Page 249 of 508 FirstFirst ... 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 ... LastLast
Results 6,201 to 6,225 of 12697
    Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Going to look at this thing tomorrow.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trail...per/1519218730
    Check the floor by the door for soft spots, in front of the shower, and in and around the propane cabinet. The rear end of mine was totally rotted and it looked nicer than that one, was newer, and more expensive. It wasn't fun repairing it, they are not designed to be repaired. If there are any mods on the outside, like anything mounted to it, have a good look at that. The shell is pretty easy to inspect, same thing with any leaks. Check under the windows. Looks sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Hood View Post
    Any words of wisdom about towing trailers in the winter?

I have a Ram 3500 Cummins with 27’ Airstream trailer is 5,850lbs.

I have thousands of Miles with this set up, but none on snowpack.

Truck has studs. Weight distribution hitch and sway are designed for use in all road conditions. Have Chains for the truck and the trailer (front axle)

I know not to use the exhaust brake. I also know the rules of the resorts in my region about what is on and not ok for trailers. I also.know how to not let shit freeze while camping and all. What else do I not know particularly about driving on ice and snow while towing?
    Drive slower than when roads are clear. Trailer braking gain should be the opposite of summer with the truck brakes working harder than the trailer's; with the 1ton diesel dodge, this should cause no issues with handling. Don't storm chase, wait for the weather and roads to clear.
    And drive slower. If the other users of the road aren't honking and flipping you the bird, you are probably driving too fast.

20ft FC bambi here. A few trips late fall with nights dipping below -10C, but days above zero, and no issues with freezing. A few trips mid to late winter. Once the days are consistently below freezing, we winterize the pipes and empty the tanks. Been more than comfortable down below -25C overnight with some condensation mgmt. We've put in the dexter 3" lift, never have put chains on her. I've pulled covered sled trailers and used chains, mostly on plowed forestry roads, and it sucks but it does keep the trailer a bit more under control. Tire chains will rattle the shit out of the trailer though - in an airstream it would be like driving on washboard so expect to replace a few interior rivets at the least. Lowering the trailer tire pressure a bit helps, and it's not like you need the high pressure to help dissipate tire heat.
    And did I mention that in shit winter road conditions, you'll be driving slower than everyone else?

Anyone have experience with Four Wheel Pop Ups out of California? Thinking about addInd to, or replacing, our Airstream (1972 Airstream), and the new units look very appealing.

Thanks!
    My brother in law picked one up several months ago and he loves it. Very good use of space, very well thought out. Build quality seems good as he’s had no problems, albeit it’s still fairly new and hasn’t seen a full winter. And the bed is massive.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Planning on spending this coming winter in my van (Nissan NV2500) based in Mammoth. I have been living in my van for 3 years but never stayed in the mountains in the winter. Any general tips? I am installing a Chinese diesel heater. I reapplied sealant on any potential water ingress spots on the roof. I usually cook on an induction hot plate and never have an issue with battery capacity but I will be picking up a small propane camp stove since I will have significantly less sun than I am used to. Will get a good set of winter tires when the time comes. What do you use to clear snow off you vehicle? Thinking something like a telescoping push broom would be nice. According to the Snow Park site you have to mark each corner of the vehicle overnight if it’s going to snow. What do you use, some kind of fiberglass pole?

Regarding the heater. I purchased the Afterburner controller as I thought it would help me using the heater at high elevations but it’s not as straight forward as I thought it would be. Anyone know how I should be running it?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulC08 View Post
    My brother in law picked one up several months ago and he loves it. Very good use of space, very well thought out. Build quality seems good as he’s had no problems, albeit it’s still fairly new and hasn’t seen a full winter. And the bed is massive.

Thanks! I think one of these is on the short list of assets to acquire. I think I might add a shell or a full Grandby to my camping setup.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Drive slower than when roads are clear. Trailer braking gain should be the opposite of summer with the truck brakes working harder than the trailer's; with the 1ton diesel dodge, this should cause no issues with handling. Don't storm chase, wait for the weather and roads to clear.
    And drive slower. If the other users of the road aren't honking and flipping you the bird, you are probably driving too fast.

20ft FC bambi here. A few trips late fall with nights dipping below -10C, but days above zero, and no issues with freezing. A few trips mid to late winter. Once the days are consistently below freezing, we winterize the pipes and empty the tanks. Been more than comfortable down below -25C overnight with some condensation mgmt. We've put in the dexter 3" lift, never have put chains on her. I've pulled covered sled trailers and used chains, mostly on plowed forestry roads, and it sucks but it does keep the trailer a bit more under control. Tire chains will rattle the shit out of the trailer though - in an airstream it would be like driving on washboard so expect to replace a few interior rivets at the least. Lowering the trailer tire pressure a bit helps, and it's not like you need the high pressure to help dissipate tire heat.
    And did I mention that in shit winter road conditions, you'll be driving slower than everyone else?
    Awesome info and all the things I knew I didn’t know. Especially about proper gain adjustments.

Are you WBCCI?

Looks like we travelled by you in 2018 when we went from Oregon to Glacier, Waterton, Banff, Yoho, and then returned through to the states though Cranbrook. Awesome area, and I hope to get back to ski, but definitely not with the trailer in-tow on those roads in winter.

I will be sure to drive slow when heading up to my local ski areas. Thanks again!

Not a member of WBCCI, but participate on the FB groups and forums when the inevitable wrinkles occur with the trailer. Fun group, but definitely not TGR!

