Page 166 of 510 FirstFirst ... 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 ... LastLast
Results 4,126 to 4,150 of 12727

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

I pulled into Meiss Meadows @ Carson Pass last weekend, with the 12-14” on the ground I would have been anchored in the morning. So we went down to Blue Lakes. Cleared and nearly empty.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I have almost the exact same truck and have been looking into a Hawk if I don't just trade it in for a van. How's it drive with that on the back and how did it do camping in a snowstorm?
    I had two different FWC Hawks on an older F-150, now have the newer (2014) Hawk on a 2017 Tundra. Both had supplemental suspension (air bags, Sumo Springs or helper springs) and both drove as one would expect a 1/2-ton pickup with supplemental springs and 900 pounds in the bed to drive, i.e., just fine, almost as if the camper isn't there. You'll notice strong winds, although not as bad as a hardside camper. I addressed that issue with a DIY fairing and picked up >1MPG too. (Pics of fairing in previous page on this thread.)

Re camping with a FWC in a snowstorm: Not bad and kinda fun if you have the FWC Arctic Pack liner and you do it right. If you expect lots of snow, strap a short Al ladder on the back of the camper and carry a snow rake. FTR, we do not use the furnace at night, sleep in winter sleeping bags and crank the furnace in the morning.

Just swapped shell for camper.

Been a few months since it was on... truck now has new shoes and bags instead of add-a-leaf.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181209_152216121.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	259291

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    i love shit like this

[/video]
    That was interesting, but sounds like it was produced by the son of one of the engineers that has a dozen units in storage, trying to cash out.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

Been a few months since it was on... truck now has new shoes and bags instead of add-a-leaf.

nice rig!! come back to JH we can find some place for you to park
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    That was interesting, but sounds like it was produced by the son of one of the engineers that has a dozen units in storage, trying to cash out.
    give two flying fucks about that shit, the engineering though.

b bear. watch that tap on the drivers side w the coat hanger.

b bear. watch that tap on the drivers side w the coat hanger.
    thank you. super good intel
    luckily i just usually lv the keys in the console around here

but will note for sure in urban areas and why we keep the exterior low key
    skid luxury

Better pad those tie downs for the frame flex. Nice rig, BTW.

And maybe consider taking off the awning for the winter. Those things are pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    thank you. super good intel
    luckily i just usually lv the keys in the console around here

but will note for sure in urban areas and why we keep the exterior low key
    werd. i used a plastic smiths key thing bullshit and 2 pieces of black electric tape.

meth heads.

reverse engineer any problem and see the solution

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    I had two different FWC Hawks on an older F-150, now have the newer (2014) Hawk on a 2017 Tundra. Both had supplemental suspension (air bags, Sumo Springs or helper springs) and both drove as one would expect a 1/2-ton pickup with supplemental springs and 900 pounds in the bed to drive, i.e., just fine, almost as if the camper isn't there. You'll notice strong winds, although not as bad as a hardside camper. I addressed that issue with a DIY fairing and picked up >1MPG too. (Pics of fairing in previous page on this thread.)

Re camping with a FWC in a snowstorm: Not bad and kinda fun if you have the FWC Arctic Pack liner and you do it right. If you expect lots of snow, strap a short Al ladder on the back of the camper and carry a snow rake. FTR, we do not use the furnace at night, sleep in winter sleeping bags and crank the furnace in the morning.
    Thoughts on air bags vs sumo springs?

StableLoads came with my camper, but I don't think I need them. I feel like air bags or something similar (sumo, timbren) that doesn't engage until it's needed might be better. Having the upper overload spring constantly engaged feels odd.

Also, the sleeping bag thing is hardcore. Any downsides? Any upsides (other than saving 5 bucks of propane)? The furnace either adds moisture from propane or helps with moisture because of temp gradient and vapor drive, depending on whom I talk to.

Your camper looks sick. Not sure I've seen a pic where it wasn't covered in snow.

We did our maiden voyage this weekend. Addictive...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Thoughts on air bags vs sumo springs?
    Air bag pressure is adjustable, so better when they work (i.e., no leaks). The air bags on my old truck failed after a few years. Sumo Springs are poor man's airbags, bomber, simple and work fine for my rig.

Also, the sleeping bag thing is hardcore. Any downsides? Any upsides (other than saving 5 bucks of propane)?
    The upside is that we sleep better. Maybe it's partly because each of us have spent lots of nights in tents on cold mountaineering trips and compared to that the camper is luxury, although the bigger reason is that the furnace thermostat on/off window range in cold weather is est. 15F, so when we run the furnace we're frequently adjusting our covers or we're either too warm or too cool, and either way it disrupts our sleep.

Propane use is not an issue. OTOH, battery draw to operate the furnace fan can be an issue for some rigs in cold weather.

I can think of no obvious downside except, maybe, increased condensation issues in some conditions.

