Page 66 of 510 FirstFirst ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 12727

wiring questions

After looking at 3, picked this one, paid $1400. If I had wanted to tinker a bit, could have gotten one pretty similar, a bit cheaper.

Cold and wet outside, warm and dry inside

P.O. used propane fridge, heating and cooking, and either plugged in, or used a lantern for lighting.

I would like this thing to be wired with 12 volt as well, and started investigating. It is all rigged up, but not sure how to proceed.

On the inside is a converter type box with:

On the outside of the camper, front, driver side corner, is a 3 way plug:

I ran some wire from the plug to the box, to ascertain which is which. Used a continuity tester. Not an expert in this
    My tester, either gives a nice tone, nothing at all, or a number.
    Nice tone = good.
    Nothing at all = bad.
    Number = don't know much about it, except lower is better.

Black on plug to red on box is good. this makes sense.
    The plastic sheathed prong on the plug, shown in pic, I assume is a ground wire. So- Ground on plug to ground (white) on box is good.

So far, so good. the next part throw me off.
    White on flat plug to white on box gives resistance of ,050 ish

It seems like if I installed a battery in the truck, put an isolator in, and went wired a 3 way for the plug to plug into, I would be set, but that would not be my first choice.

There is a "systems area" toward the front of the camper with a fuse box, a water tank, and ample space for a battery. In a perfect world, I would put a battery in there, run it off my truck trailer wiring. I have a 7 way, and a 7 to 4 adapter.

As far as a temporary solution: What would happen if I put a 12 volt power supply/jump starter
    Straight to the fuse box?

We have lived full time in our 36' triple slide fifth wheel for 18 months, but we miss our pop up truck camper we used to have. So today, we smoked the crack pipe heavily and came home with a Kodiak (Canadian version of the Bigfoot). Full fiberglass body/roof, bathroom, shower, standard truck camper stuff. Weighs 1900 on the truck scales. Now we have our basecamp (fifth wheel), and our mobile camp (truck camper). This thing is pimp inside and out.

Just do it right the first time. Wire from the truck battery to a separator and a deep cycle AGM battery in the camper. Only a few hours to do that kind of install, plus whatever wiring you want to do in the camper. It'll work the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    So today, we smoked the crack pipe heavily and came home with a Kodiak (Canadian version of the Bigfoot).
    Bigfoot is Canadian 100%, built in Armstrong BC just north of Vernon. I know, Im on my second one, did not get rid of the first one, mother nature took it away in a flood. I can tell you from your picture that your camper is nothing like a bigfoot other then it is made out of fibreglass. Not knocking your choice, Im sure it is awesome and you will have a great time with it. Just wanted to clear the air since Bigfoot is my personal favourite and first choice.
    Man, It was great...

Yup, I know it's not a Bigfoot. Thanks.

This Kodiak is Canadian. Built by Peak with the name Vacationaire.

I just sleep in the back of my Land Cruiser. As I have since 1985. Oh wait, maybe it's a cultural thing....

Yup, I know it's not a Bigfoot. Thanks.

This Kodiak is Canadian. Built by Peak with the name Vacationaire.
    Just looked them up, nice rig. Looks well built for sure. Built in Saskatchewan up until 2003. Built to withstand Hailstorms they said. Should be awesome for trail heading.
    Man, It was great...

More pics..........

Read the article on the TGR camera guy that built a Tiny house and is living at the RV lot in Jackson yesterday.

What is the monthly cost at an RV lot in the US with power/water hookups? RV lot in Whistler is like 1200 a month (they do say to call for reduced long term rates so likely lower) at that kinda price you might as well rent.

Trackhead what's the economic benefit of living in the RV? If I recall you had a house in SLC prior to this.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post

Trackhead what's the economic benefit of living in the RV? If I recall you had a house in SLC prior to this.

I am an ER nurse and travel for work, making double or more than what I do as a staff nurse.

Good lookin' rig, trackhead

New wife Anita and I are jazzed to hit the road Xmas day for a week in our new FWC Hawk, would be even more jazzed if there was some goddam snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Good lookin' rig, trackhead

New wife Anita and I are jazzed to hit the road Xmas day for a week in our new FWC Hawk, would be even more jazzed if there was some goddam snow.
    I'm embracing global warming and currently living in the Sonoran Desert.................

