Page 174 of 510 FirstFirst ... 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 ... LastLast
Results 4,326 to 4,350 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Attachment 264233
    2 maggot campers.

Left, 1995 Bigfoot 2500 11.5’

Right, 1996 Bigfoot 2500 10.6’ w/basement

both on 2002 gmt900 pickups with the 8.1l big block.

Twins?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I like. The 8.1L, too. Beastly. I'm assuming both trucks have the 8' bed?

ETA: the googlator tells me that the 8.1L only came in the GMT800 plaform.

I have a 96 3500 dually with the 8.1, best motor ever made. I also had a 79 gmc crewcab many years ago with a carbed version that was built by a drag race shop. It got some serious looks from deisel owners when I would pull out and pass them with a 35ft fifthwheel hooked on. It dynoed at 550hp and 600 torque.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post

I like. The 8.1L, too. Beastly. I'm assuming both trucks have the 8' bed?

ETA: the googlator tells me that the 8.1L only came in the GMT800 plaform.
    You're right, they are GMT800 not 900. 8.1 is awesome, if you do the math the low cost of purchase, low maintenance, cheap oil changes, and lower fuel prices compared to a diesel, it makes up for any MPG difference. 8.1 has a ton of power (nearly 500 ft lbs of torque off the line), and so far I'm averaging 12-15mpg even with the camper. Only a few points less than my 6.4 powerstoke but I can replace the entire engine in the Chevy for the price of a turbo or injection pump on the Ford. Also because there's no turbo lag, I think it puts around a lot nicer, much smoother application of power, etc.

Both have 8' beds, mine is an ext. cab, Steveski's is a 4 door.

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    I have a 96 3500 dually with the 8.1, best motor ever made. I also had a 79 gmc crewcab many years ago with a carbed version that was built by a drag race shop. It got some serious looks from deisel owners when I would pull out and pass them with a 35ft fifthwheel hooked on. It dynoed at 550hp and 600 torque.

wouldn't a 96 be the 7.4/454? In 2001 they lengthened the stoke, adding torques and another 50 cubes, thus the 8.1.

Anyone been overnight at Purgatory recently? We've never tried parking overnight in any of their lots. We're doing a Powderhorn/Purg loop next week using our Loveland pass days. Powderhorn is easy and allows camping in their lower paved lot with a killer view.

Any official/unofficial info would be appreciated.

And if they're strictly no, then where have you squatted overnight nearby? Please PM is you don't want to broadcast. Thanks!

Big block nerds! I love it. Does Chevy even make a big block now (I think 8.1s went to 2009)?

Not a big block or a bow tie but I'd like to throw a bone to the Ford 6.2. It's been around long enough that it is earning workhorse status. +/- 385 hps +/- 400 ft lbs and acceptable gas mileage.

I wouldn't give up the basement, but I like the low profile of the non-basement. Got pushed around a bit in 40-50mph gusts coming home yesterday.

I wonder how much of a difference the extra foot or so would even make though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

7.5 Ford van here. Wish I had better gearing but I'm happy with big block life.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Big block nerds! I love it. Does Chevy even make a big block now (I think 8.1s went to 2009)?

Not a big block or a bow tie but I'd like to throw a bone to the Ford 6.2. It's been around long enough that it is earning workhorse status. +/- 385 hps +/- 400 ft lbs and acceptable gas mileage.
    Nope, sadly it went the way of the dodo bird. It's too bad, I think a 7.0l VVT direct injection big block with a low boost turbo (5-10lb) could have been a monster workhorse motor that got equal fuel economy as a diesel without all the costly maintenance. But instead everyone is all about the diesel I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    I wouldn't give up the basement, but I like the low profile of the non-basement. Got pushed around a bit in 40-50mph gusts coming home yesterday.

I wonder how much of a difference the extra foot or so would even make though.

having had both, it's negligible but not having skis be a constant annoyance is very worthwhile. I would not go back fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    Is anyone still camping in Mary Jane or Copper lots? I'm looking into truck camper options for the family and doing a little research I see that Copper and WP may have but an end to camping.
    I wouldn't plan on either of those being reliable. Time to time people get away with it, but a truck camper with a family usually gonna get moved out. Plus do you like your kids being woken up at 5am for plowing/move your car?

I tried to edit my post and I deleted it... "
    Is anyone still camping in Mary Jane or Copper lots? I'm looking into truck camper options for the family and doing a little research I see that Copper and WP may have put an end to camping."

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I wouldn't plan on either of those being reliable. Time to time people get away with it, but a truck camper with a family usually gonna get moved out. Plus do you like your kids being woken up at 5am for plowing/move your car?
    We wake up now at 5am to get to ski team practice and races on time. At least they would be able to get back to sleep if we just had to move across the lot.

At WP and the Jane, the official policy is "no overnight parking". There are plenty of people doing it around and about and plenty of workarounds. I'll let you think about that and whether it is a sustainable plan for a family.

Quote Originally Posted by simglecross View Post
    Any reason not to pull a hard shell pop up like this A-liner? Wife and I both have got lots of trailer pulling experience with boats so backing/parking is a non-issue. Seems like you could set it up and then detach to use the tow rig to explore whatever area/ town we would be visiting. Tow rig would be a 2000 Landcruiser 100 series. Thinking of a lap on the Powder Highway next winter traveling from the East coast.
    A couple brings one of these to LLand relatively regularly. Never talked with them about it. They're towing with a Tundra or something like that IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    You're right, they are GMT800 not 900. 8.1 is awesome, if you do the math the low cost of purchase, low maintenance, cheap oil changes, and lower fuel prices compared to a diesel, it makes up for any MPG difference. 8.1 has a ton of power (nearly 500 ft lbs of torque off the line), and so far I'm averaging 12-15mpg even with the camper. Only a few points less than my 6.4 powerstoke but I can replace the entire engine in the Chevy for the price of a turbo or injection pump on the Ford. Also because there's no turbo lag, I think it puts around a lot nicer, much smoother application of power, etc.

