Page 197 of 510 FirstFirst ... 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,925 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    I like the Revel as well. I see a different one just about every day. W must be selling a crazy amount of them.
    I think there are three of them on my street alone.

Minot sure why you would drop 150k+ on one of those instead of having one custom done that fits exactly what you need for less and better quality. Or am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Minot sure why you would drop 150k+ on one of those instead of having one custom done that fits exactly what you need for less and better quality. Or am I missing something?Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Revel's do not cost $150K+, that is just the MSRP. Most people pay less than $120K for them and mine was only $110K (all taxes and reg/title fees included). Something custom, that has all of the features included with the Revel, is going to be closer to $200K. Also, there is no wait. When I found the Revel and learned that I could easily afford it with 20 year financing (I put a lot of $ down and will likely pay off in 10 years or less), I had one on my driveway in 2 weeks. Are the finishes as good as custom? No, but it is easily the best deal in a 4x4 Sprinter RV.

Agreed on best deal.

New Sportsmobile based on old E350 chassis is $180k. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Agreed on best deal.

New Sportsmobile based on old E350 chassis is $180k. Lol
    I think your estimate on Sportsmobile is a little on the high end.

I was looking at a Revel and decided on Sportsmobile b/c the cost out the door was only incremental for the upfitting side.....difference in I got a 170 extended 3500.

The main difference is you can't get a Sportsmobile off the lot. Mine took about 7 months others have taken longer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OldMil View Post
    20 year financing

.....wtf.?.?.....

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    .....wtf.?.?.....
    Friends bought a Travato on a 20 year note. Second mortgage seems a bit insane for a depreciating asset.

Buy a solid pickup for 4k, drop a grandma/pa camper in it for 1k, wire and plumb it for under a grand, and travel the world.

Fuck this vanlife shit.

Quote Originally Posted by myles long View Post
    I think your estimate on Sportsmobile is a little on the high end.
    Sorry, I was a little low. $192k for the new Sportsmobile Classic based on the old Ford E350 chassis

https://youtu.be/zXzaMBmrUf8

Just a tad smaller than your Sprinter but a bit more badass and rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Friends bought a Travato on a 20 year note. Second mortgage seems a bit insane for a depreciating asset.
    For some, sure. I am 50 with no family and a pretty decent income. I could have paid cash from my van but did not want to deplete most of my savings. I am no financial expert and I'm sure those with more knowledge than me would have done it differently, but you only live once and I went for it and am very happy. Also, while ultimately my van will be a depreciating asset, many people have been selling their 2 year old Revels for the same price they paid or even more as the new model is more expensive. So, as for now, they are depreciating slowly. Also, just look at the astronomical prices that Westfalia's are going for.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    I bought this back in April for my work. $53k new from the Ford dealer. 2018 Transit 350 LWB, High Roof w/ 3.5 Ecoboost and Quigley 4x4 conversion. If I had $100k personally, I would start with this and have someone do a $50k custom build. That may require some choices and sacrifices, but I think the end product is better. My parents are likely in Revel shopping mode right now, but I just see too much of a travel trailer vibe from the interior.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    I bought this back in April for my work. $53k new from the Ford dealer. 2018 Transit 350 LWB, High Roof w/ 3.5 Ecoboost and Quigley 4x4 conversion. If I had $100k personally, I would start with this and have someone do a $50k custom build. That may require some choices and sacrifices, but I think the end product is better. My parents are likely in Revel shopping mode right now, but I just see too much of a travel trailer vibe from the interior.
    Sweet ride....I looked REALLY hard at the transit with a Quigley conversion too. Looks like many cool adventures ahead.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The transits are nice. My brother had a passenger version with medium roof and it was amazing. The ecoboost felt crazy for a big passenger van. I'm going to take a hard look at the awd version when it comes out.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    2020 Transit now have a factory AWD option. Which really isn't that far away in capability from the Sprinter 4x4 implementation from what I've been reading. Seems like AWD would serve the average skier camper van use case well. Ground clearance still lower on the Ford tho. I also appreciate the Revel build for what it is.... I wonder if they plan to do something similar on a 170 platform.

For those that have gone the custom route, is $50 to $70k in the realm of possibility for a 'typical' custom build (not including van price) from well regarded builders with good history, proven experience ( examples Sync, Nomad, Momentum, TouRig, Sportsmobile). Not talking extravagant options, finishes. But typical requirements like cooktop/galley, cassette toilet, solar, good battery system etc. The ballpark quote I received from OutsideVan was absurd, but I'm hoping they are an outlier due to their over the top adventure bro van hipster status. I know there are tons of super 'boutique' builders (random guys who enjoy building shit in vans as a side hustle) but if spending this kind of money, want something that has a bit of pedigree behind it in case you want to sell it down the road. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    2020 Transit now have a factory AWD option. Which really isn't that far away in capability from the Sprinter 4x4 implementation from what I've been reading. Seems like AWD would serve the average skier camper van use case well. Ground clearance still lower on the Ford tho. I also appreciate the Revel build for what it is.... I wonder if they plan to do something similar on a 170 platform.

