Page 338 of 510 FirstFirst ... 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 ... LastLast
Results 8,426 to 8,450 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    About like opening a can of worms you found in your fridge from last summer.
    100%.

Not sure what this thing is, but I’d bet you could drive it to a ski area and sleep in their parking lot…
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6931.JPG 
Views:	307 
Size:	877.8 KB 
ID:	381199

Team green. Sick rig. Wonder what he's powering w a genset that big?

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

not tall enough to stand up in?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    not tall enough to stand up in?

Pretty sure it pops up.

Not sure where you would even need something like that in the lower 48.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    Pretty sure it pops up.

What is this "need" you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Thanks for the input on the Ford/Lance… it seemed like a good deal when he threw that number out. I just wasn’t sure if there were any known issues with that particular truck or camper. It hasn’t gone public or been listed yet and I’m sure it will go quickly once it does. I might just call the guy and offer $16k cash. Use it for a year and see if it works for us. Don’t want to be upside down in it however.

Another question: Assuming all is in very good condition, what is this worth at market value in your area?
    Did you get it?
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Wonder what he's powering w a genset that big?
    Anything he wants to, that's what.

Pretty sure it pops up.

Looks like it will fit it a container for shipment.

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

Not sure what this thing is, but I’d bet you could drive it to a ski area and sleep in their parking lot…
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6931.JPG 
Views:	307 
Size:	877.8 KB 
ID:	381199
    Someone put a travel trailer on an LVS
    Not really an LVS but same idea

Quote Originally Posted by kelvin1 View Post
    Lavaner Pro heaters are the best compromise between Webasto price and generic-brand futzing. They're like $200 instead of $80, but all the components are quality and the support is top notch. Haven't had to replace anything yet. From reading, my impression is they rarely break, but I know they have sent out replacements for free to other folks. Only downside is a long lead time if they haven't shipped a batch to US in a while.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001337957050.html
    Thx for that link. Looks like a nice complete kit. I’m constantly getting asked by friends for suggestions on 4 season but affordable builds.

At the higher end, Espar has a new model that can operate well at a wide range of altitude…but the affordability (relative to Webasto) has gone away due to high demand.

Anyone here have any experience with the Propex furnaces? I’m starting to think that’s the move for my van build, but they seem less popular than the diesel ones for some reason.

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    Anyone here have any experience with the Propex furnaces? I’m starting to think that’s the move for my van build, but they seem less popular than the diesel ones for some reason.
    A friend has one in their van. Seems to be the cleanest and one of the easier installs. They’ve also been crazy hard to find. And you’ve got to figure out an airtight propane closet inside your rig or run pipe through the wall. Plus propane isn’t super great in very cold temps if you were starting the heater from cold.

I believe propane storage compartments technically need to be sealed to the inside, and vented outside and down (since propane sinks) and a LP detector inside. Commercial builders, like Four Wheel Campers, have to build their rigs to code, so you will see this. The idea is any leaks will go down, and outside, and the detector will detect small leaks in the line (before you light that bowl in your rig and blow yourself up). But lots of DIYers violate code rules and just store propane unvented in their van (depends on your risk tolerance).

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Did you get it?
    No, it sold to another paddling club member later that night while I was driving home. I’ve been in touch with the new owner and offered a couple hundred above what he paid. Said he bought it for the truck and he might sell after trying camping a few times this Summer. I was sad and so was my wife… she was fully on board.

Have run a Propex HS2211 in my van for 5+ seasons, maybe 150 nights. 20lb BBQ tank in a sealed and vented cabinet. Have never had issues with it, even in -20F on the icefields pkwy. AMA.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Have run a Propex HS2211 in my van for 5+ seasons, maybe 150 nights. 20lb BBQ tank in a sealed and vented cabinet. Have never had issues with it, even in -20F on the icefields pkwy. AMA.
    Where do you have it mounted?

Where do you have it mounted?
    It's mounted adjacent to the PS wheel well, in the vertical orientation (interior intake is above interior exhaust). Combustion intake/exhaust goes through the floor - exhaust side dumps at the front of the PS wheel well, and intake is at the rear. I copied the propane locker from faroutride.com, but I was able to fit the regulator into my locker to minimize the number of connections that aren't sealed/vented. Mine will go ~10 days full time use before needing a refill. Have had it as high as ~11,500ft - no issues.

Heat comes out at the front of this cabinet:

Last edited by North; 08-02-2021 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Thx for that link. Looks like a nice complete kit. I’m constantly getting asked by friends for suggestions on 4 season but affordable builds.

At the higher end, Espar has a new model that can operate well at a wide range of altitude…but the affordability (relative to Webasto) has gone away due to high demand.
    I've come around on altitude adjustment. I was pretty worried about this initially, since one of my main uses for this van is volcano skiing with ~5000 foot parking lots. However, I totally believe that running the heater lean prevents soot buildup with only negligible efficiency loss at lower elevation. According to this game of telephone (https://faroutride.com/air-heater-in...tion/#altitude) Webasto seems to agree. (Or at least they say it won't damage the heater to run it lean).

I've come around on altitude adjustment. I was pretty worried about this initially, since one of my main uses for this van is volcano skiing with ~5000 foot parking lots. However, I totally believe that running the heater lean prevents soot buildup with only negligible efficiency loss at lower elevation. According to this game of telephone (https://faroutride.com/air-heater-in...tion/#altitude) Webasto seems to agree. (Or at least they say it won't damage the heater to run it lean).
    I didn't read the entire article; just the part about the Webasto heaters having a auto or manual adjustment switch for elevation based on heater model.

Youtube vids that I have watched with guys using the way cheaper Chinese heaters, the guys say that the heater tends to soot up when set at low temp and work better if set on high.

Anyone have experience with the weBoost signal booster? I see the antenna on lots of rigs. I read their site but does it work?
    Sometimes I have like 1 bar at a spot so LTE is wonky, would the weBoost fox that?
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Anyone have experience with the weBoost signal booster? I see the antenna on lots of rigs. I read their site but does it work?
    Sometimes I have like 1 bar at a spot so LTE is wonky, would the weBoost fox that?
    yes, yes, and yes

My Webasto gets used between 3000 ft and 9000 ft, and years ago I had it tuned at 6400 ft since the tech and I figured it’d be no big deal to run it lean at lower altitudes. Still though I understand why outfitters are gravitating toward models that explicitly address this.

When I researched this topic a few yrs back, the electronics geeks steered me to MIMO antenna setup rather than weBoost. This can help you understand why: https://www.waveform.com/blogs/main/...a-announcement

However be warned that a typical Mimo is affordable and low profile and therefore scores low points on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    When I researched this topic a few yrs back, the electronics geeks steered me to MIMO antenna setup rather than weBoost. This can help you understand why: https://www.waveform.com/blogs/main/...a-announcement

However be warned that a typical Mimo is affordable and low profile and therefore scores low points on Instagram.
    Those don't look even a little like Tiki Torches. Fail.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.