Page 236 of 510 FirstFirst ... 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 ... LastLast
Results 5,876 to 5,900 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Hadn’t checked the price, just saw them pop up (no pun intended) on IG and the site sorta had that ‘we’ve only built one proto so far’ borderline vapor ware vibe. Hence my question.
    Yeah, here ya. I wish them well, but ain't no way anyone is paying that kinda money for something like that. They do look pretty nice though.

Wife is pretty sold on these but they are similarly priced:

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Went and looked at this today
    7.3?

6.8l V10 with 5r110

IMO better than 7.3 PSD

I don't really get the advantage of a Sportsmobile van that would warrant the high price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    amazes me people will spend $32,880 to sleep in a tent on the roof of their vehicle. just stay at the holiday inn.
    I agree with the ridiculous price on those types of setups. But to play devils advocate it's pretty hard to move a Holiday Inn to the backcountry for a few days. The appeal is to camp near whatever outdoor endeavor you choose to do out your front door without dealing with a bunch of other people at the hotel, traffic, driving back and forth, etc. Of course a $200 tent will get that for you at a much lower price tag than some rooftop contraption.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I don't really get the advantage of a Sportsmobile van that would warrant the high price tag.
    Compared to what? You mentioned advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Compared to what? You mentioned advantage.
    I just think that they are overbuilt for what they are actually capable of doing and the amenities that they actually offer for the price. But you do you.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I just think that they are overbuilt for what they are actually capable of doing and the amenities that they actually offer for the price. But you do you.
    You just described most off-road Jeeps.

What is maybe overlooked is the man hours it takes to do a complete Sportsmobile. Just the non factory 4x4 is a lot of hours. The custom interior is easily 100 hours. That adds up quickly. The top is a nice profit margin for them as they have that dialed and easily installed at this point. They spend $$ on the molds but they have done so many they make it back. It is a solid business that has survived multiple down turns in the economy.

But yeah a Winnebago Revel is a better buy....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2D7518A9-D8A9-4458-8F75-39D4FCCCD2B7.jpeg 
Views:	174 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	328758

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2D7518A9-D8A9-4458-8F75-39D4FCCCD2B7.jpeg 
Views:	174 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	328758
    Theyre pretty cool, especially that one on the old gm, but did you see the price? One commenter asked the price and thought they added a zero by chance. Not sure if it was cad or usd but still 168000 is obscene. Theyre no lighter than a similar sized bigfoot/northern lite. They need a 1 ton built up chasis. They wont be a rock crawler/mud bogger

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I like that thing way too much. I'd never pay that though, obviously.

A buddy has a custom truck like that. Nice lines on those years. Things a tank. His has a 80's 3/4 ton frame with a chev diesel and some honda bucket seats. Id just have a fibreglass camper for it.

I'm a ford guy myself. I dream of a 73-77 with 4wd and a FG camper. Put it on a 97 chassis with a 7.3.

Nice lines in 60's and 70's for both gm and ford. They dont build them like that anymore

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Nice lines in 60's and 70's for both gm and ford. They dont build them like that anymore

Because most of them rusted away.

The pricing on the entire market is kinda crazy these days. And Yes I just posted that pic because I like old trucks.

https://vanlifetrader.com/listing/livlfe-van/ is generally similar to my Transit build except that this one lacks a Diesel engine (thus the gas Webasto), 3X more solar power, less designed for off-road....and they’re asking $138k. As long as DINKs and trustafarians exist, it seems possible that the depreciation curve below 100k miles will be kinda flat for 4WD Transits and Sprinters for years to come.

Read a weird article on “vanlifers” struggling this Spring since the RV campgrounds with electrical and sewage hookups were closed. I thought everyone buying megabuck campers or vans was at least aiming for some boondock capability but apparently not.

I like the value of this option: https://www.freewaycamperkit.com/en/sleeping-giant/. Get an AWD Sienna, visit factory to get the No Shipping price, build insulation for the windows, done. For 4 grand or so. Includes solar and a danforth compressor fridge, which alone is over a grand.