For those that have gone the custom route, is $50 to $70k in the realm of possibility for a 'typical' custom build (not including van price) from well regarded builders with good history, proven experience ( examples Sync, Nomad, Momentum, TouRig, Sportsmobile). Not talking extravagant options, finishes. But typical requirements like cooktop/galley, cassette toilet, solar, good battery system etc. The ballpark quote I received from OutsideVan was absurd, but I'm hoping they are an outlier due to their over the top adventure bro van hipster status. I know there are tons of super 'boutique' builders (random guys who enjoy building shit in vans as a side hustle) but if spending this kind of money, want something that has a bit of pedigree behind it in case you want to sell it down the road. thanks.
    In my research OutsideVan quotes were absurd, unless thats just them being too busy and not wanting more work. I think a 50-70K in upfitting budget lands you in the 100-130K range depending on the chassis selected, which depending on options is a good range.

One thing to consider is if the up-fitter is certified or endorsed by the manufacturer. There might be less expensive up fitters who are not and could risk manufacture warranties on a new ride...

Both neighbors on either side had 4x4 Sprinters converted. One went SMB at $132k all in and was 8 months behind projected schedule. Other neighbor sourced the Sprinter 4x4 himself and took it to a local van conversion company that specializes in disabled people vans. Came in $80-90k total and that one seems nicer. The SMB has had a few systems problems while the ADA van hasn't had any. Pays to shop around. I have an '04 Ford SMB conversion. Granted, it's 15 years old but when you look behind the panels at the wiring, I think I could have done a better job. I think the conversion in '04 was all in $130kish with 4x4 conversion. I definitely wasn't close to that when I bought it a few years ago. I've slowly been replacing different things in the van over the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdad View Post
    Gracing lot 3 this winter
    Attachment 290630
    Those are quite comfy. Checked one out for Burning Man to tow behind my RV.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Those are quite comfy. Checked one out for Burning Man to tow behind my RV.
    Condensation and frozen weather stripping that sticks to the extruded aluminum can be an issue, at least on the Aliner I had which is similar construction. Plus they are drafty and not very efficient in cold weather and the outer panel material expands at a different rate than the window material. Cracks and leaks at the window corners was a constant issue on my Aliner. They are light and nice for rougher roads if you do some rebuilding to shore things up, and they set up and take down quickly (assuming the foam weather stripping isn't frozen to the aluminum rails). Strong winds can be an issue once set up if you don't orient them right. I finally sold my Aliner expedition, but got several good years out of it.

Editing this to add tips I came across for better weatherproofing for cheap on the aliner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFb6gU6EcEU
    Last edited by 3PinGrin; 08-21-2019 at 09:09 PM.

One other thing to consider is the Adventure Wagon DIY kit and a MOAB bed. That looks like a pretty cool combo and they have a weekend class you can take to get it installed with some help.

I also appreciate the Revel build for what it is.... I wonder if they plan to do something similar on a 170 platform.
    Winnebago makes the ERA with 4WD option now.

https://winnebagoind.com/products/cl...9/era/overview

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMil View Post
    Winnebago makes the ERA with 4WD option now.

https://winnebagoind.com/products/cl...9/era/overview
    Yep. unfortunately only sleeps, seats 3 tho. I also appreciate the gear/toy storage adventure focus of the Revel. I bet a seats 4/sleeps 4 Revel in a 170 would probably sell well for Winnebago.

I'd have to think long and hard before dropping that much for an upfit.

A nice slide in truck camper made for cold weather plus a gasser one ton can be had for less. Guess it all depends on what you want. Slide in campers don't have the ultra cool hipster status that vans do.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Having had a slide in and a van, I like the van. I don't care about the image. I do like not getting out of the truck for everything and the van drives pretty well. I hated taking the slide in out to use my truck as a truck. If I couldn't have both a pickup and a van, I would definitely go the slide in route though.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Having had a slide in and a van, I like the van. I don't care about the image. I do like not getting out of the truck for everything and the van drives pretty well. I hated taking the slide in out to use my truck as a truck. If I couldn't have both a pickup and a van, I would definitely go the slide in route though.
    I agree. while I can see the pros of the truck/slide-in, I just prefer the van accessibility.
    it's annoying that vans are mainstream cool now bc I get lumped in with the dipshits, when people used to scoff at my vehicle choice. but I can't help it, I'm hooked and will probably always have to have one
    trucks are handy too but in the winter not having to go outside is worth it's weight in gold for me
    skid luxury

I got a sale question note on my van recently. Even though it is on blocks mid-repair. People want a 4x4 #vanlife