Sounds like you passed a bit south through the Columbias from here; we live just outside the asscrack of the Columbias, sandwiched between the Cariboos and the Northern Monashees, along the hwy5 corridor in Wells Gray country. You would hit Jasper then go south to Kamloops to experience our part of paradise. But the south half of the trench is pretty country for sure, glad you enjoyed it!

Not appropriate for skiing but pretty cool.
    https://classifieds.castanet.net/sea...atenr=&submit=

It is cool, but the price is insane when you consider the condition, and he wants another $10k for the 50 y.o. truck with a "new interior." Oh yeah, sign me up buddy. You could buy Bjarne's van at list price and probably still pay less than what that rig will cost you in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    It is cool, but the price is insane when you consider the condition, and he wants another $10k for the 50 y.o. truck with a "new interior." Oh yeah, sign me up buddy. You could buy Bjarne's van at list price and probably still pay less than what that rig will cost you in the end.
    Agreed. I used to own an Avion trailer, and am still on a few facebook groups. They are very well built, but not perfect. That is probably a $4k camper at best in its current condition. Also, I believe you would need a flatbed or older truck to carry it as they started putting taper in truck beds in the 90's, which causes most old campers to not fit without floor mods.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F3BDF0F9-B9F3-42E1-94F6-BD2C23A6AEFD.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	471.9 KB 
ID:	338214

^that bed has definitely seen more than 34100 miles

Quote Originally Posted by jaywf956 View Post
    Planning on spending this coming winter in my van (Nissan NV2500) based in Mammoth. I have been living in my van for 3 years but never stayed in the mountains in the winter. Any general tips? I am installing a Chinese diesel heater. I reapplied sealant on any potential water ingress spots on the roof. I usually cook on an induction hot plate and never have an issue with battery capacity but I will be picking up a small propane camp stove since I will have significantly less sun than I am used to. Will get a good set of winter tires when the time comes. What do you use to clear snow off you vehicle? Thinking something like a telescoping push broom would be nice. According to the Snow Park site you have to mark each corner of the vehicle overnight if it’s going to snow. What do you use, some kind of fiberglass pole?

Regarding the heater. I purchased the Afterburner controller as I thought it would help me using the heater at high elevations but it’s not as straight forward as I thought it would be. Anyone know how I should be running it?
    mammoth is easy, sort of. don't park overnight in town ever. go 15 min s to the tubs where the weirdos and naked chicks are. when the big storms come, get the fuck out of the way ie bishop. stay up doing meth for a few days while the ocean of snow abates.

buy chains last minute, stand in the middle of 395 taking selfies, install them improperly, leave them on 395. buy an extra pair and throw them out the window.

i kid. mammoth is cool af. cold af too where you will be sleeping. best of luck

Truck has studs. Weight distribution hitch and sway are designed for use in all road conditions. Have Chains for the truck and the trailer (front axle)

I know not to use the exhaust brake. I also know the rules of the resorts in my region about what is on and not ok for trailers. I also.know how to not let shit freeze while camping and all. What else do I not know particularly about driving on ice and snow while towing?
    you would not catch me driving that rig on anything but dry as fuck pavement. god speed mister.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    you would not catch me driving that rig on anything but dry as fuck pavement. god speed mister.
    Already have driven lots of wet, hail-filled, and frosty roads. Airstreams handle almost as well as fifth-wheels.

That stretch of I-80 is no joke. We drove it 3 Decembers in a row in our outback with great tires, we mostly got luck with the road surface but the wind would blow through the doors. Even I would wrap my legs in a down throw.

^ yep. tires and patience. that's all it comes down to.

i'll see if i can dig up the crossing where there were at least 80 big rigs, jack knifed, flipped, disposed of by the gauntlet!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2129.jpeg 
Views:	128 
Size:	248.9 KB 
ID:	338578

So thought we would only use this thing for the ski season and was so wrong...! We enjoy as much or more during the summer and fall... Kicked with all of our fellow dirt bags this weekend... Everyone including us is getting ready for the winter...! Fall cleaning...!

Why wouldn't you use the exhaust brake? That's what it's for. I tow a 10k+lbs skid steer in the winter with my ram 2500, no big deal if you take your time. Chains should always go on back axle maybe one on front to steer.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Exhaust brake on ice? Es no bueno.

Any type of engine braking applies braking to only the drive wheels, so an EB, on slick roads, in 2wd will brake the rear end loose. There seems to be a bit of debate about using it while in 4wd. Braking would be going to the drive and the steers, but there would be no trailer braking, so still a chance to jackknife.

I think between chains and 1/2 speed of normal roads I wouldn’t need engine braking.

Well I won’t be in the parking lot this winter anyway. I just booked a full-hookup in the town at the bottom of the hill for the whole winter.

In super icy conditions going downhill I will put the SUV in neutral so there is less chance of drive wheels locking up due to engine braking.

Seems like a sketchy idea to hand your vehicle over to just gravity and brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Seems like a sketchy idea to hand your vehicle over to just gravity and brakes.
    I'm with you. I don't often use a diesel engine braking system; our heavy hauler is a 4X4 dually F450 flatdeck, and pulling a loaded trailer and deck in winter, I have no qualms of using the engine to control my descent on an iceed-over, out-sloped forestry road. Speed stays under 20kph, with chains on the duallys and maybe on one front wheel. Slamming into a lower gear at higher speeds to retard the drivetrain is not desirable, however, but then the same applied to heavy brake application in the same conditions. I would never go down a grade in neutral, especially with a heavy load or pulling a trailer.