Page 376 of 510 FirstFirst ... 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 ... LastLast
Results 9,376 to 9,400 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Not a bad idea, but that limits you to one ski pair per pipe length, no?
    Indeed it does. But picture this.

You rig a spring mechanism inside the tubes with a remote control actuators. Then you can open the tube you want and say “FIRE TORPEDO 2!” And hit the button and your skis come flying out at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Indeed it does. But picture this.

You rig a spring mechanism inside the tubes with a remote control actuators. Then you can open the tube you want and say “FIRE TORPEDO 2!” And hit the button and your skis come flying out at you.
    Or.. OR roof mount the tubes with garbage skis and fire them at beaters slowing traffic because they didn't chain up or aren't running snow tires. OUT OF THE WAY, PEASANT!! pew pew pew FIRE SKIS!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Could a ski locker (like at a base lodge) be used as a van box?
    My buddy's dad built a plywood box just like that for their van back in the early 80's . It worked really well. The guy was a surgeon but grew up poor so he made some pretty cool detailed shit rather than buying things.

Quote Originally Posted by cstefanic View Post
    I'm sure they've done the math but man I don't know how that doesn't just torque that post and snap like a toothpick when a box+gear starts wobbling.

Attachment 395728

I agree it looks silly but I doubt it would snap if it can carry also 6 bikes on that post. I wish it was somehow mounted vertical, then you could tip the rack down and load/unload.

This option on the same rack makes more sense, and shows straps but I'd probably rip my skis off at some point in a parking lot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof-rak-adaptor-for-alta-racks-with-ski-and-snowboard-carrier-the-only-rack-that-converts-to-wi.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	487.3 KB 
ID:	395747

Anyways, I'll have to stick to the super sketch rocketbox on top of my 8' van, ha. Wish my ladder was in the back!

Kya (doesn't post here much anymore) built these up for me. I still have a Yakima up top for longer trips or to lock them up. Not sure why the photos flipped but you get the idea.

Name:	20211103_162223.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	395749

Name:	20211103_162203.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	395750

Name:	20211103_162151.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	946.0 KB 
ID:	395751

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I'm showing people how much money I have with my 1982 Winnebago. If anything the rocketbox makes it look ritzy.
    We need some inside picture of your rig! I look at it as a 150k+ sprinter van with a 145k rebate!

Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    We need some inside picture of your rig! I look at it as a 150k+ sprinter van with a 145k rebate!
    That's how I look at it, too. $100k will buy a lot of diesel. Arguably it's not as nice as a Sprinter, but being able to put 5 fully assembled bikes inside and STILL walk around is pretty sweet. The interior is on its 2nd remodel. I replaced the shower with a closet, but it still has a toilet, which is not optional in my view.

The platform inside of the rocket box is 3/4 ply scribed to the profile of the box, so it is a light friction fit. I think I put a couple of screws into it through the lip of the box. The divider is just plywood with 4 notches and ski straps around it, so 4 sets of skis fit and are each secured independently. It has survived several thousand miles of roads and a couple hundred miles of washboarded dirt at 45-50mph (Ms CE likes to really rally the thing on dirt).

Who needs to go faster than 30mph on a mountain pass, anyway?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16389122099051.jpeg 
Views:	170 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	395765Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16389121805550.jpeg 
Views:	203 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	395766
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    People who have done the Chinese diesel heater in a box thing: what are you powering it off of overnight? Mine is nearing completion but I don't have a house battery (and finding room for a permanent one in our sienna camper might be tricky), so was thinking about a jackery or similar. Any relevant experiences?

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Late to reply, but..... You need up to 12 amps to power the glow plug on start up. Most of the Jackery/ Bluetti type solar generators are capped at 10 amps. I found a chinese brand that also works as a jumpstarter. Its an Audew 300 watt solar generator. It was cheap too, less than 150.00. Works great. Google hobotech audew on youtube and that dude will tell you all about it, and may have a link and code for a cheaper offering.

That's how I look at it, too. $100k will buy a lot of diesel. Arguably it's not as nice as a Sprinter, but being able to put 5 fully assembled bikes inside and STILL walk around is pretty sweet. The interior is on its 2nd remodel. I replaced the shower with a closet, but it still has a toilet, which is not optional in my view.

