Page 262 of 510 FirstFirst ... 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 ... LastLast
Results 6,526 to 6,550 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Bullshit. If anything this is THE year: The year to defer IKON, pick up an Indypass or just shell out, and slink around off-the-beaten-path. The only caution I would offer is on the unknown class-C. Unless you're familiar with RV life, and specifically YOUR rig's winter vulnerabilities, jumping in feet-first on an unknown entity and then depending on it for shelter in harsh winter environs is...not the greatest idea. Are your pipes insulated? Be a shitty way to find out they're not when your shitter backs up and you can't wash dishes because they froze/burst...
    This is exactly what I’m afraid of. I just don’t think I have enough time to just buy a rig and figure out it’s quirks. I’d love to be able to jump in one and know how to trust it but I just know that’s not realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kootenai View Post
    Slight thread drift.... Wondering if you have any regrets with the FWD on the promaster. I know there's been some comments about a full build with FWD being troublesome in the snow. What is your experience?
    No personal experience, but I have 3 friends with promasters who drive them regularly to ski and with correct tires and caution they do just fine.

Kinda obvious but IMO: 4x4 > FWD > RWD (for vans). And price point will play a big role in where you end up on that spectrum.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I think for me what it comes down to is trying to figure out what to do when my lease is up. I pay a ridiculous amount for rent and 4 months in a Class C would be way cheaper factoring in equity.

I could also just move somewhere cheaper temporarily- but where? I was thinking Bellingham could be fun for Mt. Baker. I actually don’t mind shacking up somewhere and I do want to do about 50/50 touring / resort (or even more touring if I got good partners).

Other options seem like Mammoth or Big Sky. It would be sweet to spin on the lifts for an hour or two per day, do some early morning tours, and then have weekends to do what I want.

I’m sort of ruling out Tahoe (packed from SF), JH (can’t get a season pass), SLC (packed also), and CO (packed on front range and dangerous winter conditions).

Maybe I’m missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would suggest moving to a smaller but awesome ski hill that's not in ikon or epic and getting a winter rental in town and just enjoying the skiing and life. Chase storms in your car nearby.
    Have you ever lived and worked from an RV? Have you ever driven one?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Not at the scale of what most of the rigs I see here but I got a new subcompact minivan that I can sleep in for Hokkaido trailhead and hot spring parking lot access. It's a Honda Freed+ Hybrid AWD based on the Fit platform. Pinching myself that my spouse agreed to buy it. The back folds flat and is 180 cm long. I'm 182 cm long and a side sleeper so it will work. There is storage under the deck too for boots. 189 cm skis slide all the way in under the folded down back seat. Sound system kicks ass (nav system sucks balls but they all do here and iphone is way better) and it has window visors that will allow me to crack the windows for sleeping most nights that aren't blizzards. Gets up to 22 km/l, or about 60 mpg. We just took it on a quick road trip from Sapporo to Kitami and back, about 5-6 hours each way. Got 50 mpg. It is easily the nicest car I've ever owned.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8214.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	344542

Name:	IMG_8215.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	344543

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Quote Originally Posted by Kootenai View Post
    Slight thread drift.... Wondering if you have any regrets with the FWD on the promaster. I know there's been some comments about a full build with FWD being troublesome in the snow. What is your experience?
    missed this earlier but also FWD promaster owner here and it's done well for us.
    Husband's daily driver in Jackson, WY. They don't use salt here so we basically drive on packed snow roads all winter and we've never had an issue.
    We did not feel the need to go with a 4WD -the promaster replaced a VW eurovan which was FWD that we'd been driving and road tripping in for many yrs with np so it was a no brainer
    We do also have a tank, or rather an AWD volvo but we've never opted to take that over the van due to snow conditions so that's saying something
    I'd maybe consider 4WD more if I lived in the PNW or someplace where the snow was heavier/ wetter? but maybe not even then