Track, How is the life of a traveller? Know you're making more Utah nursing wages! That's yer kid? He is getting big!
    carpe diem vita brevis

Quote Originally Posted by yabyum View Post
    Track, How is the life of a traveller? Know you're making more Utah nursing wages! That's yer kid? He is getting big!
    It's good. One income, plenty of money, non working spouse, 4 days off a week, freedom to be completely non-committal to location or mood. Only big drawback is big RV's suck in cold temps because of low R values and expensive propane heat. So skiing for two years hasn't happened. We might be moving to a temperate location close to the mountains and the ocean so I can ski again, and make a bit more money too. But overall, travelling is a great way to be irresponsible and responsible at the same time. We still have our house in SLC as back up, if and when we move back there.......................

Glad the dough is good, maybe volcanoes in your future? The kid looks he has snow in his DNA.
    carpe diem vita brevis

It's good. One income, plenty of money, non working spouse, 4 days off a week, freedom to be completely non-committal to location or mood. Only big drawback is big RV's suck in cold temps because of low R values and expensive propane heat. So skiing for two years hasn't happened. We might be moving to a temperate location close to the mountains and the ocean so I can ski again, and make a bit more money too. But overall, travelling is a great way to be irresponsible and responsible at the same time. We still have our house in SLC as back up, if and when we move back there.......................
    Here is something for you to seriously consider if your rv is plugged into power. Wayyy cheaper then propane. Kind of ingenious really.
    http://www.rvcomfortsystems.com
    Man, It was great...

Quote Originally Posted by 2stix View Post
    Here is something for you to seriously consider if your rv is plugged into power. Wayyy cheaper then propane. Kind of ingenious really.
    http://www.rvcomfortsystems.com
    Thanks for the link. That's pretty cool. We run on 50 amp, and in the park we are in now, electricity is flat rate, so we use ceramic heaters. I can't stand propane forced air heaters because they are loud, wonder if this unit is any quieter.

I might put a 400w wall heater in my truck camper to run at night. Silent, electric, can run it off a remote 1000w generator if needed. Forced air heaters in truck campers are obnoxious. A diesel Webasto heater would be a dream.

From what I understand, they use the rv's existing ducting and fan, but they add a variable speed control to the fan. I guess so you can run the heater longer, or continuos to keep everything toasty. So I guess if the noise you don't like is the fan, then…
    They also have a model that goes into the ductless radiant heater you got in the camper as well.
    Man, It was great...

My wife and I are both RNs, and thinking of traveling with a small RV. Our plan is to go to places with family or friends for 2-3 month stretches so we can take the skis and bikes and have the RV, but also the ability to stay in a house part of the time as well.

Nice to hear of others with similar ideas and making them happen.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    My wife and I are both RNs, and thinking of traveling with a small RV. Our plan is to go to places with family or friends for 2-3 month stretches so we can take the skis and bikes and have the RV, but also the ability to stay in a house part of the time as well.

Nice to hear of others with similar ideas and making them happen.
    We did a job in Gig Harbor at St. Anthony hospital last year. Had a blast out there, even if it was during the rainy season.

Travel nursing is good/bad. My suggestion is make sure you have at least three months savings before you embark. Things can happen that are out of your control that can really suck (cancelled contracts, etc). We've had one cancelled contract before it started, after driving 1100 miles. And the current one almost got cancelled for administrative snafus. That said, jobs are dime a dozen these days. Easy to get another assignment in less than a week.

Finally had a chance to work on my ladder ski rack, and I'm getting ready to head south for the weekend. The concept was a little better than the actual implementation... and I might need to come up with a different system for trying to load multiple pairs of skis into vertical racks. Not easy.

I also finally caved and reflectex'd the windows. It's totally claustrophobic, but hopefully it'll be a little warmer.

The back of our camper was a shit show in winter (and summer on gravel roads). You plan on wrapping those skis? Otherwise a few weeks long winter trip will likely annihilate your bindings and edges.

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
    The back of our camper was a shit show in winter (and summer on gravel roads). You plan on wrapping those skis? Otherwise a few weeks long winter trip will likely annihilate your bindings and edges.
    X2 Ski bags are a must.

Thanks. This time of year, I'm really only out for the weekend, and I figured if it's anything but snow, I can put them inside while I'm on the road. The nice thing about the racks is that it will be a safe, locking place to put them when we're in the camper.

I'll look into some cheap ski bags as well. Hit me up if you have a couple laying around.

“THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.” HST