Page 294 of 510 FirstFirst ... 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 ... LastLast
Results 7,326 to 7,350 of 12727
    I vote for the Subaru and camping.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post

Side note: I really don't understand all of the hate on RVs. Sprinters are no longer even a little stealth these days, and neither is anything else, really. If you're going to be obviously sleeping in a vehicle, why not be comfortable? We have a real freezer, an oven, plenty of water, and a huge comfy space to hang out in warmth. Total length of my class A is 22 feet, so we can park in regular spots. The extra width and height is where the spaciousness comes from.

Best of all, RVs are cheap. You can still get a decent older one for under $10k, and the savings will buy you a shitload of fuel. You can tear out whatever crap cabinets you don't need, or tear out all of them and start over, like I did. The walls are vertical, the floor is flat, and it's already insulated, so building is easy. Insurance for RVs is also super cheap.
    Seems really smart to me. Sprinter vans don't seem smart for anyone besides a couple with no kids, and even then it's stupid expensive.

No one gives a shit about your janky class a on the gram tho.
    Live Free or Die

Subaru and camping - but with stops at a small cabin every once in awhile to spreadout and refresh. Think KOA Kamping Kabins or similar. Good base camp for multi-day riding, kids might even get a pool.

I've done multi-day guy trips to Moab, Fruita and Spearfish by basing out of the cabins. It is nice to get a shower and place to spread out the gear to dry out, repair, repack, etc.

RVs are cool for certain uses. Trucks with campers are nice for others. Sleeping in a "stealthy" vehicle (Subaru, minivan, suburban, etc) good for others.

I don't think most people in Sprinters give a fuck about stealth.

If I was living out of one for weeks/months on end-- an already built full-size van or Class A would be obvious choice. Or hardsided truck camper.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Solid point.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I am enjoying the extra space. The Sunrader did me well for over 170k miles, but real engine power and Li-on powered heat has been a real upgrade. It handles way better than I had hoped

Stealth was never an option before, anyway. The dogs ensure that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1614106977.764921.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	263.8 KB 
ID:	364498

And my lady got her walk-around bed.

I haven't spent much time over 8k ft since getting the heater, but I did spring for the blue LCD controller, which has an altimeter and supposedly auto adjusts for altitude. Mine has been really reliable. There is a VERY active FB group, where you'll likely find all of the answers.
    Thanks, that's helpful. I have heard tell of a very active Facebook group... I just try and avoid teh Facebooks completely if possible. I'll check there if/when I do have really concrete questions.

Side note: I really don't understand all of the hate on RVs. Sprinters are no longer even a little stealth these days, and neither is anything else, really. If you're going to be obviously sleeping in a vehicle, why not be comfortable? We have a real freezer, an oven, plenty of water, and a huge comfy space to hang out in warmth. Total length of my class A is 22 feet, so we can park in regular spots. The extra width and height is where the spaciousness comes from.

Best of all, RVs are cheap. You can still get a decent older one for under $10k, and the savings will buy you a shitload of fuel. You can tear out whatever crap cabinets you don't need, or tear out all of them and start over, like I did. The walls are vertical, the floor is flat, and it's already insulated, so building is easy. Insurance for RVs is also super cheap.

Downsides are no 4x4 and few of them are ready for winter, but with the $40,000 you save you can get a Chinese heater and figure out how drive with chains. Or, shit, you could get a CRV and tow it for accessing snowed in parking areas.
    No hate from this guy, a van is just what we ended up with. We had a pop-up truck camper before and I owned a 22' hard sided travel trailer way before that, the van works for us for a bunch of reasons. One of those reasons is we found a good deal and spent not very much money on an already built-out older Sprinter... more than $10k but quite a bit less than 20. And it's the most fuel efficient vehicle we own.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Seems really smart to me. Sprinter vans don't seem smart for anyone besides a couple with no kids, and even then it's stupid expensive.
    Well I'm half of a couple with no kids, so this checks out.

There's a hashtag for everything, broheme. #classalife #dieselpusher

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    RVs are cool for certain uses. Trucks with campers are nice for others. Sleeping in a "stealthy" vehicle (Subaru, minivan, suburban, etc) good for others.

I don't think most people in Sprinters give a fuck about stealth.