Both have 8' beds, mine is an ext. cab, Steveski's is a 4 door.

wouldn't a 96 be the 7.4/454? In 2001 they lengthened the stoke, adding torques and another 50 cubes, thus the 8.1.
    Whoops you are correct

I will say this: ever since I decided no one ever gets a trailer to do very much skiing in (sunny, springtime stuff excluded), and ever since I got a truck camper, I see more and more trailers up at the mountain. I don't know if they're stopping to chain up or just picking their days.

We are completely locked in to certain days for skiing/traveling, so I still wouldn't want a trailer, but the point is some people are always doing it around the same days I am, and they're not dying.

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Whoops you are correct

Good motors either way. had I found a clean 454 truck for a reasonable price I would have done one of those.

I will say this: ever since I decided no one ever gets a trailer to do very much skiing in (sunny, springtime stuff excluded), and ever since I got a truck camper, I see more and more trailers up at the mountain. I don't know if they're stopping to chain up or just picking their days.

We are completely locked in to certain days for skiing/traveling, so I still wouldn't want a trailer, but the point is some people are always doing it around the same days I am, and they're not dying.

Yeah but I like to imagine all my days will be 2" per hour chains required all vehicles except 4wd trailers spun off the road type days. My ski quiver reflects this as well.

also at my local hill, truck campers are free, trailers are $20 per night

Putting aside any issues with driving a trailer in the winter, I see the main benefit of bringing a trailer being that you can drop it at camp and have an unencumbered vehicle for driving around. But at least for my ski trips and winter camping excursions, I wouldn't really do that. I drive to some mountain pass and camp there for a couple days while I tour. Or drive to some resort and ski there, with maybe a quick drive to town for dinner. The vehicle doesn't move that much, so being able to drop the camper doesn't gain me a lot.

In the summer, on the other hand, I'm much more likely to set up a camp and then drive all over the place in that area. Set up camp in moab and use the truck to drive around to various trailheads and run shuttles. For that, being able to drop the trailer is a huge benefit.

Does anyone have experience with Jayco Sportsters and care to share their thoughts? I'm looking at getting a 94 for fairly cheap, $1500 is the asking price. I've owned an E250 with a penthouse top, so know it will take some insulating when popped up to keep comfortable. Anyone use one in winter? It would be going on a 4.0 Tacoma.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Putting aside any issues with driving a trailer in the winter, I see the main benefit of bringing a trailer being that you can drop it at camp and have an unencumbered vehicle for driving around. But at least for my ski trips and winter camping excursions, I wouldn't really do that. I drive to some mountain pass and camp there for a couple days while I tour. Or drive to some resort and ski there, with maybe a quick drive to town for dinner. The vehicle doesn't move that much, so being able to drop the camper doesn't gain me a lot.

In the summer, on the other hand, I'm much more likely to set up a camp and then drive all over the place in that area. Set up camp in moab and use the truck to drive around to various trailheads and run shuttles. For that, being able to drop the trailer is a huge benefit.
    Yes indeed. But in a pinch, truck camper could be dropped as well, depending on how skilled one is with reloading. No comparison in terms of time, effort, and potential frustration though. I hate messing with my jacks out in the field.

My truck takes about 15 -20 minutes to unload or load with electric jacks. it's really nice. old hydraulic jacks took a long time.

Thanks for the insight regarding trailers and the requirement to chain up in certain areas and conditions. We don't consider that on the East Coast. Would 4wd with studded tires on all wheels (including the trailer) get around the chain up requirement I wonder? We'd be coming from Maine where studded snow tires are legal and if I remember my time in Tahoe correctly, my studded snows and awd got me out of the chain up requirements. Guess I've got some research to do.

Thanks for the insight regarding trailers and the requirement to chain up in certain areas and conditions. We don't consider that on the East Coast. Would 4wd with studded tires on all wheels (including the trailer) get around the chain up requirement I wonder? We'd be coming from Maine where studded snow tires are legal and if I remember my time in Tahoe correctly, my studded snows and awd got me out of the chain up requirements. Guess I've got some research to do.
    No. Western states can be quite strict about chains on vehicles with trailers, as often it's not a ski area access road but rather a major highway you're driving on to go ski and therefore if you wreck you cost the state millions of dollars in lost commerce if the highway is blocked. Not sure on Canada but I would say studs or no studs I would not want to drive Canadian mountain passes with a trailer. Rodgers Pass in a heavy snowstorm is gnarly in a AWD vehicle with studded snows, you couldn't pay me to do it with a trailer.

Trailer generally means chains regardless.
    Truck over certain GVWR require chains regardless of load/tires in certain conditions (touchy subject in WA this winter).

I'd plan on carrying chains either way.

I'd personally much rather have a slide in then a trailer in 99% of winter conditions.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You guys would be amazed at the size of the trailers that I see snowmobilers tow on Rabbit Ears and Togwotee passes. Massive RVs towing them. Lol those rednecks are braver than us.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    You guys would be amazed at the size of the trailers that I see snowmobilers tow on Rabbit Ears and Togwotee passes. Massive RVs towing them. Lol those rednecks are braver than us.
    hold my beer