destroyed by a loose chain.
    Could you line the wheel wells with some flexible diamond plate?

So, I get the chains on the car tires, but I don't really understand the chains on the trailer tires. I don't think I've ever seen that before, not in my neck of the woods anyways.

If you need chains on the tow vehicle, you need chains on the trailer as well. If you don't chain up the entire rig, when you apply the brakes the trailer is going to try to pass you.

Plan on using the chains on the Escape. Once that trailer breaks free, it is taking you with it. If not for getting to the parking lot, getting around and out of the lots. You will find chains on many TT at the resorts where you are headed.

If you do not want to drill holes in to the trailer to mount the diamond plate like Kai was thinking, would a lineX type coating protect it?

Yeah, with electric brakes on the trailer it's different than just towing a flatbed snowmobile trailer or a small U-Haul for obvious reasons when on snow.

This crop from a photo on the Escape website shows the tight clearance of the wheel well. A 2" lift kit is available to make the clearance better.

Name:  Passenger-Side-with-Awning.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  44.1 KB

Great idea using diamond plate. I'll see how the first season goes next winter and then make changes if necessary.

Sounds like Escape has made significant improvements. If we keep it, I am going to try to have a gate valve installed just below the black tank such that the run of 3" pipe outside the heated space to the primary dump valve remains empty until you want to dump. If possible, it is a superior solution to heat tape as no energy is required. Good move on the fridge change. The door on our Dometic RM8551 FELL OFF on our way back East a week ago!

Skisos,
    You get 20 mpg while towing? That's amazing. We get 14+ towing the same trailer with our Rav4.

Does anyone have a line on a bench seat/sofa bed convert with 3 point shoulder seatbelts that can be installed in Sprinters? Other than ordering one from europe? This seems to be a problem.

Disclaimer I've followed this thread loosely but didn't search if this has been discussed here.

We're working on building out our ski RV.....

Quote Originally Posted by yardsale2 View Post
    Skisos,
    You get 20 mpg while towing? That's amazing. We get 14+ towing the same trailer with our Rav4.
    It's a cheater TDI though. VW is buying it back as part of the the EPA settlement. It was great while it lasted...

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Rawr!
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Anyone have any experience swapping out house battery deep cycle with a lithium ion?
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Is this a mag in my neck of the woods tonight?
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

On Sacramento's craigslist -
    https://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/6100178561.html

Text of ad:
    1990 chinook concourse 4X4 7.3 liter turbo diesel automatic transmission fullyself contained with 3 burner stove with oven 2 way refrigerator and freezer microwave double sink tv with antenna jacks and hook ups sofa that turns into bed swivel Dinette toilet and shower roof a/c onan generator all appliances work
    Tow package roof storage box all fiberglass call for more info serious buyers only please must see $12500
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.