Page 206 of 510 FirstFirst ... 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 ... LastLast
Results 5,126 to 5,150 of 12727
    I guess I am still stumbling on everyone’s decision to drop so much coin on a continually depreciating asset (can you call it that?). I know people deep in debt and justifying it so many ways. Actually, I know very few people who #vanlife and are satisfied and happy. Living in a van seriously hobbles one in so many ways.

I’m trying to peg when the whole van life thing is going to dry up. Municipalities are actively making it harder to live in a car. Living in a van is hard work and takes dedication. Dedication most people don’t have.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

A loan on even a small RV, if it meets the criteria, may qualify for the mortgage interest deduction. Though the standard deduction jumped so much after the 2017 tax law that it doesn't matter to as many people anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Wifes corgy could comes with us, my rotti stays home to guard the ranch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Zero-emission ski bumming coming to a parking lot near you?

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/a...CAD-03-10abf2a

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    I guess I am still stumbling on everyone’s decision to drop so much coin on a continually depreciating asset (can you call it that?). I know people deep in debt and justifying it so many ways. Actually, I know very few people who #vanlife and are satisfied and happy. Living in a van seriously hobbles one in so many ways.

I’m trying to peg when the whole van life thing is going to dry up. Municipalities are actively making it harder to live in a car. Living in a van is hard work and takes dedication. Dedication most people don’t have.
    The Van thing is a fad, and like many fads today, it doesn't make much sense in my opinion. I looked at vans in the beginning of my mobile life journey, and I couldn't justify the 150k for a small one piece travel vessel. So, I bought a nice diesel and brand new 5th wheel for about 105k. Truck is now paid off, and only owe 30k on the RV. And the space and comfortable living of the 5th wheel allows me to travel for work, and make bank while doing it.

I would have quit this non-stop traveling life had I been cooped up in a van the last 3 years. I love being able to get to an RV park, unhitch, and be able to drive my truck like a normal vehicle. Then I can unpack lots of my RV living items and settle in for my work contract or winter. Each to his own, but as someone who has been living mobile for 3 years, I look back and am grateful I dodged the hype of the Van life.
    Last edited by Best Mexican Skier from Da South; 09-19-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Best Mexican Skier from Da South View Post
    The Van thing is a fad, and like many fads today, it doesn't make much sense in my opinion. I looked at vans in the beginning of my mobile life journey, and I couldn't justify the 150k for a small one piece travel vessel. So, I bought a nice diesel and brand new 5th wheel for about 105k. Truck is now paid off, and only owe 30k on the RV. And the space and comfortable living of the 5th wheel allows me to travel for work, and make bank while doing it.

I would have quit this non-stop traveling life had I been cooped up in a van the last 3 years. I love being able to get to an RV park, unhitch, and be able to drive my truck like a normal vehicle. Then I can unpack lots of my RV living items and settle in for my work contract or winter. Each to his own, but as someone who have been living mobile for 3 years, I look back and am grateful I dodged the hype of the Van life.
    If you "make bank", why do you owe $30k on an RV? lol

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    If you "make bank", why do you owe $30k on a tin can? lol
    Option 1. Bought 5th Wheel using mortgage style financing where the interest rate is lower than the expected return on many standard investments.
    Option 2. "Make bank" in this case means "make more money than I would in the same industry in a non-mobile position"

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Option 1. Bought 5th Wheel using mortgage style financing where the interest rate is lower than the expected return on many standard investments.
    Option 2. "Make bank" in this case means "make more money than I would in the same industry in a non-mobile position"
    fair response and points noted

I'm guessing most RV loans are not low interest though, but have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    If you "make bank", why do you owe $30k on an RV? lol
    Started out owing 105k 3 years ago for the truck/5th wheel combo while still taking a MINIMUM of 3 months off from work for shredding winters. That 105k is down to 30k even with winters off and a couple of trips to Europe in the mix. You do the math. Fucking smart ass.

The argument I was making was more of the 5th wheel vs van, and not the $. Since you bring up the $, in 5 years more of this traveling life, I'll be debt free and be able to buy a house out right (cash muhfukkah!) all while having probably the best years of my life skiing. LOL

You are correct, MarkusBrody.

Quote Originally Posted by Best Mexican Skier from Da South View Post
    Started out owing 105k 3 years ago for the truck/5th wheel combo while still taking a MINIMUM of 3 months off from work for shredding winters. That 105k is down to 30k even with winters off and a couple of trips to Europe in the mix. You do the math. Fucking smart ass.

The argument I was making was more of the 5th wheel vs van, and not the $. Since you bring up the $, in 5 years more of this traveling life, I'll be debt free and be able to buy a house out right (cash muhfukkah!) all while having probably the best years of my life skiing. LOL

You are correct, MarkusBrody.
    I thought it was mandatory to be a smartass here. And the making bank comment in context of the debt being discussed by other posters and your $30k comment seemed an opportunity too good to pass up. Skiing is good, debt free is good, text bravado like a teenager with a plan on Jagermeister is not good.

p.s. having more time to ski is a win no matter what in my mind
    Last edited by 3PinGrin; 09-19-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Winning. Well, actually that depends on the truck tire size and her bra size....

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    anyone here made it work with a dog? I'd like to be able to drive up to the mountains on saturday, stay overnight, and drive home sunday night, so I don't have to deal with i-70 traffic 4 times to ski two days. doggie daycare is $40 a day, and I don't have roommates etc.
    For the last 15 years all our vehicles have remote start. Ski by on the way to the lift, hit the button and the heater runs 15 minutes. Once mid morning, eat lunch in the car or RV then again mid afternoon.

ymmv but for me, driving something i can walk around in etc is a game changer..

most people need a vehicle, so why not something you can live in as well,

mine is simple, and well insulated. i did it myself. ~26g.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190923_153007.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	295016

Name:	MVIMG_20190923_152903.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	295017

Name:	IMG_20190923_153047.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	924.4 KB 
ID:	295018

Wait this is really smart... well done.

I’m curious if anyone has ever done anything with a Chinook? I’ve been scouting Toyama Chinooks for a while and they could have some promise in em.

We've discussed Toyota Chinooks many times. Gutless, rusts like crazy and RWD. Makes a good surf trip RV but you might as well park it in the winter because you will not be mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    ymmv but for me, driving something i can walk around in etc is a game changer..

most people need a vehicle, so why not something you can live in as well,

mine is simple, and well insulated. i did it myself. ~26g.

Name:	IMG_20190923_153007.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	295016

Name:	MVIMG_20190923_152903.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	295017

Name:	IMG_20190923_153047.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	924.4 KB 
ID:	295018
    i like your set up
    is that a faux DOT type designation to assist with poaching?
    i am betting you have some sort of blocker for driving compartment to dwelling, can you show?
    how are handling interior moisture buildup on windows?
    heat? or no
    p.s. that 333 ski is broken...
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Name:	AC46E5F8-072A-49D4-B4FD-1FAACEF99FC7.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	516.6 KB 
ID:	295101

Ha! yeah that ski cant lean against a wall w/o being broken!

no heat, black felt rolls down if needed.

considering a wave 3 this winter.

yeah i like numbers and letters, i ain't be putting dot on that shit though..

cool!

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    anyone here made it work with a dog? I'd like to be able to drive up to the mountains on saturday, stay overnight, and drive home sunday night, so I don't have to deal with i-70 traffic 4 times to ski two days. doggie daycare is $40 a day, and I don't have roommates etc.
    Creating a small den area that is covered with blankets will make it so the dog can heat his own small area effeciently. they make heat reflecting pads for cats and dogs that are basically survival blankets sewed into a padded blanket, so their body heat gets reflected back up to them. Make sure theyre well fed, and throw a doggy puffy jacket on them if needed. Make sure the car is roasting hot when you leave in the morning, and heat it back up at lunch.

At the end of the day, its up to your dog. Some are meant for cold weather, and some arent. Don't be a dick and subject a boxer to zero degrees, and don't worry too much about zero degrees if you have a malamut who is always hot.

been researching mammoth this season, came all over this.

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    i like your set up
    is that a faux DOT type designation to assist with poaching?
    i am betting you have some sort of blocker for driving compartment to dwelling, can you show?
    how are handling interior moisture buildup on windows?
    heat? or no
    p.s. that 333 ski is broken...
    no moisture build up unless crazy sez, also depends on regional climate, west is dry af for the most part.

10 day build w almost no tools in a friends garage, fun times. including purchase of vehicle.

The holy grail in my opinion but some folks might want a little more room. Wish I had the cash to bid on it
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Tiger-...IAAOSwn5JdllVG

Name:	CAB77F92-4CED-42EF-A70B-E763AD4C96A6.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	591.7 KB 
ID:	296835

wow that is cool!^

Yeah, that's pretty much perfect for what it is.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    The holy grail in my opinion but some folks might want a little more room. Wish I had the cash to bid on it
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Tiger-...IAAOSwn5JdllVG

Name:	CAB77F92-4CED-42EF-A70B-E763AD4C96A6.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	591.7 KB 
ID:	296835
    Provan Tigers rock for sure, it's not often you see an Astro version come up with AWD.
    Seems like it's in pretty good shape too, albeit completely original trim/equipment.
    I wonder what the reserve is?