Page 312 of 510 FirstFirst ... 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 ... LastLast
Results 7,776 to 7,800 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    It’s a rwd, the Dodge. Chain up.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I was wondering. 4 x 4 would be best but plenty of weight on the drives

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

30 years old.... it's whooped.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1620917382.497264.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	374470
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    They put money and effort in to it, but are selling......hmmmm. Perhaps they bought it cheap for a DIY camper and has turned into a money pit. The roof work, beams, and cover might suggest plenty of water intrusion has happened and it's not a winnable battle.

A little soap and water and some zip ties would make a huge difference. I must have looked at 2-300 rv's online in the last couple weeks and this is probably the worst condition I've seen and yet one of the most unique layouts and capabilities.
    A leaky roof doesn't mean it's 'rode hard'. It's only got 60k miles on it. If the 4x4 conversion was done recently, everything under it was replaced: axles wheels tranny, etc.

Anyways, something is fishy, maybe it's a roof leak. Maybe it's 60k an a new engine and everything else has 250,000 miles on it and he didn't make it clear in the listing. Inside looks good enough to me though.

Hey BATTERY NERDS: I am looking at those Optima Blue top dual batteries. They specialize in CCA for starting but also deep cycle for running lights, cell phone chargers, etc. I know most proper RV's have a starting battery and then a bank of leisure batteries. I don't have room for 2 batteries; I have a cabover camper where I will be running lights, charging etc without running the engine for a day or two. Can anyone speak to these? Overkill? Perfection? They're like 350 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kootenai View Post
    Hey BATTERY NERDS: I am looking at those Optima Blue top dual batteries. They specialize in CCA for starting but also deep cycle for running lights, cell phone chargers, etc. I know most proper RV's have a starting battery and then a bank of leisure batteries. I don't have room for 2 batteries; I have a cabover camper where I will be running lights, charging etc without running the engine for a day or two. Can anyone speak to these? Overkill? Perfection? They're like 350 bucks.
    Put 2 in my old van as a house bank to power fridge, fan, lights, phone charging and more “self jumping” than anticipated. They lived a hard life but are still going strong after 7 years.

If whatever size battery you use does the job the optima will probably last longer and look cooler, but the Optima won't overcome any defect in your set up. So if you draw the battery down too low w your accessories it may fail to start the motor. It would probably be smart to add up all the usage in amps(Ah) of the accessories and subtract that from the Ah the battery is rated for. Not sure what season or location your use will be in, but if there's any sun at all it seems like solar would be a good way to keep the battery topped up between starts.

I'd probably go to walmart for a regular wet cell battery unless it's hard to get to or needs to be mounted other than upright - thats where AGM batteries, which is what Optima is, shine. They are sealed so no need to ever add water, can be mounted in any position, and also stand up to heavy vibration. Based on a $350 Optima battery price I'm guessing you need a group 31, but buy the biggest battery you have space for.

Walmarts brand is Everstart. Lead Acid Marine and RV Deep Cycle Group 31

If whatever size battery you use does the job the optima will probably last longer and look cooler, but the Optima won't overcome any defect in your set up. So if you draw the battery down too low w your accessories it may fail to start the motor. It would probably be smart to add up all the usage in amps(Ah) of the accessories and subtract that from the Ah the battery is rated for. Not sure what season or location your use will be in, but if there's any sun at all it seems like solar would be a good way to keep the battery topped up between starts.

I'd probably go to walmart for a regular wet cell battery unless it's hard to get to or needs to be mounted other than upright - thats where AGM batteries, which is what Optima is, shine. They are sealed so no need to ever add water, can be mounted in any position, and also stand up to heavy vibration. Based on a $350 Optima battery price I'm guessing you need a group 31, but buy the biggest battery you have space for.

Walmarts brand is Everstart. Lead Acid Marine and RV Deep Cycle Group 31
    Mostly this. Doesn't matter how good the battery, if you let it run below 11.8V on the regular, it will never fully recover. Some power converters (single stage especially) can cook the battery far too easily too. We've gone with high end AGM's, and keep a real close eye on the draw, and we are going into year 5 with an 80W solar charger keeping them topped up on moderate use. The previous everstart standard wet cells packed it in on yr 3, but they were half the price.