We were in the desert this past week and did some offroading and while getting shaken around, had the conversation if we would be better off with the 4WD van and again came to the conclusion that it wouldn't have altered where we go. The more limiting factor for any camper van is that when you have that much stuff in it, you are limited more by wanting to preserve all your sh*t inside that's banging around
    Some people have commented that when vans get too built out they're heavier over the rear axel and that can change the feel of the FWD too so something to consider, but we built ours out fairly simply with lots of space for our bikes inside so we're not rolling too too heavy so I think that helps.
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by telepariah View Post
    Honda Freed+ Hybrid AWD based on the Fit platform.
    Nice! I rented an AWD Fit with snow tires on Hokkaido. Got two pairs of skis in the back with the seats folded down. One of the best snow cars I have ever driven.
    Last edited by altasnob; 10-23-2020 at 09:23 AM.

Not at the scale of what most of the rigs I see here but I got a new subcompact minivan that I can sleep in for Hokkaido trailhead and hot spring parking lot access. It's a Honda Freed+ Hybrid AWD based on the Fit platform. P
    Looks like a pretty cool car. We saw some small Honda AWDs in the UK a few years ago. Bummer we don't have them in the US

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    missed this earlier but also FWD promaster owner here and it's done well for us.
    Husband's daily driver in Jackson, WY.
    What tires do you have on the promaster? Has ground clearance ever been an issue?

Not at the scale of what most of the rigs I see here but I got a new subcompact minivan that I can sleep in for Hokkaido trailhead and hot spring parking lot access. It's a Honda Freed+ Hybrid AWD based on the Fit platform. Pinching myself that my spouse agreed to buy it. The back folds flat and is 180 cm long. I'm 182 cm long and a side sleeper so it will work. There is storage under the deck too for boots. 189 cm skis slide all the way in under the folded down back seat. Sound system kicks ass (nav system sucks balls but they all do here and iphone is way better) and it has window visors that will allow me to crack the windows for sleeping most nights that aren't blizzards. Gets up to 22 km/l, or about 60 mpg. We just took it on a quick road trip from Sapporo to Kitami and back, about 5-6 hours each way. Got 50 mpg. It is easily the nicest car I've ever owned.
    60mpg!!

We rented a Toyota Vitz AWD in Hokkaido last winter, which I assume is a competitor to the Fit. It wasn't quite Subaru quality snow-handling but that thing got two people and ski gear all over the island in January. I love that rental cars in Hokkado have winter tires - it just makes too much sense.

little Honda van looks excellent

that little japanese minivan sounds sweet. I like that they have the storage underneath too- makes it so much easier to sleep in

Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    What tires do you have on the promaster? Has ground clearance ever been an issue?
    Cooper Discoverers - Believe the thicker ply for the extra weight.
    I mean, it's not a lifted truck, but we do like to get off the beaten path. So while the rear axel thing is weird, it has never held us back from where we wanted to go
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    I would suggest moving to a smaller but awesome ski hill that's not in ikon or epic and getting a winter rental in town and just enjoying the skiing and life. Chase storms in your car nearby.
    Have you ever lived and worked from an RV? Have you ever driven one?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    Did a weeklong trip in one in the Canadian Rockies two winters in a row. Class C with 4 dudes. Really not that bad to drive in rural areas and I think with good internet, a generator, and heat not that bad to work in either. But alas, finding a good one and getting it setup how I want would be a heck of a lot of work and seems like I'm going to pass on it for now.

Wondering if anyone else has been down this road on these: Having a problem with a Dometic fridge 15 mos after bringing trailer home. Believe trailer had 1 yr warranty on internals and 3 structural [Can’t get ahold of or heard back from Dometic warranty department or the service depart at the place I bought it yet]. So far, searching online turns up no troubleshooting and the manual says take to servicer for everything basically. I’ve checked breakers, fuses, and I’m getting power to that point but not fridge.
    Are these generally units that you replace internals or are forced to replace whole?

