Page 221 of 508 FirstFirst ... 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 ... LastLast
Results 5,501 to 5,525 of 12697
    doebedoe: I'd like an apple.
    TAFKALS: How about an orange?

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    doebedoe: I'd like an apple.
    TAFKALS: How about an orange?
    TAFKALS is speaking to a request I've made in the past. If I could reasonably have that orange I would.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Bring your dentist funds and let me build you a troop carrier diesel Land Cruiser. All the flat brimmed colorad-bros with their Tacomas will be mega jealous.
    Got to wait on the rich uncle to decide he wants to give away the troop carrier Cruisers in his possession before the "dentist" funds from working at a state agency will be enough for y'alls craftsmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Feel free to send things you see -- but primarily looking for sub-100k mi (prefer 50-80) Sienna currently. Leather a plus but not mandatory.

Open to other ideas, but basic requirements are:

- ready to go camper at any time -- no futzing with trailer or loading a camper.
    - carry 5, but convert to sleep 2 quickly
    - big enough for internal table for some cooking, card playing, beer drinking, mutual masturbation
    - not a handful for everyday mountain commutes (I don't want a full size Promaster to be my only car)
    - reliable and easily accessible parts.
    I can speak to the sienna being practical and capable of these things. Mine is an '05. That camping system you posted is great, I'll look into one when I have kids out of car seats.

Have used both run flats and regular tires with a spare. Neither option is ideal. I will say the run flats functioned as advertised and allowed us to drive to a tire shop. Currently we only pack the spare when we leave our local area.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Thanks for confirmation @steveski . Anything particular to watch out for when buying? I'm leaning third Gen, avoiding the first year because first years typically have a bit of a shake-out in my limited experience. I prefer the 2nd gens flat floor when you remove the rear seats. But finding one with lower miles in good shape is a bit more difficult.

Thanks for confirmation @steveski . Anything particular to watch out for when buying? I'm leaning third Gen, avoiding the first year because first years typically have a bit of a shake-out in my limited experience. I prefer the 2nd gens flat floor when you remove the rear seats. But finding one with lower miles in good shape is a bit more difficult.
    Yeah the used market is tricky, but not impossible. I had to travel 5 hours from home to buy from a private party but it was well worth it.

AWD vs front wheel is a bit of a decision but despite the spare tire downsides it is well worth it for any routine snow driving.

I wish I could offer more specifics but I found a lot of good info online between generations and the 2nd gen fit our budget and plan. I have replaced the electric sliding door mechanism when the cable snapped (common issue) but it was a straightforward fix with good instructions online and OEM kit easily available. Nice to be able to turn electric door options on and off as needed.

We have a hitch rack with North shore rack for carrying bikes and a roof rack with box which really enables carrying alot of stuff. We can also squeeze skis and a bike inside (without removing wheels) if needed which is great.

I dig steveskis van setup

You've met me. You know I couldn't pull off either of those.

Tundra is for enduro bros, who sled ski and climb 5.13.

Sienna is for 8mi trail runs at 12min pace, meadow skipping on 10 year old dynafits, and going backpacking.
    Ha!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I dig steveskis van setup
    Post number? Link?

Post number? Link?
    #5504 and #5506

It’s a dad van.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    I've always wondered about #vanlife.
    When you aren't skiing,
    what do you do with all your van time?

Is it just endless card games and inet surfing,
    or is there a 'community' to connect and associate with?
    I assume time is spent trying to find a place to take a proper crap and somewhere to shower.

Do #vanlife people just wash with wet wipes? Are there places to actually have showers around (community centre changerooms perhaps)?? Do they even care???

I use the showers at the hot springs. Downtime is spent watching weather patterns and reading about how the real world is falling apart to capitalist greed.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Are there places to actually have showers around (community centre changerooms perhaps)?? Do they even care???
    Getting a membership at a 24 hour national gym chain can be a good strategy.

I assume time is spent trying to find a place to take a proper crap and somewhere to shower.

Do #vanlife people just wash with wet wipes? Are there places to actually have showers around (community centre changerooms perhaps)?? Do they even care???
    I don't know because I'm not #vanlife. I'm #weekendcamping.

Typical weekend looks like: drive up after dinner on Friday. Sleep. Get up and skin a lap with pup. Take crap in the lodge. Ski.

Then have apres at a brewery nearby. Make some dinner in the van. Tell brewers I can either peace out, or drink another few beers, sleep in the lot and be gone by 7am.

I did get a 10-pack pass to the local rec center which has hot tubs, sauna, steam room, and showers. Use that sometimes too.

Pretty simple really.

In the summer I'm more likely to shit in the woods.

I don't know because I'm not #vanlife. I'm #weekendcamping.

Typical weekend looks like: drive up after dinner on Friday. Sleep. Get up and skin a lap with pup. Take crap in the lodge. Ski.

Then have apres at a brewery nearby. Make some dinner in the van. Tell brewers I can either peace out, or drink another few beers, sleep in the lot and be gone by 7am.

I did get a 10-pack pass to the local rec center which has hot tubs, sauna, steam room, and showers. Use that sometimes too.

Pretty simple really.

Getting a membership at a 24 hour national gym chain can be a good strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    I use the showers at the hot springs. Downtime is spent watching weather patterns and reading about how the real world is falling apart to capitalist greed.
    You all are living the dream. Nice.