Why don't you have room for two batteries? AGM batteries don't need to be vented and can be mounted upside down, sideways, ect. You can tuck them away in some random corner. LiFePO4 are even smaller and lighter but are better for more high end complex systems. There are LiFePO4 power supplies where you just charge up in your home and then bring the little cube with you when you are in your rig. Could be a good option if space is limited and power consumption is small.

Also, how do you plan on charging the battery (alternator, trickle charger, solar, dc to dc, generator)? Is your only power consumption lights and charging phones? It is possible to run a camper set up off the single battery under the hood if the power consumption is very small, but not advisable.

Just strap em’ up top. you put a new shovel and a highlift Jack next to em’ and you get fucking bonus points.

^^but then where would i keep my bags of gasoline??
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

If you’re going to spend $350 don’t get an Optima. They switched manufacturing plants a few years ago and reviews aren’t great.

If you’re willing to spend that much get an Odyssey or the Batteries Plus X2Power- exact same as Odyssey but changed brand. They’re virgin lead and very tough. Will get you far more use than an Optima likely.

Otherwise good AGM can be found for under $200 and should serve you well for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Why don't you have room for two batteries? AGM batteries don't need to be vented and can be mounted upside down, sideways, ect. You can tuck them away in some random corner. LiFePO4 are even smaller and lighter but are better for more high end complex systems. There are LiFePO4 power supplies where you just charge up in your home and then bring the little cube with you when you are in your rig. Could be a good option if space is limited and power consumption is small.

Also, how do you plan on charging the battery (alternator, trickle charger, solar, dc to dc, generator)? Is your only power consumption lights and charging phones? It is possible to run a camper set up off the single battery under the hood if the power consumption is very small, but not advisable.
    Thanks all, for chiming in. Currently I do have a Jackery type solar gen that I charge at home and can charge while the engine is running. I don't have a lot of draw, but don't want to have to worry about lights and a BT speaker limiting my ability to start my engine in the morning. And, my Jackery type solar gen is dedicated to my diesel heater in the winter. Everything else is off my starter battery. The Optima is unique in that it has deep cycle for slow draw, but still has CCA for the starter. I am not looking to complicate my system with PV cells, dc to dc, aux batteries etc.... Just wondered if the dual Optima's are a good fit for what I describe and need.

So I'm definitely not a battery expert, but I think there are other (cheaper) options out there similar to the optima. NAPA, O'reilly, and probably the other chains have house-branded batteries that are "deep cycle/starting" or "marine starting" and probably have similar specs.

House brand auto parts AGM are still questionable IMO. I went Duracell AGM from Sam's Club and have been very happy.

I believe almost all car batteries sold in the U.S. are actually made by just three manufacturers and then sold under different brand names. Johnson Controls, which supplies more than half of the market; Exide; and East Penn. You can find good return policies where you can use the battery for up to a year and return if it goes bunk. I bought a duracell from batteries plus, which came with one of those warranties.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    House brand auto parts AGM are still questionable IMO. I went Duracell AGM from Sam's Club and have been very happy.
    The way I read it is that Kootenai wants to replace his starting battery with one of these "hybrids". I'd probably just go lead acid at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    So I'm definitely not a battery expert, but I think there are other (cheaper) options out there similar to the optima. NAPA, O'reilly, and probably the other chains have house-branded batteries that are "deep cycle/starting" or "marine starting" and probably have similar specs.
    Anything labeled/marketed as a combination "deep cycle"/ trolling/ marine/ whatever *AND* as a starting battery is not a true deep cycle battery. However, for light use, it'll probably be fine.

I still really like the route of 6V golf cart batteries installed in series (need multiples of 2, obviously). Big, heavy, tons of amp-hour reserve. I replaced mine this spring after 10 years of use on the old set. Cost is about $90 each at Costco.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

The Optima is unique in that it has deep cycle for slow draw, but still has CCA for the starter.
    Ok now we're getting some more info. Ideally you want to start motor every time so keeping your accessories off of the starting battery circuit is going to insure that. The first question is can the Jackery power the diesel heater AND the accessories? If it can't could you sell the existing Jackery and get a larger one that would?