Sorry if that’s a repost but it’s a clever kit and nice antidote to the overpriced stuff.

I like the value of this option: https://www.freewaycamperkit.com/en/sleeping-giant/. Get an AWD Sienna, visit factory to get the No Shipping price, build insulation for the windows, done. For 4 grand or so. Includes solar and a danforth compressor fridge, which alone is over a grand.

Sorry if that’s a repost but it’s a clever kit and nice antidote to the overpriced stuff.
    And for another $750-$1500 (depending on your mechanical aptitude)—you can install a 3.5” lift from Journeys.

Mine is going on this week.

Any opinions on Travel Lite https://www.travelliterv.com/explore...rs--super-lite
    seems like good options under 1500lbs. Way cheaper than a Lance 650. Has me wondering. I am thinking one of these models on a f150 3.5 eco boost with additional payload. Found a truck with 7850 GVWR payload 2700lbs. seems to me it should be a good combination.
    off your knees Louie

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

I still think you should go 3/4 ton if you are buying specifically for a camper. I understand the f150 with heavy payload package can do it, but you'll get better brakes, better axles, better suspension, better transmission, better cooling, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I still think you should go 3/4 ton if you are buying specifically for a camper. I understand the f150 with heavy payload package can do it, but you'll get better brakes, better axles, better suspension, better transmission, better cooling, etc.
    Yes everyone is saying that. I am looking at the truck as a daily driver, The camper use will be around 30 days a year. Hard to find f250 supercab do not want a crew cab. may have to drive a newer 250 to see how it feels for daily use. I own one now that I really like but would not consider it the best vehicle for driving daily.
    off your knees Louie

Yes everyone is saying that. I am looking at the truck as a daily driver, The camper use will be around 30 days a year. Hard to find f250 supercab do not want a crew cab. may have to drive a newer 250 to see how it feels for daily use. I own one now that I really like but would not consider it the best vehicle for driving daily.
    Supercab helps some for weight. If you have a good setup to get the camper on/off then I see why you are leaning f150.

i have no experience with campers. I am thinking with a newer camper with new jacks it might be a two hour job putting on or taking off. But I really have no idea.
    off your knees Louie

The pricing on the entire market is kinda crazy these days. And Yes I just posted that pic because I like old trucks.

https://vanlifetrader.com/listing/livlfe-van/ is generally similar to my Transit build except that this one lacks a Diesel engine (thus the gas Webasto), 3X more solar power, less designed for off-road....and they’re asking $138k. As long as DINKs and trustafarians exist, it seems possible that the depreciation curve below 100k miles will be kinda flat for 4WD Transits and Sprinters for years to come.

Read a weird article on “vanlifers” struggling this Spring since the RV campgrounds with electrical and sewage hookups were closed. I thought everyone buying megabuck campers or vans was at least aiming for some boondock capability but apparently not.
    What a joke, no insulation, unfinished walls. they just put a couple big ticket items in there so people ignore the lack of everything else. I'd question the real world solar output since they are mixing different panels. Seems to me it's like if someone remodeled the kitchen in an old house but decided to ignore the knob and tube wiring and lead pipes.

Do those things actually sell? I always wonder that about the vans I see on craigslist for $70k with over 100k miles and a bunch of unfinished plywood inside.

i have no experience with campers. I am thinking with a newer camper with new jacks it might be a two hour job putting on or taking off. But I really have no idea.
    If you're going to install/remove a truck camper often, google and learn about remote (wired or wireless) electric jacks and "fastgun" turnbuckles (the things that hold the camper to the truck). The combination will be expensive, but it'll be quick.

I have manual jacks, and use a cordless drill to run the camper legs up/down. I have "Happijac" brand spring-loaded turnbuckles, which you install by hand, then snug to spec with a wrench. It takes awhile, but I don't take the camper on/off during the summer -- it just stays on until I remove it for winter. While it's on the truck, I unbolt the jacks from the camper for added ground clearance and to save weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.