If I was living out of one for weeks/months on end-- an already built full-size van or Class A would be obvious choice. Or hardsided truck camper.
    Pretty much yes to all this... different stuff works for different people. I'm definitely not worried about stealth. And if I were living in it, something different would be in order.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    I am enjoying the extra space. The Sunrader did me well for over 170k miles, but real engine power and Li-on powered heat has been a real upgrade. It handles way better than I had hoped

Stealth was never an option before, anyway. The dogs ensure that.

Name:	Image1614106977.764921.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	263.8 KB 
ID:	364498

And my lady got her walk-around bed.
    this^
    embrace the gape
    and believe

First night of my ski season camping in the lot. Filled out a simple form with the resort and was told to make myself at home. How refreshing as opposed to hiding out and sneaking around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0619B1A6-6A49-4AD1-A86F-E20E833E01DD.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	873.0 KB 
ID:	364539  

Post approved.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

You voted twice!
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Right?

My parents just bought a new 28’ Class A as their first RV and their first retirement splurge. They’d started with wanting a Eurovan-sized “van,” then wanted a sprinter, then class B, then C and ended up with an A....

I drive a buses as part of my job and said the A was going to be “that much bigger” despite having a similar footprint to a bloated B or most C’s. We’ll see where their heads are at in a year or two; will they want bigger or smaller?

I haven't spent much time over 8k ft since getting the heater, but I did spring for the blue LCD controller, which has an altimeter and supposedly auto adjusts for altitude. Mine has been really reliable. There is a VERY active FB group, where you'll likely find all of the answers.

Downsides are no 4x4 and few of them are ready for winter, but with the $40,000 you save you can get a Chinese heater and figure out how drive with chains. Or, shit, you could get a CRV and tow it for accessing snowed in parking areas.
    My thoughts exactly.

Crash test videos will show the biggest drawback to the class A. Hopefully when we are back in Seattle I can have my trailer up in lot 3 but it obviously won’t be getting there if it is puking.

Saw this on my run today....sick.

Name:	28CEF35D-C0C7-44DC-8FF7-88770E67E4A4.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	579.5 KB 
ID:	364581

Name:	Image1614137248.215552.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	364582
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Saw this on my run today....sick.

Name:	28CEF35D-C0C7-44DC-8FF7-88770E67E4A4.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	579.5 KB 
ID:	364581
    I’d say.

man, it's so hard to get a good sleep in RV
    but if you come to ski for just a couple of days it's worth it 100%

Quote Originally Posted by LiamW View Post
    man, it's so hard to get a good sleep in RV
    Why? Noisy heater? Shitty mattress?

I’ve slept around 300 nights in my van since 2015. The GF and I joke about what a time warp it can be to sleep 10 hrs rather than the 7-8 we get at home. It’s a dark cozy cave with the window coverings on.

However if we’re in a parking lot & the snowplows are doing their thing at midnight, can be noisy AF.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    It’s a dark cozy cave with the window coverings on.

However if we’re in a parking lot & the snowplows are doing their thing at midnight, can be noisy AF.
    Right? Sticking your head out the door like "What year is it?? What planet am I on??"

I find the the SCHHHHHHRRRRRRFTTTTT in the wee hours quite soothing...

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Right? Sticking your head out the door like "What year is it?? What planet am I on??"
    Lol. one summer we drove to Downieville carrying a bit of jet lag...got 14 hrs of sleep, and remembering my name and how to form words was a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    First night of my ski season camping in the lot. Filled out a simple form with the resort and was told to make myself at home. How refreshing as opposed to hiding out and sneaking around.
    Maybe this has been asked, but did you make your awning set up? It looks good.

Something I’ve been wanting to do for my minivan camper, for summertime.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    Maybe this has been asked, but did you make your awning set up? It looks good.

Something I’ve been wanting to do for my minivan camper, for summertime.
    Looks like a bought awning. I made an awning for my Astro from walmart for about $25. Tarp, adjustable painter poles, tent stakes and some guy line.

Name:	JSBc38z.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	364783

But I gotta say, the ARB awning on the new minivan is way easier, sturdier and doesn't take up room in the roof box.

Name:	118749627_10102251075752970_4507905062370410112_o.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	841.6 KB 
ID:	364784