But to directly answer your comments:

The Optima is not unique in any way. There are wet cells and AGM (which is what an Optima is) that are dual use - deep cycle and CCA. Deep cycle just means the battery stands up to repeated deep discharges; it doesn't mean that it can't go below the CCA needed to start a motor leaving you stranded.

Bottom line is throwing $350 at any battery isn't really a proven solution. It's testing by trial and error. The cheapest way to run that test is buy the biggest sized dual use battery for as cheap as possible and save the rest of the money for jumper cables or an uber and a new battery when you're stranded if it doesn't work out. If it should happen to be ok then in 2 or 3 years you can replace it with a longer lived AGM.

Earlier in this thread someone posted about new ambulances that were being sold....can anyone lead me to that source. This search engine sucks the ballz

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Hopeless Sinner has a good point- those lithium jump packs have gotten pretty affordable and barely take up any space/weight to keep as a back-up.

Ok now we're getting some more info. Ideally you want to start motor every time so keeping your accessories off of the starting battery circuit is going to insure that. The first question is can the Jackery power the diesel heater AND the accessories? If it can't could you sell the existing Jackery and get a larger one that would?

But to directly answer your comments:

The Optima is not unique in any way. There are wet cells and AGM (which is what an Optima is) that are dual use - deep cycle and CCA. Deep cycle just means the battery stands up to repeated deep discharges; it doesn't mean that it can't go below the CCA needed to start a motor leaving you stranded.

Bottom line is throwing $350 at any battery isn't really a proven solution. It's testing by trial and error. The cheapest way to run that test is buy the biggest sized dual use battery for as cheap as possible and save the rest of the money for jumper cables or an uber and a new battery when you're stranded if it doesn't work out. If it should happen to be ok then in 2 or 3 years you can replace it with a longer lived AGM.
    This. lot's of great data being thrown my way, but this seems to answer my question. It sounds like a dual purpose battery really doesn't give much of an advantage over a regular starter battery. But I challenge, if the marine batteries are used for starting the motor (cranking amps) AND for a slow drain (deep cycle) of a trawling motor, isn't that really what I am looking to do? Start the car in the winter but be able to use lights and usb during the PM. Are dual purpose batteries just good marketing or are they made for my purposes. The collective seems to say that they are just marketing..... yes?

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Hopeless Sinner has a good point- those lithium jump packs have gotten pretty affordable and barely take up any space/weight to keep as a back-up.
    He's using one already to power the diesel heater so he's comfortable with the technology and function which is important.

This. lot's of great data being thrown my way, but this seems to answer my question. It sounds like a dual purpose battery really doesn't give much of an advantage over a regular starter battery. But I challenge, if the marine batteries are used for starting the motor (cranking amps) AND for a slow drain (deep cycle) of a trawling motor, isn't that really what I am looking to do? Start the car in the winter but be able to use lights and usb during the PM. Are dual purpose batteries just good marketing or are they made for my purposes. The collective seems to say that they are just marketing..... yes?
    No they're not marketing at all. Dual purpose batteries can serve 2 purposes but not both at the same time. A battery only has a fixed amount of power or Ah, using some power MAY reduce what's left to less than what's needed to start a motor, but a dual purpose battery is capable of being deeply discharged and fully recharged multiple times.

A regular starting battery won't survive multiple deep discharges, it's meant to produce high power in short bursts-constantly recharged by the alternator. A dual purpose battery in a boat or a car w that's used infrequently and is completely discharged multiple times will handle that abuse and be able to start a motor once it's recharged. A true deep cycle only battery is for running a trolling motor or electric lawn mower that's intended to be completely discharged every time it's used.

He's using one already to power the diesel heater so he's comfortable with the technology and function which is important.
    I overlooked that, can you use the jackery as a jump pack? May still be better to have something removed from the system completely though.