You all are living the dream. Nice.
    glad you're quoting all this for posterity....as this is the way it goes down....changes up a bit working out of a 'c' class

animals eat that up same day... gross but fact....also turns out wild or domestic animals have the same tendencies ....so there's that....
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    animals eat that up same day... gross but fact....also turns out wild or domestic animals have the same tendencies ....so there's that....
    I can confirm. I used to work at a trail ride place and every time somebody brought a dog over the first thing it did was to sniff out some horse shit and suck up a mouthful. The look of betrayal/horror on the owners’ faces when their lil’ buddy turned out to be a shit eater was priceless.

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

The Bellevue YMCA doesn’t even charge.

Just finished our first trip in the girlfriends fancy new sprinter van (places skied): Fort Collins-Pueblo-Aspen(Snowmass)-Park City/SLC (Deer Valley)(Alta)(Snowbird)-Reno/Tahoe-Denver. 13 days with 3 nights in hotels.

Slept in the van around Aspen, Park City, Little Cottonwood canyon and Dinosaur Natl Monument. Showered at the Aspen Community Rec Center for $5 and at two friends/relatives along the way. We were pleasantly surprised how relatively easy it was to find places to park for the night. State Parks seemed pretty reliable..even in the winter. Van was pretty good at keeping the interior above 70, even in close to 0 temps.

Alta and Snowbird are incredible and I can't wait to go back. You can see why people love that canyon. I had my first bluebird pow day ever at Alta when it hadn't even snowed at the entrance of the canyon so it was totally unexpected. Maybe I went to Deer Valley on a bad day but it was extremely crowded and had pretty poor conditions. Snowmass is also a super fun mountain that I only scratched the surface of.

First trip gave us a lot of ideas for improvements and things to test....in particular-testing electronics for power usage/optimizing storage and having specific places for everything is high on the list. Will see if I can figure out how to post some pics.

Post number? Link?
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    #5504 and #5506

It’s a dad van.
    Simple, affordable, yes. Glamorous? No.

Every time I think I'm bothered by the soccer dad van image the overwhelming sense of functionality keeps me on track.

What do people think about a DIY teardrop trailer build? I'm driving a Subaru forester and thinking about ways to improve my parking lot + fire road sleeping setup. Mixed use between ski and mountain bike trips.

Potential Pros: cheap, can be towed by smaller vehicle, can be left at campsite while said vehicle is driven around

Potential Cons: cramped, kitchen/galley outside, not at all stealthy, pulling a trailer in the snow might suck.

Anyone go this route and have feedback?

I don't really see what it gets you over a rtt.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I'd much rather have a teardrop trailer than a roof tent. A friend has a teardrop (commercial one, not home made), with a roof rack for bikes, and a kitchen space out back. I like it a lot for 3-season camping. I don't like towing in snow, so wouldn't want one for winter use - but I also wouldn't want to sleep in a roof tent in winter.

If you're skilled and can do the build, you can make something nice for fairly cheap.

I've also seen some cool cargo trailer conversions set up for a couple flip down bunks, along with motorcycle or bike hauling. Flat surfaces so easy to cut in windows or roof vent, easy to insulate or build out inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

There is a badass fuso build roaming around bcc area. Badass..

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    What do people think about a DIY teardrop trailer build? I'm driving a Subaru forester and thinking about ways to improve my parking lot + fire road sleeping setup. Mixed use between ski and mountain bike trips.

Potential Pros: cheap, can be towed by smaller vehicle, can be left at campsite while said vehicle is driven around

Potential Cons: cramped, kitchen/galley outside, not at all stealthy, pulling a trailer in the snow might suck.

Anyone go this route and have feedback?
    i ran a 5 spd forester for a while till it died... best stealth ive owned....why not go with roof box and trailer shelf and make behind the front seats sleeping area. I ran heavy gauge maleable copper wire around the edge of headliner and even across at back of front seats and sewed a 360 deg black out curtain system out of polartec heavy fleece. windows were already tinted. set up worked pretty well till i killed the car by ........ pulling a uhaul heavy trailer across country once.... i also used this to pull a narrow flat trailer with a skidoo for quite some time...(this is why i was asking about the yota highlanders here) ..which has been ignored...not rv, not van, but much like the forester...but possibly better headroom...the forester afforded me boarding in places like crested butte as near to lift as could be had, anywhere in denver, any long haul trip ...never not a single knock on the side or window....cant say that for my class c when almost every night of free camping i lay in wait for "the" knock, worst was in denver at TA and squaw ....another positive for these small wagon poachers is the ability to go from bed to driver seat quickly if rousted by hooligans or overzealous security guards without face to face time...i like the sienna idea but, maybe more internal room than necessary for a difference in mpg, rig length when pulling a trailer (heavy bad in snow), and the fact that rousters are looking at vans hard in places where people are not supposed to be sleeping...
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

How are people managing snow melt off skis for multi day excursions? Trying to manage moisture more efficiently when I build a new setup between now and next Tuesday.

I have this idea of sloping a piece of plywood laminated with aluminum flashing to the rear of the vehicle where it collects in a drip pan. The skis would sit just above on cross dowels sleeved with slightly larger diameter PVC to simulate rollers. Above the skis is where I’d have the sleeping platform. Should be able to fit 4 pairs beneath which seems perfect to me.

A couple things I’m trying to improve over the old setup:
    - more headroom, the old platform was way too tall
    - not wall to wall with the plywood, I realistically only need about 3’ to sleep on when solo. this will open up a lot of room for taller items and stacked storage on the open side
    case and point (old):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5254.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	310946

- need this to be modular and somewhat easy to remove, while also not falling apart.. have a couple ideas floating around for this

ETA: this will be going in a 4th gen 4R