In really cold temps we have the option of using the furnace, although we have not done so since we switched to winter bags/no furnace. FTR, our coldest night was around -15F, not as as cold as it gets in much of the interior west.

I've give my right arm to be ambidextrous
    Heheheh I see what you did there

Maybe it's partly because each of us have spent lots of nights in tents on cold mountaineering trips and compared to that the camper is luxury, although the bigger reason is that the furnace thermostat on/off window range in cold weather is est. 15F, so when we run the furnace we're frequently adjusting our covers or we're either too warm or too cool, and either way it disrupts our sleep.
    I got a digital garage thermostat on amazon for around $30 that has been well worth it. It keep's it around 3-5*F of the temp I set it to.

nice! just curious, what's your solution for ski storage?

Air bag pressure is adjustable, so better when they work (i.e., no leaks). The air bags on my old truck failed after a few years. Sumo Springs are poor man's airbags, bomber, simple and work fine for my rig.

The upside is that we sleep better. Maybe it's partly because each of us have spent lots of nights in tents on cold mountaineering trips and compared to that the camper is luxury, although the bigger reason is that the furnace thermostat on/off window range in cold weather is est. 15F, so when we run the furnace we're frequently adjusting our covers or we're either too warm or too cool, and either way it disrupts our sleep.

Propane use is not an issue. OTOH, battery draw to operate the furnace fan can be an issue for some rigs in cold weather.

I can think of no obvious downside except, maybe, increased condensation issues in some conditions.

In really cold temps we have the option of using the furnace, although we have not done so since we switched to winter bags/no furnace. FTR, our coldest night was around -15F, not as as cold as it gets in much of the interior west.
    Excellent info. Many thanks. -15f is colder than I've ever experienced, day or night. Have to wear a face mask? Based on skiing a few days just below zero, I'm guessing you don't leave any exposed skin.

Good point on battery drain. I definitely want to upgrade from the stock lead acid 6 volts.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I put mine in the bathroom. Worked out well especially after skiing (kept moisture quarantined and water ran down the drain). The basement works too, if you have a basement and a tray/drawer that won't let water drip onto the plywood underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by McScrundle View Post
    I got a digital garage thermostat on amazon for around $30 that has been well worth it. It keep's it around 3-5*F of the temp I set it to.
    garage t-stat is the key

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    come back to JH we can find some place for you to park
    Thanks C... I had rough plans to ski out there for a week post-BBiUT, but that time got swallowed by the Swiss trip

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Better pad those tie downs for the frame flex. Nice rig, BTW.

And maybe consider taking off the awning for the winter. Those things are pricey.

Aimed at me? (unsure) ... Tiedowns are spring-loaded. And the awning gets used a lot in the winter... lot 4 party shelter yeew

I feel like air bags or something similar (sumo, timbren) that doesn't engage until it's needed might be better. Having the upper overload spring constantly engaged feels odd.
    I had Timbrens previously and hated them. I bet they're much better on a real truck though... my little half-ton's bed is too flexible and the springs at the time were too weak, so the Timbrens were loaded quite a bit and acted sorta like a single pivot point for the weight of the camper. I've since put heavy Old Man Emu Dakar leafpacks in, which distribute the weight to the frame much better.

This summer I took out the add-a-leaf from each pack, and will embark on the airbag experiment shortly. I think it's still probably best to have the leaves carry most of the load, but the ability to level the bed side to side was too tempting. I'll be tweaking pressures and will take notes.

Also, the sleeping bag thing is hardcore. Any downsides? Any upsides (other than saving 5 bucks of propane)? The furnace either adds moisture from propane or helps with moisture because of temp gradient and vapor drive, depending on whom I talk to.
    Here's an upside: if your battery or propane runs out, you don't have to get up and deal with it. Best to always have the blanketude to deal.

I usually set the t-stat to like 50F overnight. You're spot on about temp gradient.

Your camper looks sick. Not sure I've seen a pic where it wasn't covered in snow.

We did our maiden voyage this weekend. Addictive...
    My camper is a sagging old mare, rode hard and (always) put away wet. It's a patched and polished turd. But it suits the need for a barebones winter rig.

Glad you're stoked... it's a fun way to travel.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I put mine in the bathroom. Worked out well especially after skiing (kept moisture quarantined and water ran down the drain). The basement works too, if you have a basement and a tray/drawer that won't let water drip onto the plywood underneath.
    My skis don't fit in the bathroom, unfortunately. No basement storage, either, but the rig is 6 or 8 inches shorter for it. Skis ride on the camper floor when moving, and sleep in the truck cab, reclined on the passenger seat.

"here's an upside...

I usually set the t-stat to like 50F overnight. You're spot on about temp gradient."

I think I'm destined to be the spoiled dentist of truck campers. 67 degrees felt a bit chilly. 69 was just right.