When you can get into a decent class C for so much less $ than any kind of Sprinter it's hard to justify all that extra money for all that less space and comfort. Also note the three burner stove and oven. Nothing beats coming off the hill to a hot roast beef dinner with all the fixings. You can't get an oven nor a 3 burner stove even in $175K rigs.

Looks a lot like my boat.

The platform inside of the rocket box is 3/4 ply scribed to the profile of the box, so it is a light friction fit. I think I put a couple of screws into it through the lip of the box. The divider is just plywood with 4 notches and ski straps around it, so 4 sets of skis fit and are each secured independently. It has survived several thousand miles of roads and a couple hundred miles of washboarded dirt at 45-50mph (Ms CE likes to really rally the thing on dirt).

Who needs to go faster than 30mph on a mountain pass, anyway?Click image for larger version. 

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

who the fuck eats a roast beef dinner? sounds nasty
    ya'll need to get the 4,500 roof rack and you mount the rocket box onto the roof rack and then don't for get the 1000 ladder to get up there to get to your gear

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    I do. And for dessert.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I do. And for dessert.
    Beat me to it

ya'll need to get the 4,500 roof rack and you mount the rocket box onto the roof rack and then don't for get the 1000 ladder to get up there to get to your gear
    I use the oven to bake bread and to roast potatoes.
    Roast beef is best as a midday snack.

That reminds me-- my painter promised me he'd give me an ancient reject extension ladder so I can upgrade the on one the 'ol Bago.

Wait until you see the bike garage thing I just built (largely from shit I had in my boneyard) for the back of it so the $30k worth of bikes can be enclosed rather than just dangling out there, tempting folks from ISBM's hood to relieve us if the burden of ownership.
    Last edited by climberevan; 12-07-2021 at 07:55 PM.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I do. And for dessert.
    :::slow clap:::

…and we’re back to the beginning, where someone a couple of pages ago asked about accessible ski storage to avoid climbing up on the goddamn roof.

Anyway the 6” drain pipe doesn’t work. Source: I got 6” pipe section a while back and confirmed it wouldn’t fit most of my quiver either because of tip width or heel piece height. But if you’re a skate skier or Skimo guy, have at it.

I did look into 7”x7” rectangular channel but it would end up being $$$$ which defeats the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    …and we’re back to the beginning, where someone a couple of pages ago asked about accessible ski storage to avoid climbing up on the goddamn roof.

Anyway the 6” drain pipe doesn’t work. Source: I got 6” pipe section a while back and confirmed it wouldn’t fit most of my quiver either because of tip width or heel piece height. But if you’re a skate skier or Skimo guy, have at it.

I did look into 7”x7” rectangular channel but it would end up being $$$$ which defeats the purpose.
    8" pipe it is then

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    heel piece?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I prefer girls with fair skin tone
    and I like my vehicles pimped

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    heel piece?
    Well, not all heel pieces are low profile, so if the binding is 2.5"+ in height, mounted where the ski is 1/2"+ thick, then there is your 6"+ and too tight for a 6" tube unless you only put one ski per tube instead of one pair per tube.
    Last edited by DanoT; 12-08-2021 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Well, not all heel pieces are low profile, so if the binding is 2.5"+ in height, mounted where the ski is 1/2"+ thick, then there is your 6"+ and too tight for a 6" tube unless you only put one ski per tube instead of one pair per tube.
    the question was because I've never seen him wear heels (he teles).
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

My skis with rotte Freeride bindings don’t fit a 6” tube. My 115 waist pow AT skis (marker Alpinists) don’t fit at the tip. My midfat skis with Vipec Evos don’t fit at the heel piece in tour or descent mode.

However I have a pair of 98 waist skis with alpinists that barely fit a 6” tube.

I’m probably not the only Tele skier here who somehow has accumulated 6 pairs of AT skis.

I made a waterproof tray out of an old waterbed and keep six pairs in the class C cab over space. Warm, dry, secure

I'm showing people how much money I have with my 1982 Winnebago. If anything the rocketbox makes it look ritzy.
    Heroic! nice what a bunch of $ can do, sure, but your rig is what i like to see. sweet!

Haven’t read through this thread, so if this has already been covered let me know and I’ll go look.

Just came into possession of a class-C RV. I’m sure it wasn’t built with cold winter use in mind. What do you guys do about the water systems in the mountains? Do you manage to insulate them sufficiently so that you can use them when it is freezing outside, or do you just pour antifreeze in the water and wait for spring?