Page 255 of 510 FirstFirst ... 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 ... LastLast
Results 6,351 to 6,375 of 12727
    Having rented my first RV this past summer, a 25 footer from CruiseAmerica, I can see exactly what Conundrum is talking about and how that's a nightmare scenario. And I was driving it on the PCH thru Big Sur...lots of twists and ups and downs, but obviously no bad-traction stuff, that would be scary shit.

And I have experience driving big vehicles in the military and with the airlines, but that was always on a flat flight line. Although it was fun spinning donuts and such on an empty icy ramp in the heavy uke aircraft tugs.

Kinda dreaming of that Artic Fox setup Norseman posted a few pages back. Retirement in 15 years, guess I'll start saving.

1997 Ford Club Wagon https://cars.ksl.com/listing/6711107

Paging HTFB...go buy this so I'm not tempted.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    1997 Ford Club Wagon https://cars.ksl.com/listing/6711107

Paging HTFB...go buy this so I'm not tempted.
    Those rims....

What motor?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    What motor?
    Its listed as a V10.

Ok makes sense. It would be $10k more if it had the 7.3 PSD

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

We’ve been very happy with the promaster.
    This will be our 3rd winter and my husband uses it as his daily driver.
    Maybe the lack of 4wd didn’t scare us off by we’ve been driving FWD VW vans for all of our adult lives and it never held us back and we have never felt “we wish we had gotten a 4wd”. But as another poster above mentioned, it’s the #1 question and the answer is no although people tend to not believe it. They must not know about good winter tires on a fwd.
    We’ve only been stuck once in maggot Kokomas’s driveway which was more about my husband driving backwards too fast than anything with the vehicle lol
    The rear axle situation is odd but it’s WAY higher than the eurovan we were replacing it with. We certainly deliberated for a long time before making the purchase
    They do drive way more like a truck than other vans though. We didn’t build ours out too crazily either-built ours with more elbow room and simplicity in mind. No sink, big kitchen set up etc which is what really adds the weight and takes up space.

And with the money saved I’m buying that porsche I’ve been wanting

The people that just discovered winter tires......wowzee. We never take our winter tires off here lol

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    skid luxury

Ok makes sense. It would be $10k more if it had the 7.3 PSD
    I'd have left work early with cash in hand if it was lol. The V10 is a decent motor for what it is. Nice not to deal with a 7.3 in the winter either.

Not sure of the years but some of those V10s have a rep for blowing plugs out of heads. My buddy has one and has never had an issue. Grain of salt...

In all the E350 Ford vans the general consensus is that the V10 is the best combination of power, reliability, and economy.

5.4 gas and 6.0 PSD are opposite end of spectrum.

I can personally tell you no 6.0s. Although mine is pretty rad now. I think the plug issue was a certain year in the pickups. Worth a google though.

In all the E350 Ford vans the general consensus is that the V10 is the best combination of power, reliability, and economy.
    Our Super Duty 450 24 foot class C has the V10 and we like it very much. After 16 years and 128,000 km it is still going strong. It has a sweet spot between 100 and 110 where it is so smooth especially compared to big block V8 Chev U Hauls I have driven. It also really hauls ass in a 24 footer.

The only caution is changing the plugs at 100,000 km. Combine crawling into the van doghouse with crappy two piece Ford plugs that break plus and aluminum heads and there could be a problem. Discretion prevailed and I had the dealer do it so if they broke it they bought it.

Yeah Triton spark plugs are awful. Like having live grenades. Definitely pay someone to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    We’ve been very happy with the promaster.
    This will be our 3rd winter and my husband uses it as his daily driver.
    Maybe the lack of 4wd didn’t scare us off by we’ve been driving FWD VW vans for all of our adult lives and it never held us back and we have never felt “we wish we had gotten a 4wd”. But as another poster above mentioned, it’s the #1 question and the answer is no although people tend to not believe it. They must not know about good winter tires on a fwd.
    We’ve only been stuck once in maggot Kokomas’s driveway which was more about my husband driving backwards too fast than anything with the vehicle lol
    The rear axle situation is odd but it’s WAY higher than the eurovan we were replacing it with. We certainly deliberated for a long time before making the purchase
    They do drive way more like a truck than other vans though. We didn’t build ours out too crazily either-built ours with more elbow room and simplicity in mind. No sink, big kitchen set up etc which is what really adds the weight and takes up space.

And with the money saved I’m buying that porsche I’ve been wanting

The people that just discovered winter tires......wowzee. We never take our winter tires off here lol

Did you do the not so crazy build out yourselves? I want to build mine out mainly for day tripping having an indoor spot to eat and chill. Swivel seats and table facing the kids. Room for gear in the back. No plumbing or sleeping arrangements. I am like 40% handy and wondering if I can do all else if I can get someone else to swivel my seats.
    Uno mas

Yup. I have a hard no 6.0 rule. Honestly if I wasn't in the middle of moving and buying a house I'd go look at it. Been thinking about a truck with the V10 for a cheap tow rig but they are getting kind of scarce in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Did you do the not so crazy build out yourselves? I want to build mine out mainly for day tripping having an indoor spot to eat and chill. Swivel seats and table facing the kids. Room for gear in the back. No plumbing or sleeping arrangements. I am like 40% handy and wondering if I can do all else if I can get someone else to swivel my seats.
    if you're 40% handy, I think you can swivel your own seats. just buy a kit and bolt it in.

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    if you're 40% handy, I think you can swivel your own seats. just buy a kit and bolt it in.
    That’s the spirit! My wife may put it lower but I am trying to average out our collective opinion of my wrenching skills. There are wires!!!!
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    We never take our winter tires off here lol

You just like chewing through that good traction on the hot pavement, huh?

I've thought of going that route -- a cab & chassis with a camper specific utility box. A C&C is priced a lot cheaper than a pickup and the difference almost pays for the utility box.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Always thought the utility box would be cool when I had F350 with slide in. If you could have it with a full length side cabinet over the wheel well, that would solve a lot of ski storage issues that can come with slide ins.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    You just like chewing through that good traction on the hot pavement, huh?
    if we drove more in the summer I'd consider it, but also changing tires out for the 10 weeks of summer started to seem like a silly waste of time and space in my garage :P
    we are both <5 miles from our places of work too so we ride our bikes. even picked up one of those chariot-esque trailers so I could still ride and bring my dog to the office.

@Doremite- I dont think the swivel chairs were difficult to install. My husband was only 10% handy when he started on the van and he was able to do that.
    on the swivel chair note though- the promaster already sits you up quite high, and then the swivel adds something like another 3/4" to the height. I seem to recall 2 options- one with a little less rise and the one we got and I would go with the least height addition you can get bc it is noticeable.

I would try to test drive a promaster first though bc the doors are really tall and skinny and I felt the seats were a bit higher than in other vans we tried.
    But you also can't judge it if you test drive it blank in the back bc it drove and sounded like sh*t when we first got it before doing any insulation and work on it so ideally one that has something in the back - work or vanlife
    The built in storage on a high roof promaster is also dope. My friends with sprinters had to add what comes stock (it's over the driver/ passenger space)

I may be wrong on this or it may have changed with newer models, but I believe adding the espar heater was a much easier endeavor on the promaster than on sprinters and transits bc the promaster comes with an auxiliary port on the gas tank. And that heater has been MF'ing AWESOME. you set it like a thermostat in your house and your van stays that temp. so nice when you get done from skiing etc
    skid luxury

Swivel chairs will have the seat movement controls and airbag sensor. You should be able to get the same connectors, little sections of wire, crimpers, wire loom, and some electrical tape. You just need to extend the length of the connections if they are not long enough to accommodate the swivel. Other than buying the stuff on amazon, it should add about 5-10 minutes of time per swivel install.

My FIL is currently driving his promaster back thru JH after having his buildout done in CO. He commented the same regarding the van drives and seems more solid with a modest build, weight, and insulation added. He’s super pumped and I’m happy for him. He hardly treats himself to nice things.

And another note on winter tires- for years I thought my performance oriented tires (aftermarket wheels) that were mud and snow rated were adequate but they’re no match for blizzacks.

What Porsche do you desire bb?

Nokian brought out a new heavy truck tire last Fall. The Hakka LT3 is Load range E/Load index 120 and fully studded.
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-winter-tires/
    Covid willing I'll put a set on the class C for this ski season. Still not four wheel drive but if these tires can't do it I shouldn't be on the road.

Rent an overlander. I spotted this rental option at Fraserway RV. They are a big rental operation all over BC and it would be an interesting option for skiing. The Fraserway units are not the highest quality but should still do the job as a rental.