One can of LPG lasted 2 weeks running the furnace at 45 in the driveway and an entire weekend of running 60-69 at the mountain--much of it with the window cracked and vent fan on 10%. Furnace hardly ever came on once up to temp. Exterior temps ranged 23-32. Also fired up the water heater to see if it would work.

But yes, we do have 20 degree bags with us just in case, and that's a good point.

"I had Timbrens previously and hated them.... "
    I can understand that pivot point thing. I think that's the polarizing factor in the popularity of air bags. I always just figured turn down the pressure, eh!?

"ability to level the bed side to side was too tempting. I'll be tweaking pressures and will take notes. "

Thank you. I'm checking out the big wig sway bar for this. I don't feel like the sway is an issue, but I don't want it to ever suddenly feel like an issue in the wind. Ever tried the TRD sway bar? I loved mine, but would have liked it better if it was even beefier (I don't off-road enough to need the articulation).

"My camper is a sagging old mare, rode hard and (always) put away wet."

Nah man. Mega character. You and Woody were right on in steering me toward an older one. I felt like inventory wasn't there locally but by the time you add the wear and tear from skis/boots/moisture, I sort of wish I rolled the dice on one of those old bigfoots up by you guys. Don't tell Woody he was right... He did his best to talk me into that, and I totally had one of his BG full circle moments after it was too late.

"Awning"

Agree 110%. I left my side awning on specifically for BBI(s). Looking into drop curtains to offer maximum wind-free chillin/chuck wagon space. Just wish I knew how much wind they could take before committing.

Been flipping through this a lot lately. Made me want to move to a truck + slide in but can't bring myself to even think about swapping out my land cruiser for one at this point. Probably will end up with a small trailer like a scamp at some point.

found this on CL today though.

https://eugene.craigslist.org/rvs/d/...738953403.html

also this gem:
    https://bend.craigslist.org/rvs/d/al...764258972.html

Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniacman129 View Post
    Been flipping through this a lot lately. Made me want to move to a truck + slide in but can't bring myself to even think about swapping out my land cruiser for one at this point. Probably will end up with a small trailer like a scamp at some point.

also this gem:
    I was in love with a lifted, winch-bumpered 4Runner... took a couple of years living here for it to click that there's nowhere cool to wheel in Washington. Well, maybe a couple places, but full size trucks can drive there, too.

Unless you enjoy bashing around in the stupid heavy timber and mud, a truly capable 4x4 is just wasting gas and limiting other functions.

4 doors and a 6ft bed open up a pile of utility. I fucking love having the quiver of truck modes: open bed, topper, camper. Better power and economy, too.

LandCruisers are sick and I'd have one if I live in MT, CO, etc.

I was in love with a lifted, winch-bumpered 4Runner... took a couple of years living here for it to click that there's nowhere cool to wheel in Washington. Well, maybe a couple places, but full size trucks can drive there, too.

Unless you enjoy bashing around in the fucking heavy timber and mud, a truly capable 4x4 is just wasting gas and limiting other functions.

4 doors and a 6ft bed open up a pile of utility. I fucking love having the quiver of truck modes: open bed, topper, camper. Better power and economy, too.
    The logic of a truck is all there, I just don't think i'm there yet.
    I bought my 96 80 series with 84k on it and a thrown rod. Built a new motor for it myself and have been driving it for ~6 months now. Smart me would cash in on a super clean <100k, locked 80 series and buy a very nice truck. Child me can't get over the fun/capability of the cruiser & emotional attachment.
    A 1 ton would get the same if not better MPG, even with a hardside slide in too.

The logic of a truck is all there, I just don't think i'm there yet.
    I bought my 96 80 series with 84k on it and a thrown rod. Built a new motor for it myself and have been driving it for ~6 months now. Smart me would cash in on a super clean <100k, locked 80 series and buy a very nice truck. Child me can't get over the fun/capability of the cruiser & emotional attachment.
    A 1 ton would get the same if not better MPG, even with a hardside slide in too.
    As fellow locked 80iot... just keep it. If you sell it you'll regret it. A low mile 80 series is going to appreciate a lot in the next few years, look at what 60 series are running these days.

Instead save your pennies each month and in a year or two get a 2000ish gas 3/4 or 1 ton Chevy or Ford for cheap.

But I'm all about the vehicle quiver. And I get a lot of pleasure from driving my totally overkill 80.

give two flying fucks about that shit, the engineering though.
    Well that was my point. According to some of the mechanics in the comment section, the engineering wasn’t all that great. The lack of a driveshaft is nice of course, but I’m not sure I’m sold on the notion of a front wheel drive RV. Does that get up steep icy hills well? Some of the mechanics were saying the hubs were blowing out etc. the vid OP had nothing negative to say that I recall. But I’m not in the market for an urban assault vehicle so I really haven’t studied them much.

also this gem:
    Is a hard sided pop up the best of both worlds?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums