Page 158 of 510 FirstFirst ... 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 ... LastLast
Results 3,926 to 3,950 of 12727
    Logical, useful, and appreciated. Makes sense!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

this is the coolest bus I’ve ever seen. just spotted in Moab and Vermont plates too
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7399.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	253813

Name:	IMG_7398.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	738.5 KB 
ID:	253814
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Worried about this, yes.
    Bed, ski rack, heat, inverter for boot dryers, ventilation, stripper pole. I can worry about other non-essentials later.
    Stop worrying and start living - https://www.commercialtrucktrader.co...450-5002459602

Sweet.... preinstalled stripper pole. That thing is ready to rock.

That party bus is sending mixed messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Just so we're clear on the points made on pop-up vs hardside in the PNW, mattig & others...

West of the Cascade crest in WA and OR, winter weather is too consistently wet for the fabrics of a pop-up to dry. They mildew and rot in like two or three years if kept outside. Indoor parking is just about mandatory, where the camper can be popped and dried fully after each outing.

East of the crest... not a problem, and youbetcha I'd have one if I lived out there, or anywhere in the Rockies or Southwest. Warmth isn't a huge problem for hardy skifolk, though the 4-season hardsides are way easier to keep warm for wives and chiles.

Less critical, though still a factor for ski camping, is the snow loading. I've seen Big Steve's nice FWC sag alarmingly under a foot of heavy pow at Alpy, to the point that I'd be afraid to sleep in such a space. Two feet of 20% density snow, on the area of my camper roof, weighs over 3000 pounds.

The best conditions to have a ski camper include the max nuke stormage, but in heavy and abundant coastal pow, popups are a chore to constantly clear.

Here's my rig at Alpy, for reference:

Attachment 253716
    I’ve been sleeping in a FWC popup for the last three seasons in PNW snowpack. It is a bit more of a chore than a hard side to keep clear during big dumps. However, having a first generation Tacoma, a hard side is out of the question. I have a forced air propane furnace and rock a generator for the batteries in the winter. This allows me to stay out for up to 5 days with no regard to propane use, longer if I was careful. Condensation is always an issue in the winter no matter if you’re sporting hard side or pop up. I’ve never been wet though.
    My routine looks like this. Wake up turn on heater make coffee. Wipe down the ceiling and around the edges for condensation. Crank up heat and open roof vents a bit. Dress. Shovel roof. Turn off heat and go ride. Come home. Shovel roof (5min), fire up generator. Change into camp clothes. Dry ski/snowmobile gear out on boot dryer/rack. Eat dinner. Go out one last time before bed, pull snow off roof, turn off generator and sleep. Repeat till done. Only a few times have I had to get up in the middle of the night to pull snow off during huge storms. But when it’s dark at 430 and your asleep by 8 getting up at 3am is no big deal. Generator, boot dryer and forced air furnace are key to keeping dry and batteries happy.

Name:	IMG_2466.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	617.3 KB 
ID:	253828

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
    I’ve been sleeping in a FWC popup for the last three seasons in PNW snowpack. It is a bit more of a chore than a hard side to keep clear during big dumps. However, having a first generation Tacoma, a hard side is out of the question. I have a forced air propane furnace and rock a generator for the batteries in the winter. This allows me to stay out for up to 5 days with no regard to propane use, longer if I was careful. Condensation is always an issue in the winter no matter if you’re sporting hard side or pop up. I’ve never been wet though.
    My routine looks like this. Wake up turn on heater make coffee. Wipe down the ceiling and around the edges for condensation. Crank up heat and open roof vents a bit. Dress. Shovel roof. Turn off heat and go ride. Come home. Shovel roof (5min), fire up generator. Change into camp clothes. Dry ski/snowmobile gear out on boot dryer/rack. Eat dinner. Go out one last time before bed, pull snow off roof, turn off generator and sleep. Repeat till done. Only a few times have I had to get up in the middle of the night to pull snow off during huge storms. But when it’s dark at 430 and your asleep by 8 getting up at 3am is no big deal. Generator, boot dryer and forced air furnace are key to keeping dry and batteries happy.

Name:	IMG_2466.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	617.3 KB 
ID:	253828

How dare you complicate a decision I thought I'd already made with logic and first hand experience?!

Can any pop-up mag comment on noise annoyance factor from snow plows, etc?

Name:	IMG_0140.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	602.6 KB 
ID:	253830

How do manage the post-trip dry-out period with your rig? Got a dry place to park?

Mattig... even the hardsides are not going to keep out the noises of plows, neighbors, groomers, etc.

How do manage the post-trip dry-out period with your rig? Got a dry place to park?

Mattig... even the hardsides are not going to keep out the noises of plows, neighbors, groomers, etc.
    Yeah, I know, but trying to get a feel for the improvement. For the money, I'm pretty well sold on the Capri at this point. Especially since they'll fully customize and ship it to within a day's drive of me by early December.

That way I can build it out to be the true "one night only" camper I need.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    How dare you complicate a decision I thought I'd already made with logic and first hand experience?!

Can any pop-up mag comment on noise annoyance factor from snow plows, etc?

2 words ear plugs! I wear them even when there are no snow plows around in my hard side. IME the heater fan kicking on and off is as annoying as the plows.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

My "Arctic Package" insulated soft side does a good job of retaining heat but not so good at keeping out noise. Ear plugs are the answer. The propane furnace makes a noise as well but it is the sound of warmth and comfort.

It’s a task but I spend an inordinate amount of time in my. I commute to work and stay in it. This is at sea level and the condensation isn’t as bad down there and gives me time to air out. I’ve got my venting system down and one of those fast drying towels I wipe up condensation with every morning. It takes just a minute. Then I just blast the heater and kick on the roof vents. It all seems to evaporate fine. When there are more than two people is when it gets tight and funky. I’ll bring in the mattress and dry it out inside if needed. Never really seems to need it. Three years and hundreds of nights and it still smells fresh as a daisy. Keeping a positive temp gradient and airflow is the key. Is a full size camper and truck better? Yes. But I’m rocking this setup and with a little maintenance, shit is dialed.

WC, sounds like a good routine, pretty similar to ours. We have a 2014 FWC Hawk, which replaced a 2000 Hawk I bought used in 2004. On longer mid-winter trips, we strip off the Arctic Pack liner each day and towel off the canvas. On warmer (<20F) sunny winter days, we strip off the AP liner and open the top vents and canvas screens while we ski. On very cold days, we blast the furnace at the warmest/sunniest part of the day (mid-afternoon, usually) to melt any frozen condensation, then towel off. It's not that much of a hassle, maybe 15-20 minutes a day at most, often less.

Dealing with condensation and minimizing odors are keys to prolonging RV life. We cook outside when possible, have a single burner Coleman stove top fueled by one of the camper propane tanks. (FWCs now come with two propane tanks.) We change up our fare for winter trips. No frying inside. We use travel mugs for coffee, put the lids on ASAP to cap steam.

I store our FWC Hawk inside our shop building, making it easy to dry it out between trips.

I have an econo size box of foam ear plugs for wood working etc, but man I couldn't envision sleeping in them. Does it even really help? I mean if you can carry on a normal conversation with them how does it muffle a heater? I thought they were only for sharp noises with excessive decibels.

Sweet pics WestCoast

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    I have an econo size box of foam ear plugs for wood working etc, but man I couldn't envision sleeping in them. Does it even really help? I mean if you can carry on a normal conversation with them how does it muffle a heater?
    It really helps me, although FTR I use only one ear plug because I am single-side deaf (had my inner ear removed and #8 cranial nerve severed 5+ years ago). I cannot carry on a conversation at normal levels with properly installed high NRR ear plug -- I can hear a soft muzzled tone but cannot detect words. Are you installing them properly, i.e., enlarge ear canal by pulling up top of ear with opposite arm over top of head during install? See pic below. (Be sure to pack tweezers if a plug gets too deep in your ear canal.) IME, some types and brands have higher noise reduction ratings (NRR). My current favorite is Mack's Snore Blockers, which have a high NRR (32) and ruffles on the outside end for easier removal with fingernails. Leight Sleepers also work well for me.

I sleep like the dead, no need for plugs personally. At work I sleep at an airport in my popup. Snow plows ain’t got shit on an airplane or helicopter spoolin up.
    Geezer, that’s the same rules I have in regard to cooking in the camper. I heat up leftovers or soup and grill cheese type thing. I really love the maneuverability of these little campers. Light and fast.

For sure installed correctly, but I have the standard home depot type. I think they have a noise rating listed but been a while since I looked. When I shoot I use over ear mufflers.

Got me curious enough to go look, they are NRR 29

Geezer, that’s the same rules I have in regard to cooking in the camper. I heat up leftovers or soup and grill cheese type thing.
    Well you're welcome to come over to my ol beater camper, where the bacon is fresh... lol

I will have a nice pop-up one day... your rig is a nice size for 1+dog. Butt for now I'm happy to have this sagging ol horse to put away wet.

Difrt strokes n styles... I appreciate them all.

So is mattig gonna spend $15k on some slick custom???

Well you're welcome to come over to my ol beater camper, where the bacon is fresh... lol

I will have a nice pop-up one day... your rig is a nice size for 1+dog. Butt for now I'm happy to have this sagging ol horse to put away wet.

There’s certainly something to be said about having a beater truck and camper. Rock whachoogot.

They got a nice one on their site for 11k.

But for how stripped down i'd order it a new one wouldn't be much more

There’s certainly something to be said about having a beater truck and camper. Rock whachoogot.
    Norseman's truck is not a beater. That's his alter ego dirtbag anti-poser hippie trying to trick you

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    ...Dealing with condensation and minimizing odors are keys to prolonging RV life.

I store our FWC Hawk inside our shop building, making it easy to dry it out between trips.
    We run a dehumidifier after skiing to dry gear out while camping. When parked at home in the shop we leave a dehumidifier with auto on settings plugged in 24/7.

Webasto diesel heaters are the shit. I have six ducts throughout the van, and can keep it as warm as I want. Mine is plumbed straight from the main 26 gal tank but some prefer a separate tank filled with kerosene.

At any rate...quiet, uses very little electricity, and even on sub-zero nights I’m using 1/4 to maybe 1/2 gallon of diesel. 100 amp-hr solar battery gets charged when I’m driving, so I never need or think about a generator.

20+ days of no hotels in a season saves $$$$ quickly.

The Webasto automatically varies the flow depending on the difference between set point and interior temp. So if the van interior is already warmish from driving or parking facing the sun, the heater right away operates at a low setting that you can barely hear.

I insulated roof / walls with 1 to 1.5” thick rigid foam, and all interior metal is covered by thick synthetic fuzzy felt, so no condensation issues at all except front windshield which I squeegee off in the morning.

Name:	8BDFF084-43BC-43F9-9C08-738BF5BD16DC.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	716.5 KB 
ID:	253963
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

These are the ear plugs you want. Silicone based so they mold to your inner ear, tear them in half so they don't protude, come in a handy case you can leave on your nightstand. I keep a pair in my winter sleeping bag zip at all times. Amazing when you have a snoring girlfriend too...
    https://www.amazon.ca/Speedo-Silicon...55159507&psc=1