Page 109 of 510 FirstFirst ... 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 12727
    2x6v Golf cart batteries from Costco, wired in series, yield me about 220 ah. If you have space(a bit taller than group 24) and payload (60lbs each), it's a reliable, less-expensive way to get a lot of juice for dry camping. They will require occasional maintenence, i.e. checking the electrolyte and adding water.

AGM are nice no doubt, but my research led me to believe I'd get better service out of the thicker plates in the GC2.

How much are decent Astro vans going for these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Could you fine folks please recommend a good battery to serve as house juice in my little 8.5ft Northern Lite? I'm out of the loop and just beginning research.
    Glass mat ones sound good on paper.
    I bought an Excide AGM battery, working good so far. Campingworld.com has good deals on RV batteries.

Kai's setup is sweet but since your truck is a 1/2 ton I might aim for a single 12 volt battery to keep weight down.

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    AGM are nice no doubt, but my research led me to believe I'd get better service out of the thicker plates in the GC2.
    I've had both, the difference is nominal.
    In my case getting to the batteries to add water was problematic, AGM basically removed that issue altogether.

http://amsolar.com/diy-rv-solar-inst...s/edbatteries/

Some good info here on batteries, interestingly they've since updated it with information on Lithium.

^^^thanks M, good intel. I have been wrestling with installing lithium house batteries vs having a lithium solar generator that I can take inside and charge, or charge on a portable solar set up away from vehicle. I don't have a tremendous amount of space where the original house batteries sat, and not utilizing that space for batteries leaves it open for cab pass through project.
    The price point difference would be substantial, but I like the idea of being able to keep it in cab to charge while driving, or take into a hotel to do same.
    I am having a goldilocks problem as they seem to be either to big or too small.
    Anyone else experiment with a portable lithium power bank?
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    saw this in JH recently too (by persephone natch) but couldnt take a pic as I was driving.
    Figured it was some beard face sweater model type

Ok we really need a new van. wish I could just make our eurovan new again but I'm tired of getting in thru the passenger side, having it rain inside etc. so we've been looking for other replacements
    And not dismissing this one- 4x4 and lots of storage space
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Ford-E-...m=232237321808

I also bought my volvo at 69k miles and it's been great so I feel this is a sign
    Sweet BB! Re: that rig...

Pro: Low miles, looks real clean, 4x4, heavy duty suspension and chassis, already wired for power(?), lots of storage, ripe for a box-swap to a cabover or something else for more room and usability, 7.3PSD!!!

Con: Dually- worse in snow, hard to find good tires (but swapping the axle is possible and at least the parts themselves are plentiful and cheap), less room inside than you would think, can't stand up in there even, heavy as fuck- might affect mileage, despite low miles, engine could have a lot of hours idling if it was in a cold environment, excessive idling isn't great on these, I'd enquire about that.

Good luck on your search!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by AKPogue View Post
    How much are decent Astro vans going for these days?
    $20k ask on this beaut:
    http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...berty-Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by FireStrom View Post
    Man that is a sweet rig - And on the rare side, most of the Astro Tigers that come up are the pop top variety, not the CX like this one.

That is one nice ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

^^^
    Holy shit that is rad

So rad, I would be afraid to use it...

I car camped for 6 months in MN and the Exide "no maintenance" battery could play cd's all Saturday night and talk radio all Sunday day/night Coast to Coast and fire right up on Monday just silly. Reckon the Infinity stereo was dark and efficient but really. I got a agm year ago and it's at 12.4 volts which is not great 'cause I have 2 newer batteries in the car that have more and they all float down to the lowest value. One happily behind the driver seat and one hanging in there on the passenger floor(igloo cooler still fits barely). I'll not be spending $180 on a new Exide. This summer It tested at 13 but the diminish has been a bit too fast for me. My battery wiring is not exactly bomber, it's a discounted yellow extension cord from Kmart. It's #12 and you could double up on the positive side with the ground wire if you gave a fuck. I'm just psyched it's not orange. Stereo sounds better too.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    If you can handle the mpg, this baby can handle the whole family.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/cto/5994131549.html

Heck, with the back seats out, there is probably enough room to sleep 2.

I know a couple with one just like that and they sleep in the back comfortably. It's huge.

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

Deleted
    Last edited by chiller; 02-16-2017 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Redundant

wait... didn't I put that up 5 posts ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

ooh I really love that little tiger.

and dont worry I don't think we'll ed up with the ambulance. So much storage but yes quite small inside. and the dually is a real neg. I think I got all excited about the quigley on it for the mileage and price (reserve not met tho)

I saw so many vans I wanted when we were in Japan that they dont offer at all in N America (tear)
    skid luxury

I replaced the camper battery in our beater Northland slide in with a Walmart deep cycle marine 165 ah I think. $110. Been going strong for 4 years. Just fill water regularly (I check and fill if needed in spring and fall). We use it mainly for the built in propane forced air heater. This past weekend it started to get low after 3 days/nights. We use headlamps and candle lantern for light so only heater is pulling from the battery.

It keeps us warm as low as it goes. Been blowing gale force and well below zero and lasts three days or so without starting the truck to recharge. Camper is plugged into the trailer plug so house battery charges when the truck is on but doesn't draw from the truck battery when the ignition is off. Cheap and easy setup.

I'm thinking of adding a second and a solar panel with a marine isolater switch. Going 6 volt batteries would be the best change but more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    I replaced the camper battery in our beater Northland slide in with a Walmart deep cycle marine 165 ah I think. $110. Been going strong for 4 years. Just fill water regularly (I check and fill if needed in spring and fall). We use it mainly for the built in propane forced air heater. This past weekend it started to get low after 3 days/nights. We use headlamps and candle lantern for light so only heater is pulling from the battery.

It keeps us warm as low as it goes. Been blowing gale force and well below zero and lasts three days or so without starting the truck to recharge. Camper is plugged into the trailer plug so house battery charges when the truck is on but doesn't draw from the truck battery when the ignition is off. Cheap and easy setup.

I'm thinking of adding a second and a solar panel with a marine isolater switch. Going 6 volt batteries would be the best change but more expensive.
    GGT, are you using the water systems with that rig or dry camping?

picked this up in august
    its a 2006 ford E450
    28ft 20k miles 6 ft slideout
    100 hrs on the onan 4k genset
    got new 10plys and a 4wheel alignment.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0225.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	865.5 KB 
ID:	200335Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0227.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	985.8 KB 
ID:	200336Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0229.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	200337
    have arctic packs on the tanks but they haven't been tested in reality yet
    such a rattle trap when we got it
    locktited many many thing including running boards , blind valences and blinds.
    using it after de winterizing it when I got it ,fixing I think 3 letaks one being the outdoor shower mixer then rewinterizing.
    lots of things done like hand stiching curtains ,and upholstery
    fits next to my house
    I am in the market for house batteries/solar trickle charging set up so im really interested where this thread is going

that is badass^

Think I'll rescind my slightly less optimistic opinion of Exide edge agm battery. I had parasitic drain issues and alcoholic stereo drain issues too so I'ma prolly giver one more shot. My battery size is also small being a Rav4 and all.

Quote Originally Posted by yardsale2 View Post
    GGT, are you using the water systems with that rig or dry camping?
    No water. We probably could but might have problems during colder nights. Blue 7 gal jugs for drinking and cooking. Head is piss friendly but no crapping allowed. Antifreeze to keep the black tank from freezing. Just need to plan your dumps depending on where we overnight when the ground is frozen and can't cathole unless using dynomite.

Works like a charm. We don't even use the water system in summer. Just so much less to maintain. A sunshower works for longer weekends/trips when needed.

Adding insulation and pipe covers have allowed me to keep my water system going as long as it is above 2-3 degrees. Find and eliminate the cold areas.

Sunshower! that's what I forgot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0034.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	847.5 KB 
ID:	200683
    2016 ram promaster 2500, 136 wb, one week hasty conversion. i am not a fine carpenter

Name:	IMAG0029.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	200685
    nose to the wind,

Name:	IMAG0033.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	750.6 KB 
ID:	200684
    henry mts next week.