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Are these generally units that you replace internals or are forced to replace whole?
    Is it throwing a code via a blinking light? My RV fridge (cant remember brand name of fridge) has a list of what the blinking light pattern means in it's manual. Not sure if yours has that feature.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Did a weeklong trip in one in the Canadian Rockies two winters in a row. Class C with 4 dudes. Really not that bad to drive in rural areas and I think with good internet, a generator, and heat not that bad to work in either. But alas, finding a good one and getting it setup how I want would be a heck of a lot of work and seems like I'm going to pass on it for now.
    Something to consider if you do end up going that route; many of the newer RVs and campers now have built-in propane generators that pull from the propane tanks. This saves you from having to carry around a separate generator w/fuel. And some are pre-wired and/or plumbed to accept an LNG generator.

As I look at my winter travel plans, I'll be forced to lug around my Honda generator w/fuel. I'm not terribly stoked on the idea, but it should get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Fiedler View Post
    Is it throwing a code via a blinking light? My RV fridge (cant remember brand name of fridge) has a list of what the blinking light pattern means in it's manual. Not sure if yours has that feature.
    Unfortunately its not powering up at all, nor am I seeing a light key in the manual. Appreciate the idea

Unfortunately its not powering up at all, nor am I seeing a light key in the manual. Appreciate the idea
    Does it work on the propane setting?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Does it work on the propane setting?
    No

blown fuse?

So it’s completely dead? No clicking pilot spark?

Yes completely dead, no spark. No panel lighting. Fuse good

Check the back of the fridge from outside; there’s usually another fuse on the circuit board.

Wondering if anyone else has been down this road on these: Having a problem with a Dometic fridge 15 mos after bringing trailer home. Believe trailer had 1 yr warranty on internals and 3 structural [Can’t get ahold of or heard back from Dometic warranty department or the service depart at the place I bought it yet]. So far, searching online turns up no troubleshooting and the manual says take to servicer for everything basically. I’ve checked breakers, fuses, and I’m getting power to that point but not fridge.
    I've replaced the command module on mine - check with dinosaur electronics for replacement over OEM if available. Easy to replace the AC heating element. Not to hard to see if the unit is getting power from either the battery for DC & propane operation, or AC. Propane system isn't too hard to research either. Never played with the actual coolant system - probably the only part of the system I wouldn't try to repair. Not enough from your post to go on, but there are a plethora of RV forums out there that probably have discussions for your particular model to help guide the diagnosis and repair.
    Also, it took a bit of internet sleuthing, but I was able to find the service manual for my Dometic. Their website was a nightmare to search through, and can't remember if I found that manual through them or another 3rd party. But they do exist

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    I've replaced the command module on mine - check with dinosaur electronics for replacement over OEM if available. Easy to replace the AC heating element. Not to hard to see if the unit is getting power from either the battery for DC & propane operation, or AC. Propane system isn't too hard to research either. Never played with the actual coolant system - probably the only part of the system I wouldn't try to repair. Not enough from your post to go on, but there are a plethora of RV forums out there that probably have discussions for your particular model to help guide the diagnosis and repair.
    Also, it took a bit of internet sleuthing, but I was able to find the service manual for my Dometic. Their website was a nightmare to search through, and can't remember if I found that manual through them or another 3rd party. But they do exist
    Thanks for the info

Inside the back of the Freed. Skis in there for scale. The red Backland 107s are 189 cm and the green Backland 102 FRs are 180. The back isn't actually totally flat. It has a bridge over a gap between the top of the folded back seat and the deck in the far back that raises that middle section by 2 cm. So I have some floor mats cut to fit on either side of that to level it out. On top of that I'll have another 2 cm of exercise mat and then my sleeping pad, which raises my head up enough to sleep comfortably against the inclined bottom of the back seat, which flips forward to allow the seat back to fold flat. Yeah, it could have been the bigger Step Wagon, but that costs about $10,000 more. This will work. I just need to be able to haul my gear and sleep in it.

Name:	IMG_8289.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	344674

Name:	IMG_8291.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	344675

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Just picked up this bad boy a couple weeks ago and in the process of building it into a ski/mtb mobile. I figure this will make it much easier to justify driving around the country chasing storms as I don’t need to worry about hotels/AirBnbs and such.

2013 Chevy Express AWD. Attachment 343541
    stoked for you! post pics of your progress

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    And your mom didn’t mind it last night, either...
    Strong execution well played!

Sent from a van down by the river
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?